Tom Thibodeau right out of Bill Belichick playbook

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by truebluefan, Oct 22, 2014.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Tom Thibodeau grew up in Connecticut a fan of the Patriots, especially favorite player Sam "Bam" Cunningham. But the Bulls coach really turns into a kid again describing the current leader of his boyhood team.

"I don't know that there's a better football coach out there,'' Thibodeau said Tuesday of the Patriots' Bill Belichick. "He has won for so long. He's special. To me, he's the all-time best.''

Thibodeau holds such reverence for Belichick it's surprising he doesn't break out a red hoodie occasionally for Bulls games.

"I hope nobody there takes for granted what's going on because it's really special,'' said Thibodeau, who says he likes the Bears too. "Every year, Bill finds a way. When (Tom) Brady went down (in 2008), they didn't mail in the season and went (11-5). It's almost expected.''

He met Belichick when former Celtics coach Doc Rivers introduced them during Thibodeau's stint as a Celtics assistant from 2007-10. A mutual respect developed between two like-minded coachaholics, grinders Rivers later compared favorably after Thibodeau arrived in Chicago. Both attended East Coast colleges; Thibodeau graduated from Salem State in Massachusetts and Belichick went to Wesleyan University in Middletown, Conn., 15 miles from Thibodeau's hometown of New Britain. Mostly, they shared a common love for work, defense and videotape — and for doing your job right.

Read more http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...riots-bears-haugh-spt-10-20141021-column.html