JOE MADDON AND THE CUBS

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by Messiah717, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

2. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...we both thought this might happen.

3. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yup, they were the first team that came to my mind when I heard he was leaving Tampa. It's good because the Rays will go back to being a complete joke now.

4. yankeesince59

...yeah, and the Cubs will be a team to be reckoned with very soon.

5. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

Maddon seems to have a way with young teams, I think this will be a good fit.

6. Hammerojustice

Hammerojustice Chief Caveman, Keeper of Thor's Hammer

7. yankeesince59

...I think already have, hammer. I mean the Rays have recently lost a key player, as well as a very sharp GM and Coach...while the Cubs have one of the best farms in Baseball, they now also have one of the sharpest GMs and Coaches in Baseball...plus they have a new TV deal on the horizon.

...I think the Cubs will be in the WS within 5 years.

8. Hammerojustice

I definitely think it's an improvement over the Rays for sure, but I don't know if I'd say in the WS in 5 years...

9. yankeesince59

...I actually think they'll be over .500 next year and be in the hunt for a PS berth.

10. Rick2583

Maddon is a great motivator for younger players Ron but unless they do something drastic during the off season I just don't think they have the players yet to compete.

11. Hammerojustice

Being over .500 and in the WS are two TOTALLY different things... getting to .500 might happen, but in the playoff hunt???

12. yankeesince59

...hammer, I said I think they'd be "in the hunt" ...didn't say they'd actually make it, though it's possible. And I said I thought they might be in the WS within 5 years not NEXT year.

...and rick, the changes don't have to be drastic...they already have some young players who are paying dividends already and more on the way...they had 2 position players (Rizzo and Castro) on the All Star roster this year...and they got 2 very good players from the A's and Braves through trades...plus like I said, with a new TV deal coming it will give them more revenue to pursue more FAs.

...their record has improved each year since 2012 and I see no reason for the trend to stop.

13. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.

With Maddon and Epstein, grooming farm talent, with perhaps a FA here or there only. Build a team from the ground up.....not a problem.

I can foresee such a Team to be in the Series in 5 years, just like I've been stating over and over, look out for the Astro's in 2017. The Stro's multiple years of having the #1 Draft Pick, will soon show, once those rookies make it to the Big Lgs. and refine their talents.

No way, IMO, is Nolan and his Son going to let this opportunity pass them by. The Rangers success IMO was more Ryan's and not Daniels. Moreso, the Rangers success laid 1st and foremost with the Players they had drafted.
    Having Ron Washington helped their cause as much IMO as any other Mgr. could of done....With only 67 wins I bet some would say Ron was the problem in TX. Not the fact he had more players on the DL than any other team. More than I can recall in the history of MLB. So who's gonna' blame Texas woes by not winning 1 of 3 consecutive Years in the W.S. No doubt some homers will do as much.

From all I've heard, read, on Ron Washington, he was a players Mgr. of whom no player ever had less than kind words for.

14. yankeesince59

...^^^ I would not be surprised to see at least one of Lester, Scherzer, Shields, in a Cubs uni next year...Russell Martin too.

15. Mattingly23NY

Such acquisition noted, are well within reach. I'd like to see some if not all of the guys noted above, in Cubs Uniforms.

I'd love to see our Yanx win #28-40, yet somewhere within that stretch, I'd love nothing more than to see The Cubs in A Series, as bad as I want our Yanx to win a dozen more Rings.

Chicago would spontaneously Combust if or when the Cubs do win a world series. I think the Fans would combust just for being in a Series, regardless of whether they won or lost. Even a loss in Series History can spell, faith in the future of the Team, ie "There's always next year."

The Team is in good hands, and I wish Joe the Best...

Those April Home games in Wrigley are as brutal as some Bears games in old Soldier Field. I've never seen any MLB player dress out with full face wool masks, and thick turtle necks. Some of this years April games, looked as horrid as can be, all players looked like they were freezing their asses off, then they have that brick wall to pad their collisions, on top of the extreme freeze :lol:

16. yankeesince59

...I also think that if anyone is going to give Scherzer the type deal he's hoping for, it might just be the Yanx.

17. Mattingly23NY

Yeah, I can see that, Max going for the biggest bucks he can get. Yet, hopefully the Cubs can sign Lester, or a couple other aces. I heard they were looking at Cole Hammels too.

Plus the Cubs are somewhat limited on funds, and won't probably be able to sign to many FA's. Imagine what Epstein and Maddon could do With The Bums-Guggenheim money. Lordy.....that thought could go along way...!

18. Rick2583

I'm actually worried that you might be right. I mean they offered 7 years to Cano & gave 7 years to Ellsbury so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Yankees offer 7-8 years to Scherzer at somewhere between $150-175M & honestly I'd rather not see the Yankees continue to bury themselves with these over blown contracts. Nor do I think we need to. JMO.

19. yankeesince59

...from what I read, the Cubs will actually have plenty of money to spend and could be major players in the FA market.

20. Rick2583

They really need to do something to show those poor patient fans that they're serious about putting a good product on the field.