Only excuses can hold Blazers back

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by South East, Oct 21, 2014.

1. South East

South East Writing Team

I wrote a piece about the outlook for the season and why we may not be giving the Blazers enough credit. Here is the link but I will post the whole thing.

Only excuses can hold Blazers back

It's so hard to have your heart ripped out every time things appear to be turning around but it's time for some real unbridled optimism for Blazer fans. I can throw stats around to support this view. Chris Kaman's per 36 numbers of nineteen points, ten rebounds and over one and a half blocks in the last two seasons will really help the anemic bench. I can talk about the improved transition defense and how Damian Lillard spent time with team USA and impressed with his defensive effort. These are not the reasons fans should be optimistic though, it's not that tangible.

The offseason has been filled with reasons from pundits and fans alike for why the Portland Trail Blazers won't equal their 54 win total from last year. "The west is better this year", "they won't surprise anyone", "they can't shoot as well as they did last year", or "did they really improve their bench?". The truth is these are not reasons, they're excuses. There is only one reason this team won't be better than last year...if they start listening to the excuses.

Why should there be optimism with so many built-in excuses for this team? Take a quick glance at the roster, I'll wait here for you. What are two things this Blazer team has more of than ever before? One clue, I'm not talking about talent, even though there's loads. This team has heart and perseverance. Everything always starts at the top so you look at Lamarcus Aldridge. Do you remember "LaMarshmello"? Everyone thought he was too soft to be a franchise player and would never change. He could have listened to his critics and continued to shoot 20 foot jumpers but instead he worked every offseason to add new dimensions to his game and is now a three-time Allstar.

Damian Lillard became the 6th overall pick by the Blazers even though no major college would offer him a scholarship. do you remember all the publicity Wesley Mathews was getting before the 2009 draft? No you don't! Because no one wanted Mathews, they wouldn't even take a chance on him in the second round. He signed with the Utah Jazz as an undrafted free agent and started his rookie year as their shooting guard. The next year the Blazers signed him to a 5 year $34 million contract.

As you continue to look down the roster you see the offseason acquisitions the Blazers made bringing in a former Allstar who everyone has written off in Chris Kaman and the always overachieving Steve Blake. There are not two better examples of players who are fighting through adversity or have had doubters their whole careers. You also have a player who's been compared to his twin brother and until recently was more of an afterthought when you said Lopez. Robin has now fully stepped out of his brothers shadow. This team just doesn't care what everyone is saying. Never has and, if they want to make the next step, never will.

I'm sure at some point soon we will talk about transition defense, minutes for the bench and the grueling schedule. There will be some points in the season when you'll be screaming that this team isn't as good as last year, but rest assured these players won't be listening.

2. Boise Blazer

Boise Blazer Thread Lightly

Repped, nice work. I hope that heart is the defining characteristic for this team. Because if it is then barring injuried the rest wont really matter.

3. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Good piece brother! Repped

4. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

That and defense

5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

After losing to the Spurs in the playoffs, every coach and player has emphasized defensive improvement and from summer league to preseason shown improved effort on the court. I don't think goals are excuses. Not resigning Mo was more than likely a commitment to defensive improvement

6. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Well, that, and other people getting the basketball at some point.

7. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

That is one hell of a good piece!! Can't wait to see Kaman & Blake this season!

8. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    To be truly a good defensive team, you must have a "team oriented" philosophy. There is no mistake that our 4th quarter defense was so much better than the first 3 quarters. Our bench used to be absolutely horrible defensively. When a teammate blows their defensive assignment, you put the entire team at a defensive advantage. With Mo, he was always getting abused on the defensive end. It was soon hard to watch.

I'm hoping Blake and Kaman will add that "bench improvement" on the defensive end. That way we can keep the leads and stomp on the throats of teams when we have a lead. That wasn't the case most the time last season.

9. gatorpops

gatorpops Allen Crabb hits winning shot on Nov24 vs Blazers

Honey-Do's
    Great peice. My thoughts exactly. Looks like you are vieing for a seat at the Press Table soon????

Maybe/probably a 60 win season.

10. South East

South East Writing Team

It just seems everyone is hedging their bet with the Blazers this year. You can argue they had the best starting 5 in the west and new arrivals and growth from young guys have improved the bench. There is no way this team shouldn't be a top 3 seed. The ride is a lot better when expectations are low because you don't get disappointed.