Why Blazer's Edge is Turning Down Media Credentials

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Oct 27, 2014.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

As you might have read in today's Oregonian piece about Blazer's Edge, the Portland Trail Blazers have decided to change their media access policy this season. Given the parameters and consequences of their new policy, we do not feel that we can participate in their media credentialing process with a clear conscience. Therefore Blazer's Edge is turning down their offer of a credential and pursuing other avenues of coverage...

http://www.blazersedge.com/2014/10/27/7068913/why-blazers-edge-is-turning-down-media-credentials

2. SlyPokerDog

It's an interesting article if some of you aren't clicking on the link and reading it.

3. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

SHE THINKS SHE IS SO HOT, I JUST ASKED HER TO PROM AS A JOKE GUYS, HAHAHA

4. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Sounds like there's an opening if you want to prove yourself. :dunno:

5. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

Yikes. Is it just me or is Deckard incredibly boring to read?.

6. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Fuck it, fight it, it's all the same.

7. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

That's not how I take it at all. I think Dave is spot on. The team is creating a class system for the media. It's a class system that has actually existed for a while, but they're actually basing media access on this system. Fan sites or blogs have always been second class, but now the Blazers are actually penalizing sites for it.

Sports journalism without locker room or practice access is just amateur musings from someone who is seeing something that everyone else sees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. BrianFromWA

I kinda thought it was fun to see that he has over 5000 posts in 8 years. And I'm interested in his
    I mean, maybe, but we can see about that.

9. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    We've written well over a million posts about the team. I'm confident we can develop really good material on a regular basis.

10. BrianFromWA

Practice access, maybe, but they can't write about it much anyway. "Man, I saw they were putting Meyers into the LMA role and planning on playing him with Kaman in some sets" would get you banished. ahemquickblinds

Locker room access? the quotes will come out anyway, and everyone will have a different take.

As for quality, I submit that Jaynes with his access and sources still couldn't write or speak effectively about the CBA. Some of the reporters, with their sources, were still messaging me about where we got our conclusions.

And frankly, there's way more of us, with way different takes, than can be harnessed at the O or SportsNation or whatever.

11. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Completely untrue Brian. Locker room and practice access is essential. It's how you develop a relationship with the players and generate original content. The players give good inside information on the team. Dale Davis was one of my favorite guys to talk to. He always had great thoughts.

You are completely wrong about the post game quotes. A good writer gets his own interviews and his own content. Not the generic crap that everyone else has.

Practice is when you get a chance to really talk to the coaches and players. Without that access........ Well, I just don't see the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

My thinking is they are looking for and getting better relationships elsewhere. Blazers edge is a great site. I read it all the time. Dave is a great guy and a capable writer. But there is room for more and why not bring in more when you want to.
    The Blazers seem to be leaving their options open for who they want to bring in when they want to.

13. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Comcast won't offer that fat paycheck if the Blazers don't remove some of the competition. Mafia tactics.

14. BrianFromWA

Haven't we seen guys get absolutely burned by "inside information"? The closest thing I remember to a successful one was Quick's Behind the Locker Room door, and he got banished.
    Could be, but how does one get "special" access to his own content? Aren't you standing right next to Freeman, Quick, etc. as interviews are being given? Doesn't everyone get to hear the questions you ask and the answers you get? Or do you have a separate time you can talk? Why do I see almost every relevant quote posted within 15 minutes of shower time? I'm not challenging, I just don't get it. Talking Ball didn't have "original content"...they talked about quotes that someone showed on the screen. They didn't have a postgame reporter. And when they did (like Rebecca Haarlow) it was put on TV almost immediately.

Why would the team give access to interfere with players' time if they haven't shown it's worth it? I mean, the O has cachet that we or BE or whatever doesn't--whether they deserve it or not. Does Willamette Week get the access that BE just gave up? I guess I just take it to mean that anyone who wants "access" has to earn it. :dunno: If you're telling me it can't be done without "access" already, and we're chicken-and-egg, then I guess I'm still too naïve.

15. kjironman1

Are you sure they have a choice? They are under contract. One other thing also. I don't expect the Blazers to enter into the same kind of contract again with Comcast. At least i hope they don't?

16. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

But where do you start or set a limit on it? If I start my own blog, that really nobody is reading, can I get locker room and practice access? I think having a "class system" so to speak, for the media is probably a good thing for the most part.

17. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Exactly! Because those types could leak things that shouldn't be leaked, or next thing you know every tom dîck and Harry starts some "online" news type to get access

18. SlyPokerDog

We're battling just to get any sort of press access and BE is upset over getting the same status that we want.

I know from last year it's not just the locker room we don't get access to. We also don't get to have any beer from the press only keg that is wheeled out when the game is over. Probably a smart move on the Blazer's part.

19. kjironman1

Got to agree for the most part. One of the things that the Blazers offered BE was access on a case by case basis. It also said they would have to prove themselves again after losing Ben. That seems a little tight but maybe they are just protecting themselves from a problem.

20. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

being part of sb nation, you would think that would set them apart from the drexlerfandatadelvers.nets of the world, but whatevz, i hope they die forever