Dear coach Stotts

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mediocre Man, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

37 and 36 minutes for Aldridge and Lillard respectively is ridiculous in the pre season. As an organization they need to be finding ways to decrease playing time.

2. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    It was one game. Settle down.

3. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I think he's trying to get them into game shape. I could be wrong though

4. julius

singer songwriter
    he probably realized that he knows more about the sport than us, and that with a game tomorrow (well, tonight) he wouldn't play them much in back to backs. So if they play like 10-15 minutes tonight, that's averaged out to about 22-26 minutes averaged out between the two games.

Surely, we should start a letter starting campaign! Or at least, make threads about it because THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!

5. magnifier661

Lol

6. julius

singer songwriter
    In the Cavs/Bulls game, Loved played 35, James played 32 and Irving played 39.

So....mountain out of a mole hill much?

7. Mediocre Man

mock all you want, but, but don't start any threads complaining about injuries or fatigue because of too many minutes. LA and Lillard are always near the top, and it will get them at some point

8. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Yeah they have not played a game since last Friday, now they have 3 road games in 4 days, and then 5 days off until the next game. And Lillard has barely played at all. 37 minutes last night is no big deal.

I would give them limited minutes tonight and then more minutes again on Friday.

9. julius

singer songwriter
    Dude, it was ONE game. Settle the fuck down.

The most minutes they (both) played prior to last nights game? 24 minutes. Lillard had only played in 2 games prior to last night. So really, it's not actually that big of a deal.

But feel free to find something to mediocreman about.

10. Mediocre Man

This entire thread should be closed. My bad for being concerned and not thinking everything was rainbows and butterflies.

Shut it down, Sly

11. julius

singer songwriter
    Glad to see you haven't changed your ways, at all.
    If you're thinking that 1 game of 36 and 37 minutes, when the most they played before that was 24 (and one player only played in 2 games this pre-season prior to it), is really worth signaling the alarm, then good for you. But don't act like the only thing people want is "rainbows and butterflies", when they're pointing out you overreacted just a tad.

Victim complex much?

Maybe if he played them major minutes every game in the pre-season, barely used the bench...or played them 35+ minutes tonight, your overreaction might be warranted. People reacted to overreactions, much like with mixum.

You reacted like this after the very first game where they played more than 24 minutes. Now you honestly can't say you didn't overreact, can you?

The very first game they played more than 24 minutes? It's like you were desperate to come up with something to complain about, saw this (and didn't seem to use perspective) and went with it. And for some reason, you're surprised that people didn't join you in lock step.

It was 1 game. No one has said they should be playing 36+ minutes each night because people know it's pre-season. No one is going to be surprised (or probably care) if they play limited minutes tonight, because we have the ability to reason and use the rationale of "oh, it's pre-season and they don't play major minutes. Occasionally they do, but 1 game out of 5 isn't worth getting upset over".

Try it some time.

12. Mediocre Man

No victim. I know these threads piss people off, and I shouldn't start them. People don't want to hear negative opinions unless they themselves start to agree with them. Like the Nate McMillan threads I used to start. People hated them until others.....3 years later started feeling the same way, then everyone started threads bashing him and piled on. I need to be more reactionary and wait until the majority of the forum sees issues I see in order to keep a more happy forum

13. magnifier661

That's what I was thinking too. I would be surprised if the starters have more than 20 minutes tonight.

14. magnifier661

MM is back and mediocre as ever!!!!!!!! Welcome back bro!

15. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

BOULDER, CO – Prior to the start of Tuesday night’s game between the Trail Blazers and Nuggets in Boulder, head coach Terry Stotts stated his overarching goal for the night: getting his starters the number of minutes they’re likely to play in a regular season game.

“None of them have played more than half a game yet,” said Stotts. “Especially at altitude, it will be a challenge for them to play through some of that (fatigue). But that would probably be the main priority tonight.”

http://forwardcenter.net/blazers-starters-get-minutes-buckets-in-win-versus-nuggets/

16. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

There is nothing wrong with starting a thread like this. You should maybe just read some of the coverage first so you know why the starters played the minutes they did.

17. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I have paid no attention at all to who has played how many minutes in pre-season. Hopefully, as has been said, it was 'just one game' and Stotts just wanted to give them some run. Maybe they asked for it?

The point I took away from the OP though I think is valid, and mediocre man and myself are not the only ones here who have expressed concern about it. That is: our starters in general, Lillard, Batum, and maybe Aldridge, in particular, played way too many minutes last season. Stotts needs to use his bench, win or lose, to both make sure our starters are rested and healthy come playoff time, and to get our backups ready for the playoffs this year.

Think Popovich.

:cheers:

18. magnifier661

And it's weird that he said a generalized attack, when it really was one poster jumping on his overreaction.

19. julius

singer songwriter
    Dude, it was a pre-season game. Yes, we all want their minutes down in the regular season, but this was 1 game in the pre-season when they played normal minutes.

I was wrong, you arent the victim, you're the martyr. You should just change your name to martyr man.

20. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    I had the same complaint. I hope he rests them for the next game - that would make sense, especially as all our preseason games seem to be clustered together.

(I notice that Pop did this with his old guys - Duncan and Parker played high 30s in the early preseason game and are sitting entirely out of most of the remainder.)