Update on hitting coach???

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by Hammerojustice, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Hammerojustice

Hammerojustice Chief Caveman, Keeper of Thor's Hammer

Last I heard, the only two verified candidates (Chili Davis & Dave Magadan) are out as Boston signed Chili & the Yankees are no longer pursuing Magadan. Anyone hear anything?

2. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

I just read the same thing. The thing I love is Cashman on his decision not to pursue Magadan said, "We're going in a different direction" Wait.......what? What the hell does that even mean. What DIFFERENT direction is this ass-wipe talking about?

3. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...typical Cashman doublespeak.

4. Hammerojustice

All that means is that they don't want him... anything other than him by definition is a different direction...

5. Pastafazul

Pastafazul Banned User BANNED

ME, i would have each and everyone of these guys back on track, and why is that you ask..... cause i wouldn't be afraid to tell them the truth and what has to be done to get back on track..

6. yankeesince59

...they'd kick your ass.

7. totus44

totus44 Lord of the Dark Side

How is that doublespeak? After talking to the candidate he decided to go in a different direction. Its the legally correct way of saying we decided not to offer x a position in our company. What he said was professional and proper. Jesus tap dancing Christ get off the guys back for a second. I'm not Cashman's fan either, but their are plenty of other places to criticize the guy. In this instance he's done nothing to warrant your ire.

8. Pastafazul

Pastafazul Banned User BANNED

kick my tucas? i don't think so! these guys would respect me like i was the best hitter eva, Y, cause i know how to talk to 1 1 on 1.... hitting is all about being relaxed, its all confidence... they got here how they got here, to do any drastic change to a stance, position in box, or how you hold the bat is just prolonging the slump, guys always return back to their natural form anyway, its all about ego, and thats where i come in, i would knock that chip off their shoulder and get it into their heads, its about the team, yea it mite be called an individual sport statistically..... but its about the team!! teamwork makes the dreamwork

9. Hammerojustice

That's what I was thinking!

10. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

So by OTHER DIRECTION he really meant "We don't want you we want someone else" Well then just grow a pair of balls & say that.

11. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    Cash-Hole was neutered at birth.....

in order to tell the truth, one first must know the truth. Those who know the truth, don't brag how they'd do this or that, they just do it, without fanfare, or drawing attention to themselves. Otherwise pomp and circumstance get in the way, of said truth....

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  12. yankeesince59

...^^^because rick, evidently, some people assume there's only one meaning of the term "doublespeak", and that it was used in a derogatory way to bash Cashman.

...many GMs, politicians, etc., tightrope issues or topics by using it instead of more deliberate terms...and though Cashman has been known to practice it in the past, doublespeak is not necessarily a bad thing. But the "assuming" is kinda funny...in fact, the whole thread has turned funny.

13. yankeesince59

...no, I was right the first time...they'd kick your ass.

14. Mattingly23NY

Pasta's statement just proved beyond a shadow of a doubt; he really doesn't have a clue, in Hitting Instruction, not an ounce of knowledge at all, certainly not when it comes to Hitting Instruction....for- "the self proclaimed experienced one, guru"...... I really expected more than proof, he ain't gotta' clue with this game....

15. blgridesagain

blgridesagain team player

How about finding **one of greatest/best retired hitters from the past 5-15 years, offer him a few bucks if he wants to, and let him be the hitting coach....allow HIM to make his various miscellaneous comments and suggestions to slumping hitters instead of some jerk/nerd who tries to impress everybody with his thousands of hours of film watching and over-analytical mumbo-jumbo---> (Kevin Long? lol)

**He'll get their attention, and has earned it!

For example, someone like The Great Tony Gwynn (RIP) would've been ideal.
    There are others...
    It creates sort of, a situation like that old E.F Hutton TV commercial:
    "when E.F. Hutton talks, people listen"

I'm kinda joking around....AND KIND OF SERIOUS!

Just like when a respected grizzled old veteran manager from a past baseball generation who also happened to be a pretty good hitter in his day, for instance Joe Torre - would give a tip and suggestion here and there to slumping batters....and you can BET they heard it and paid attention!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  16. Mattingly23NY

Honestly the one Hitting Instructor I'd like to see is Rod Carew.....Carew was almost a Yankee, in a deal that feel thru decades ago. Carew has a lasting impact on any and all Player's he worked with as Hitting Coach for the Halos, and Brewhahas. Although Carew had a public hitting school in the Inland Empire of LA, he gave my own son the traditional 8 week one on one, (with additional film studies of each public kid, he tutored). I watched numerous Little Leaguer's, American Legion, and High School kids, gain a "On Fire", yet patience approach, enabling every single kid, I watched Carew give instruction too, in 88.

My own son, had a .342 Batting Avg, as a JR. in High School. As the next HS baseball season came, Joshua, let the local HS League with a unbelievable .429 Batting Avg, on the year. He also doubled his walks, RBI's, Doubles, Hits, you name it. Carew is the only soul, who pays dividends in his instruction.

Carew the one who got away and almost made it in trade to Pinstripes, but then what would of became of Donnie BB???

HooYah, YowZa, Carew the King of Swat, and place hitting....none better IMO, in his day....Yeppers...,! :smile:

17. blgridesagain

blgridesagain team player

Yep, Carew.
    Sweet swing, magician-like with the stick.

Carew-- a guy who most definitely kept the defense honest.

18. yankeesince59

...hiring someone that was once a great hitter doesn't always work out, and it surely won't work unless he's working with the right group of hitters on a certain team.

...getting stubborn batters to buy into what the coach is showing them is the problem...before every game during batting practice, players take some time out of the pregame session to hit a few balls to the opposite field and/or up the middle. So the ability to do so is obviously there.
    ...unfortunately, the coach cannot make the hitter apply this batting practice drill to actual game time ABs. That mindset is ultimately up to the individual player himself. And stubbornly myopic pull hitting sluggers like Tex still insist on trying to hit through the shift, which plays right into the hands of the defense and hurts his team's chances of being productive.

19. Hammerojustice

Most great hitters are horrible coaches.... Just saying

20. yankeesince59

...Ted Williams comes to mind.