Predictions Game Time!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by GrandpaBlaze, Sep 30, 2014.

1. GrandpaBlaze

GrandpaBlaze Predictions Game Master

I know there is a sticky with the rules but how many really look at the stickies?

With the first pre-season game coming up in a week, I figure it is time to get the annual what is it, and rules post out there.

I look forward to another fun year!

-----

GrandpaBlaze's Blazer Predictions Game

To (hopefully) increase the amount of fun in our Blazer season for us fans, the Blazer predictions game, started

in the 1999/2000 season, returns for the sixteenth year. The predictions game works as follows:

Prior to the start of each game, predict the final score for the game. For example, Blazers 104, Lakers 99.

Predictions made after the start of the game will not be accepted.

Once the game is complete, the results are calculated as follows:
    1. You picked the right team to win
    2. Total difference in score
    3. Difference from team you predicted to win's actual score

Using the above prediction (Blazers 104, Lakers 99), if the actual score turned out to be Blazers 107, Lakers

106 the results would be as follows:

1. Pick the right team? Yes
    2. Total Difference = 10 (Diff between Blazer actual and predicted of 3 + diff between Laker actual and

predicted of 7)
    3. Difference from Blazer actual = 3

Assume the following predictions for the actual 107-106 game:

A. Blazers 104, Lakers 99
    B. Blazers 103, Lakers 100
    C. Blazers 94, Lakers 90
    D. Lakers 106, Blazers 105
    E. Lakers 101, Blazers 90
    F. Blazers 114, Lakers 87

The ranking for the game would be as follows:
    1. A (right team, tot diff 10, Blazer diff 3)
    2. B (right team, tot diff 10, Blazer diff 4)
    3. F (right team, tot diff 26, Blazer diff 7)
    4. C (right team, tot diff 29, Blazer diff 13)
    5. D (wrong team, tot diff 2, Laker diff 0)
    6. E (wrong team, tot diff 22, Laker diff 5)

Cumulative Results are calculated as follows:
    1. Average individual game rank
    2. Average total difference
    3. Average Predicted Team difference
    4. Number of games predicted.

Cumulative results are posted for the month (October is combined with November), first and second half of the

season, and full season. In order to appear in the cumulative results, you must have predicted at least two-

thirds (66%) of the games played in the time period for the cumulative ranking AND must have predicted at least

7 of the past 10 games (i.e., you must stay active in order to appear in the cumulative standings).

Seasons:
    There are at least two and potentially three distinct seasons. Preseason stands independent of the regular

season. How you do in the preseason has no impact on how you do in the regular season. The potential third

season is if the Blazers make the playoffs. The playoffs predictions are separate from the regular season

predictions and all series are rolled together for one post-season predictions game.

Additional Info:
    - This game is open to anyone (Blazer fan or not)
    - All predictions should be in the prediction thread for a given game.
    If you do not see a prediction thread, create one.
    - Multiple game predictions can be made at once.
    - For extended predictions lists (i.e., you are going on a vacation, etc.) PM the predictions to me.

One final note. I will not accept predictions from anyone I ignore (in other words, don't be a troll).

Another final note: One and only one prediction will be accepted. You can edit you prediction and the edit

may, or may not, be taken. If you edit the prediction after it has already been recorded, the edit change will

not be counted (I'm not going to go back through all the posts to see if anyone changed their mind); if you edit

the prediction before I record it, then the new prediction will be recorded. When I record the predictions is

arbitrary, sometimes will before the game and at other times after the start of the game. If you "edit" a

prediction by posting a new prediction in another message, the first post seen will be the one counted - so if

you change your prediction, edit your first post.

Prediction Timing: Keep in mind that all predictions must be posted prior to game start or they will be

ignored. As I don't always know the exact time a game starts, plan on getting all predictions in prior to

scheduled game start.

Enjoy!

Gramps...

Strenuus likes this.
  2. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

3. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Repped! Thanks again Gramps!

By the way, if you just look at that gif without seeing the words, it looks more like he's saying "YEAH BOY!"