Mirotic, Thibs

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by Denny Crane, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    [TWEET]522943297719787520[/TWEET]

2. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I don't know if this has anything to do with anything, but one of the things I've noticed is that Mirotic sometimes needs to remind himself to bust his ass in defensive transition. This probably doesn't endear him to the coach.

Shooting only 40% probably doesn't help things either.

3. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

I'm going to attack the messenger because he certainly seems like a douche. Let's unpack this.

Cheap shot at fans.

Okay, Mirotic has been 6-16 in the FIVE PRESEASON GAMES he's played. That's 38% from the field. You know what that is? Better than Kevin Love has shot from 3 every season except 2010-2011.

An unequivocal truth.

And we have a non sequitor cheap shot. You know how I know this douche is wrong? Thibs plays four big men. He played Nazr. He played Brian Scalabrine and Kurt Thomas due to injuries. Mirotic is going to get minutes if by default.

4. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

He certainly has habits to break. But I feel like I can say, as with McDermott, that he's looked better as each game progressed. His scoring has been inconsistent, but his play against ATL was miles less flawed than his play against Milwaukee. The dude is figuring it out, and quickly.

And his shooting hasn't been great, but I'm thrilled at how well his athleticism has translated. He's had speed advantages in every match up he's played. I still think he's going to be a real contributor within 20 games.

5. kukoc4ever

kukoc4ever Let's win a ring! Staff Member Moderator

Both these guys are rookies. There are going to be ups and downs. To expect to see some kind of polished, finished product at this point is crazy.

Hopefully one of the them can be a key playoff contributor this year and hopefully both next year. That's a more realistic expectation.

6. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Undeniably true, but these two are very atypical rookies. They aren't 19 or 20, they're 22 and 23. Mirotic has been playing for money for somthing like 6 years. McDermott has been playing against NBA stars and under NBA coaching the past two summers.

While it's fair to cut these guys a little slack, they aren't Marquis Teague.. We should be talking months, not years.

7. kukoc4ever

kukoc4ever Let's win a ring! Staff Member Moderator

Yah, they are older rookies, but its not like this is can't miss talent we're talking about here.

McDermott was the #11 pick in the draft. The expectations on him are *way* too high, IMO.

The NBA game is going to be an adjustment for an incoming Euro player. Adjustments will have to be made. Its no guarantee that they will be made or if he has what it takes to be a very good NBA player. Some of the skills are there, but we've all seen plenty of young, promising players just not make it in the NBA.

The expectations for both of these guys are out of whack, IMO, especially when it comes to immediate impact. I'm in "wait and see" mode for both of them.

8. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

I think I agree with this.

If you look at them now, Mirotic and Dougie look a long ways away from where we ultimately need them to be to win a chip.

That sounds disappointing, but if there were no expectations you'd have to say they're doing very well. They're seeing the court regularly, have a decent grasp of the schemes, and you get the feeling both of them have an NBA game. They're both miles ahead of where other rookies have been at this point.

The good news is that the season is long, so I think both will have plenty of chances to get their feet underneath them.