Forensic Fan, Denver 10/21

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BrianFromWA, Oct 22, 2014.

1. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

This edition of "Forensic Fan" is a bit of a cheat since it's both a day late and because I listened to most of the first half. But since it's preseason for writers, too...
    [​IMG]

I was excited for this game because it's late enough in the preseason that I figured that our normal rotation would get some time, and to see what combo of bench players would be a) playing with the starters (i.e., Kaman in for Lopez to play with LMA and the starters or if CJ plays with Lillard) or b) which bench guys would be trusted to play with themselves (i.e., will they let Barton play extended minutes with Blake or CJ at the 1 and Dorell at the 3?). I feel a bit cheated because Blanky didn't play, but it seems as if we saw who Stotts trust and who he doesn't already.

Subs: Kaman and CJ came in for Lopez and Lillard at the 6-minute point of the first and third quarter, which I think could be the model going forward---assuming CJ beats out Blake for the backup PG spot. If not, Blake's the 6-minute guy and CJ's fighting for time. I don't foresee Will taking this spot, as having LMA/Kaman/Nic/Wes on the floor just needs a setup guy to help the offense, not a creator off the drive no-conscience guy like Wild Will.
    [​IMG]
    It looks like, even in a game with some decent garbage time, Truck, Leonard, Crabbe and Claver only got off the pine for 3 minutes. Seems that it'll be Blake/Kaman at the 6 minute point for Dame/Lopez, Wright and Lillard at the 3 minute mark--giving Dame some time at the 2 with Blake, and Freeland and Barton/CJ filling in assorted minutes based on matchups, injuries and/or fouls.
    The first thing that caught my eye on the box score was (duh) the Nuggets being held to 73 points. While it could very well be that Denver isn't a good team (they aren't) and they were without their projected leading scorer (they were), holding anyone to 73 points is a big win for the team. 12-38 (31%) in the paint could be them missing bunnies, or it could be that Lopez, LMA and Kaman really limited DEN's looks in the paint to low-percentage ones. Maybe a fluke against a bad team, but worth watching.

Another "per usual" is the quick check of points per shot. Usually you'd like to see your guys around 1.25 pps in efficiency. For the big guns yesterday, LMA scored 20 on 20 shots (1.00), Dame 18 pts on 13 shots (1.38), and Wes 17 pts on 13 shots (1.30).

93 points for the offense isn't great, so I looked at starters v. bench again. Starters were 22/55 (40%) with 68 pts, 44 reb and 15 ast (to 11 TOs) in 168 minutes (or 33min/starter). Bench in 92 minutes scored 25/13/6 on 9/21 (43%) shooting and 9 TOs. I think we'd rather get some more production from the bench, but it WAS a blowout, so maybe they'll show something later. Though this link (http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/14/7/pts/1-1) shows that while 25 points from the bench is an increase on last year, it's still 28th in the league...gotta get more efficient on the second unit.

Normally I'd talk about shot charts as well, but, well, it's preseason. Blah Blah LMA jumpshots, blah blah Dame 3's and drives, blah blah corner 3's better than long J's...I won't bore you with that now. Though fun fact--- Kaman's jumpshot percentages (over his career) from 16-23 are actually higher than LMAs, in about 1/8th the amount of jumpers.

Can't wait for Wednesday. Lemme know what you think, or if you want other stuff in there. I can't blow my wad on meme's and gif's prior to Opening Night.

2. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Awesome stuff. I loved these posts last season!

3. HomerLovesKoolAid

HomerLovesKoolAid I have a well-known member.

Great stuff B to the Wa, I hope you keep doing it.