Here's an idea.....

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by Rick2583, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

If the Yankees are set to have A-Roid return to 3rd base next season as Girardi has indicated, then how about we resign Headley & introduce him to shortstop? I know he's never played the position before BUT.....he'd be a lot better option then the no-hit clowns Drew & Ryan. Besides having also played around 200 games in the outfield I think the Yankees could still get him 400-500 ABs next season.

What do you guys think?

2. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I don't know if he has the range to be a SS. Huge difference between being a third baseman and going to SS than the other way around.

3. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    I'd have to agree with Messiah, on this one......

How about we go steal Tulo.....(I know it may never happen, other than being a dream, but hey what are dreams for)....?

Agreed the Yanx should off Drew ASAP....

4. Rick2583

Hey Rob I too would love to see Tulo at SS for the Yankees for the next 8-10 years but it'll never happen. With that said I've just got this really bad feeling that next season you're going to see nothing more then Ryan or Drew at SS. GOD! I really hope I'm wrong.

5. blgridesagain

blgridesagain team player

How about if he gets his ABs at 3B, DH, and 1B?

6. Rick2583

]

Well for one that would still leave the question, "What to do at SS". And 1st base? I think we all know that even if Teixeira is hitting 200 Joe is still going to keep sending him out there so Headley MIGHT get 80-100 ABs at first MAYBE. And DH will in all likihood be taken up by Beltran. I just think trying him at SS might not be a bad idea. And better then the alternative (Ryan/Drew). JMO.

7. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...no need to shoe horn Headley into a position he's not familiar with and probably the most important position on the field...there are multiple viable FA shortstops that will test the market...not to mention trade possibilities.

Mike Aviles (34) – $3.5MM club option with a $250k buyout
    Clint Barmes (36)
    Asdrubal Cabrera (29)
    Stephen Drew (32)
    Rafael Furcal (37)
    J.J. Hardy (32)
    Jed Lowrie (31)
    John McDonald (40)
    Nick Punto (37) – $2.75MM club/vesting option with a $250K buyout
    Hanley Ramirez (31)

8. Rick2583

4 of those 10 players are over 35 but if its only a 1 year deal that might be alright BUT.............

Aviles & Barnes have career OBP under 3 & around 250 hitters.
    Furcal a career 280 hitter & 37 but for the 3.5M he made this past year he may be okay for a 1 year rental.
    John McDonald...HELL NO!
    Nick Punto - he's done.
    Stephen Drew - If he'll take it 1 year maybe 3M & if he sucks during ST the Yankees can eat the 3M

NOW.........Cabreara - a 268 career hitter who can play both SS & 2B & only 28 years old. He earned $10M this past season & will probably be looking for a multi year contract, If he'll take it I'd go maybe 4 years @ $52M

Jed Lowrie, I've always liked him, a switch hitter who can play SS, 2B & 3B. Has some pop (12-15 HRs) a career 260 hitter, only 31 & only earned $5.2M this past season. 3 years @ $21M might get it done.

J.J. Hardy 31 a 260 career hitter with HR power & only earned $7M this past year with the Orioles. I'd go 3 years @ $25M. But would he?

And lastly, Hanley Ramirez. Can play both SS & 3rd base, a career 300 hitter with HR pop but has missed 120 games over the last 2 seasons. Made $16M this season. In all likelihood won't except anything less then $20M per.

9. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...Drew really shot himself in the foot this year...first by not taking the Sox' QO, then after sitting out several months he played horribly when he did return. Any leverage he and Boras might have had is long gone.

...Cabrera, Hardy, and Lowrie (who I lobbied for earlier) would all work...and Hanley too if he could stay healthy.

10. Rick2583

Its a shame about Drew, I hope the kid can relocate his game where ever he ends up.

11. blgridesagain

blgridesagain team player

Asdrubal Cabrera (29) looks like the best cost-effective package.
    The rest are either a bit too old, too expensive, not good enough, or suck.

12. Rick2583

Refer to post #8, I wouldn't mind Lowrie (reasons explained) or Hardy.

13. Mattingly23NY

My own preferences are well reflected in Rick's and Ron's threads.....

I keep having nightmares over Drew playing SS or even being in the Yanx Roster next year.....

(keep in mind, I was once a fan of Drew's, as I saw him play in A+ ball here in Lancaster, with the Jethawks, (originally a M's minor lg., team, then D'back, Bosox for 1 yr. only, then to present day Stro's....

