The Death with Dignity Chick chickened out. Not killing herself on Saturday.

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by EL PRESIDENTE, Oct 30, 2014.

1. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

She apparently feels to good to stick to her original plan of suiciding the day after her Husband's birthday. Will kill herself only when she starts feeling sick. :confused:

2. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Neat. who cares.

3. Da Bears Oregon

Da Bears Oregon GO BEARS !!

I feel for her and her family. I wish she has as many "good" days as possible. Saddened to hear she wants to take her life.

4. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

I care, this woman is facing a very grim death because of a brain tumor. I'm sure she is savoring every day....what a terrible situation to be in, to have to chose between suicide and a painful death.

5. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

Yeah, it's terrible as the brain tumor changes everything in a person's life. :sigh:

6. EL PRESIDENTE

She should go on more vacations. See the world!

7. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    She should just buck up, and if not be sentenced to death.

8. EL PRESIDENTE

That was the point of the deadline. She arbitrarily set the date of death as the day after her Husband's birthday. When you stare at death in the eyes and its voluntary, you probably want to squeeze more out of life. She likely got freaked out with the idea of actually dying healthy. Will probably kill herself when she starts feeling sick.

She probably got a bunch of money from people donating, she should probably use it and ball it up.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  9. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    An acquaintance of mine had brain cancer.

Ultimately the pain was unbearable and he killed himself.

I'm betting if you had brain cancer, you'd see things differently.

10. EL PRESIDENTE

See what differently? I don't disagree with the law.

11. EL PRESIDENTE

Does it extend to people with depression? I think it should. Their pain is similarly unbearable and in many cases, not treatable.

12. EL PRESIDENTE

Also, one thing I think this shows is that its easy to talk about one dying with a plan, on schedule and on their terms. However, I think its unnatural to do so. The default train of thought is to live and enjoy life as long as possible.

Suicide and "death with dignity" can only come when one is at the end of one's rope. It isn't rational, it can only be done to relieve extreme pain and suffering. One has to be desparate to end one's own life.

13. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    She probably shouldn't have set a specific date. It's easy to understand why she doesn't want to do it now.

14. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

Ugh, terrible. Cancer fucking sucks. I feel very bad for her and the family, what a shitty thing to have to decide and so young.

15. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

I think the aspect that a lot of people overlook with Oregon's death with dignity law is that it gives the person suffering control. When you are diagnosed with something of this nature you are very upset, fearful and vulnerable. Often this sense of control gives people the strength to push on for a little longer, much like god might give others the strength to do so. The death with dignity law gives people a chance to end their suffering when their suffering is too great, since she is still enjoying life she is using the law appropriately.

Also talkng about doing it and doing it are different. Its that its easy to say Ill do it next month, because next month sounds like you have enough time to do some stuff. As that time approaches though and you start thinking "this is my last week" and "this is my last Sunday" and so on, its got to get really tough. If it was me I would say give me the pills and Ill get around to it when the time feels right, or not. Setting a timer like that would fuck with my head.

Further likes this.
  16. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

it's the law, so I'm not saying to reverse it or whatever--but philosophically...

Isn't it kind of putting an option on the table that looks good to those who only don't think they have options because a doctor told them so? I mean, I get that they mean well, and I get that doctors aren't omniscient, but I can think of very few things that would put you in a worse mental state than "you have X months/weeks to live". In that scenario, and if your significant other wasn't around, I think anyone could understand a decision made under despair. But how many times is it not the right one?

Again, if the law says she can commit suicide whenever she wants, ok. Personally, I'd like to try to help people live out their lives. Now, if she had concluded before the tumor something like "if I ever get cancer/tumor after 65, I'm not spending a dime on fighting it and instead spending every dime in my bank account on vacations, then taking a pill", that's a decision that she's reasoned out. After finding out that you may/may not have X months to live? That's not the best mental state.

17. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    She should become a daredevil!

donkiez likes this.
  18. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

Philosophically speaking there is some credence to this argument, but that option is already on the table. A gun or a bottle of Vicodin's and booze can achieve the same effect but would be a little messier. The spirit and intent for this law is not for doctors to push this option, but give them the legal backing to write a prescription this should it be requested. This is the persons choices and only the person can take this step. This is very important aspect of the law, because it gives the person control and relieves the doctor or caretaker of liability. Who can say when the right time for someone is? I would think there is a lot of despair in this type of diagnosis but I would view the right to end your suffering as a reason to be less desperate or depressed. If you know you can end it today if things get to bad, all of a sudden things might not seem that bad today and you might be able to push through the pain one more day. If that right is taken from you, you are more likely to obsess over this and do something hasty without weighing your options. Also I would add that most of these decisions are not made out of depression, they are made out of quality of life. Its easy to say I want to live when you are healthy and vibrant, but if you've ever spent time with someone on their death bed, barely conscious, pumped full of morphine, then you know its a pretty bad way to go. This is for the people with no medical hope only.

19. EL PRESIDENTE

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  20. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    She might have felt really good when she said she may not kill herself Saturday but then the disease started to act up and cause her to change her mind.