It's early, but...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by transplant, Nov 2, 2014.

1. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

...Bulls opponents are averaging 14.6 more shot attempts per game (91.3 to 76.7) than the Bulls. That's a lot. I can see two main reasons:

- Bulls opponents are averaging 15.7 offensive rebounds per game. Only the Golden State Warriors give up more (16.0 per game).

- The Bulls are 8th-worst in the league in turnover rate at 16.2%.

Obviously, the former is giving opponents more shots and the latter is reducing the number of shot attempts the Bulls get....bad combination.

On the rebounding end, Gasol may need to trade some of his blocking shots (he's 4th in the league) for doing a better job of blocking out. This is one case where the Bulls miss Boozer. Turnovers really look like a team effort.

2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    TO/36:

Brooks 4.4
    Rose 3.8
    Gasol 3.2
    Noah 3.2
    Mirotic 2.3
    Butler 1.8
    Hinrich 1.7
    Snell 1.5
    Dunleavy 1.4

3. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

Good eye.

I think it's clear that defensive rebounding and turnovers have been the big problem so far, and the numbers bear that out. We've been surprisingly effective on offense.

We're ranked 4th in the league in opponent FG% at 0.401%, so it's not our ability to get stops that's the problem. Turnovers and offensive rebounds are the problem.

The good news is that our personnel is well equipped to deal with the issue. I predict the Bulls will return to trend as the season goes on.

If I had to choose between good offense/shaky rebounding + turnovers or the reverse, I'd take the latter 10 times out of 10 given this team's history.