I've seen some damn good talent come up here or play vs the Jet Hawks here. In the last 5-6 years, we've had Trout play against these Hawks, Altuve was a staring 2nd baseman, as was Drew earlier for the D'back-Hawks. Drew hit 10 HR's and double digit Triples too, with a .38XX Bavg, in Single A.

Then became anemic in MLB.....uncanny how many Minor Leaguer's have played here to not reach the level or potential scouts say they will.....ie, Drew, Jose Cruz Jr. being the 1st prospect out of the then New Minor Lg. Franchise here in the shit hole Mojave Desert......

I'd definitely pass on Furcal, and most those aforementioned by Rick and 59.....

I still want to see Tulo, or Andrelton Simmons on the Yanx, to nail down the SS position,....

I also have nightmares of Hanley Ramirez take over SS for the Yanx. Keep in mind, the Bums have refused to give Ramirez a extended or new contract.....Why?????
    Because most of this year, His head has NOT been in the game. In but one game, this year, I can never forget Ramirez totally failing to cover 2nd base, to Turn Two, during a shift on the hitter. Ramirez literally stood 10 feet behind 2nd, not so much as even moving his feet, when Dee Gordon fielded a sure fire double play only to catch the batter at 1st, while the runner at 1st, took 2nd at will, while HR had his head up his ass.

I've seen too much lackadaisical of an attitude and approach with HR, which I have not seen until last year, (2013).....its no wonder the Bums said several months ago, they would NOT tender HR an offer, and its obvious as to why not.....

Altho' I like HR quit a bit, when he was a Marlin, and 1st became a Bum.....I used Ramirez almost a decade ago, as a rookie and 2nd year player, in Fantasy BSPN baseball, he paid off big dividends......so I don't really give a shit if HR comes to the Bronx, tho' he will never have the approach or attitude of say Tulo.....

Perhaps, a change of scenery from Chavez Ravine to the Bronx is just what HR needs.....I only hope it work out well for both, NY & HR....if that is the case, then he just may return to earlier form....(shit, I'd even say a prayer for as much, only after all roads to Tulo are depleted.....

14. totus44

totus44 Lord of the Dark Side

Do a deal with the Cubs, they have 2 top SS prospects.

15. Mattingly23NY

shit didn't mean to write a novel above.....:lol:

PS: these Stro's Minor league system have some hellacious SP's coming their way....

I saw this big kid, by the name of Velasquez, constantly throwing 98 mph, and can be un-hitable, with a nice change up and slider, as well as a great hook of a curve ball. Last game I watched Velasquez, throw 6 innings, with but 2 hits, and 10 K's in those 6 scoreless innings.,..

The Stanford grad, and #1 Draft pick of 2013, was the Stro's Mark Appel, who threw unhittable ball, only to blow his elbow out. Upon his return after TJ surgery, Appel was shelled for a 1-5 record, with a >10.XX ERA.....

The Astro's called Appel up to Double AA ball, with a shitty record. Several A+ SP's had a sub 2.5 ERA, and were pissed off they did not receive the call to double AA. Appel was given a cool Million Dollar signing bonus, which the other SP's did NOT get. Plus the Stro's have alot riding on Appel, who may be washed up. Upon getting the call to AA, the Astro's brought Appel into Houston so the Ryan's could see his stuff off of the MLB mound before his AA assignment.....I'd effing love to see the Yanx steal some of these other teams SP's.....altho' IMO, the Yanx have a decent Minor Lg. system of SP's....IMHO, that tis....

16. Mattingly23NY

Now that may be a better viable option yet.....than previously stated.......

NTM-IF the Yanx could land Bill Murray as their Mascot, along with a Cubs SS, then I'd seal that deal in a heart beat...:lol:

I saw a pretty good 30 minute piece on the Ahmad Rashad show of B. Murray and Ahmad playing Golf....effing hilarious too.....

Tote or anyone else, did anyone read the National Daily Sports News Paper when it came out in the late 80s? Murray graced the cover, with a week long interview b/t the journalist and Bill M. That was one of the hysterical and funniest Interview I have ever read on Murray, as well as his antics at Wrigley. Murray at one point hung over the top of the dugout, offering Zim, the Mgr. then, if he wanted a drink of Bill's Heineken, which Bill was waving into the dugout, when Zim scowled at Murray, Bill held his Chili Fries out to Zim, and offered those also to Zim....the stories abound, in that great INterview......

anyone ever read it?????

17. Hammerojustice

Hammerojustice Chief Caveman, Keeper of Thor's Hammer

What Rick said... Not sure on the $$$, but the options I agree with