Better athletes NBA player or MMA fighters

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by Celtic Fan, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

Had this discussion on another site. The thread started as a 'Is LeBron the best all around athlete in the world' thread and then it became about basketball players and other athletes in general. I stated that MMA fighters are the best all around athletes.

I rationaled that's why you see NBA and NFL (and I think NHL) players train MMA but you don't see MMA fighters doing basketball and football drills.

P4P I believe MMA fighters are the best all around athletes, but what I'd really love to see if a rejuvenation of the old Superstars series that ABC used to run putting athletes from a cross section of sports in athletic competitions that is similar to those World's strongest man competitions. Usually it was football players who won out 8/10.

so who are the best all around athletes in your opinion?

2. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

The NBA is very specialized due to the fact that the average player is 2m tall. That eliminates a massive amount of competition. Track and soccer players, for example, have considerably more competition. By that shaky reasoning they are that much more elite.

Fighters are in a similar vein to NBA players in that it goes beyond athleticism and skill. A fighter's mentality is rare. Most people avoid or abhor fighting so the competition they face to become elite is lessened. Of course in the case of basketball players and pugilists there are outliers.

Traditionally the winner of the Olympic decathlon is considered the best overall athlete in the world. If it's just about speed, power, and finesse, I think ice hockey might be a good place to look.

3. Celtic Fan

I know that the decathalon has been traditionally recognized as the best overall athlete, but I think the better athletes are competing in sports that pay better.. ie football, soccer across the pond, basketball, baseball etc. Just like if the US didn't have NFL football, I'm sure they'd be a world power in rugby, but NFL pays in north america and Rugby does not.

I was just thinking if someone created an event like the old Superstars show that ABC used to show with a big enough payday to entice the best athletes from all the sports, MMA fighters would come out as some of the best routinely. Most likley NFL WR's, LB's, Safety's and some TE's would do really well to.

Here's the discussion if you want to read it.
    http://hoops-nation.com/community/topic/111458-lebron-james-best-athlete-in-the-world/

4. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    NFL players did win quite a few of those Superstars events, but there were lots of athletes from other sports who won, too.

At least the US version that was televised on ABC way back when. The list of winners is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstars_(US_Version)

5. Celtic Fan

yes I saw that list. I think the issue was the time of the year too. Some athletes probably couldn't compete, maybe that's why you never (or seldom) saw NBA or NHL players compete.

I think the core strength of MMA fighters along with a lot of them having a wrestling background (wrestlers are know for having a phenomenal work ethic) would lead to them consistently coming out on top or being in contention for best all around athlete.

on the other site, one guy contends that the decision making bball players need to make, along with their quickness, hops and skillset make them the best all around athlete. I think MMA requires more decision making with 8 limbed striking, grappling and BBJ all being components of a fight.

6. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    It depends on what "better" means.

The athletes all train very hard, but for different objectives depending on their sport.

A guy like Bo Jackson was an elite track and field guy who also was nearly dominant at both baseball and football. He may well have gotten his ass kicked by a girl, though.

7. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

8. Celtic Fan

I was thinking of all around athleticism like a Superstars event but it wouldn't cater to a specific sport. Or if it did, then it should cater one event to all the major sports.

at least that's what I had envisioned.