J.R. Smith: Team-first notion is tough

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by truebluefan, Oct 23, 2014.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The adjustment to the triangle offense has been "a struggle" for J.R. Smith, and it isn't just because the system is foreign to him.

A candid Smith admitted that he must alter his shooter mentality and wrap his mind around the team-first concept being preached by Knicks coach Derek Fisher and president Phil Jackson. And it hasn't been the smoothest transition for the former Sixth Man of the Year, who has been trying not to force shots.

"Yeah, absolutely," Smith said when asked if he has had to make a conscious effort to play differently. "I mean, believe it or not, being the type of player I've been, it's a struggle. I'm not going to lie.

"Trying to think about the rest of the team over myself or my scoring is something that I never really had to do before," Smith continued. "I've always been in a situation to score, [now I'm] in position to take my time and let the game come and let my teammates succeed more than myself, I think that's the ultimate win."

Read more http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...-knicks-says-triangle-offense-tough-adjust-to