Jimmy is getting PAID

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by bulls_with_booz, Oct 11, 2014.

1. bulls_with_booz

bulls_with_booz We're Selfish

You can see it in his play that he's going for a career year. A young guard/wing who can defend and score. What is his value? I see it near the max in the crazy world we live in. He can make big money in this market.

2. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I'm sure we all hope he has that career year. If he re-signs with the Bulls, I'm sure we all hope he has career years in all subsequent seasons.

If Butler can score something like 16ppg on .550 TS% type efficiency, I agree that the first year of his new contract will be 8 figures.

3. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    19 days to sign an extension.

I think not. You?

4. transplant

My brain says no. Besides the usual disagreements that occur in these kind of negotiations, you have the colossal question of just how the new TV deal will impact new contracts.

5. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    If Jimmy becomes RFA, what are the odds (in your mind) he ends up back with the Bulls?

I think < 30%.

6. bulls_with_booz

bulls_with_booz We're Selfish

No way we match on a max offer if Butler becomes an RFA. He might be worth the max, but the Bulls FO will play hard ball with him.

7. transplant

Unlike the Asik situation, the Bulls have full Bird rights with Butler...no "poison pill" season.

Because of Reinsdorf, the Bulls won't agree to what appears to be a stupid contract. Reinsdorf's pathology is all about making good deals. If Butler has a sub-par season, but some other team is willing to bet against the trend, I can see the Bulls letting Butler walk rather than paying him big money. On the other hand, if Butler has a good season and what he's offered elsewhere is not too outlandish, I'd expect the Bulls to match.

8. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I expect if he improves by 2 PPG, he is going to be offered well into 8 figures. More than Noah makes. Definitely more than Taj.

9. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, but Butler isn't going to score 16 ppg on that level of efficiency right? You're suggesting that Butler is going to learn how to shoot. I don't think we've seen anything to suggest that we should expect that.

As to the OP, I wouldn't be surprised if Butler doesn't receive the offers you're anticipating. The new recipe seems to be to keep three shooters on the floor at all times, if you're looking at the Suns and kind of the Spurs. I think there's merit to the trend too. If you could pluck Klay Thompson off of Golden State (who by the way is going to sign for less than a max deal for security reasons (http://espn.go.com/nba/preview2014/story/_/id/11683092/klay-thompson-verge-big-score)) and put him on the Bulls I think you'd have a roster that would be favored to win a championship. If Jimmy Butler can't score efficiently and predictably off of his jumper, there's going to be a ceiling to his value and the offers he receives.

10. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

I can see Jimmy becoming a reliable shooter with his feet set, but I can't see him being a high usage player. The best thing about his offense is that he knows to stick to what he's good at and makes it work. My early impressions from preseason are that he'll be the biggest beneficiary of Pau's presence on offense. He's almost perfect for getting guys like Butler good looks at the basket, which might allow Jimmy to have a lot of 14 point nights on 5-8 shooting w/ 3-4 FTA's, which might trick a few desperate GM's into thinking he can manufacture that kind of offense on his own.

11. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even with his regression type stats of last year, where does he rank among these guys?

12. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Gasol and Butler have been playing well together. I would not be surprised to see Butler's scoring average rise this season.

As for extension. I can see the Bulls waiting to see what he is offered.

If we make the NBA finals, we may match any offer.

13. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
  14. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

If he keeps playing the way he has played in preseason then he could turn that down.

We have burned in the past. Gordon, Deng, Asik, although Asik was a surprise. We still may match due to the TV revenue. But, in the past is says we don't.