Derrick Rose eyes Tuesday return

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by truebluefan, Nov 3, 2014.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Bulls point guard Derrick Rose participated in Monday's practice and coach Tom Thibodeau is hopeful his star point guard will be able to play Tuesday night against the Orlando Magic after missing Saturday's game against the Minnesota Timberwolves because of two sprained ankles.

"We'll see [Tuesday]," Thibodeau said. "He's better today than he was [Sunday]."

Rose sprained both his ankles in Friday's game against the Cleveland Cavaliers and did not play on Saturday as a precaution. Rose and the Bulls' front office both want to take a cautious approach as the former league MVP makes his way back from two serious knee injuries. Rose warmed up with his teammates on Saturday and was listed in the first starting lineup, but ultimately decided not to play.

"We're going by where he is, how he's feeling," Thibodeau said. "When you think back with Team USA he did five games in six days and he didn't have any problems. He did nine [games] in 16 [days]. If he's feeling good, great. And if he needs time, then we're going to give him time. It's really that simple."

Read more http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/stor...rick-rose-play-tuesday-minnesota-timberwolves

2. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

I have no idea if there's backroom consternation over his time away, but I like the cautious approach.

The team has no choice but to heap lots of offensive responsibility on Derrick, and I think it's becoming clear that his style of play makes him more vulnerable to injury than other players. You got the impression his first injury was partly caused by lots of little injuries leading up to it, so I'm glad they're letting him fully heal his little aches and pains.

3. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I am with you on this. The team is deep. Finally. Thibs does not have to have Rose every game at 40 plus minutes! Same being said about Noah.

Save them for the playoffs.

Add to the fact that we have a string of games coming up this week against lower teams! If he needs to set another game or two, fine.

4. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    #TheReturnTake8

5. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Is all really that well in Rose/Thibs relationship?

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bulls/post/_/id/20637/derrick-roses-decision-to-sit-was-correct

The interesting part of Saturday's decision to sit Rose is that after warming up on the floor, the former MVP said he never spoke to Thibodeau about his status, instead relaying his message to Bulls trainer Jeff Tanaka and director of sports performance Jen Swanson.

"We didn't even talk about it," Rose said of Thibodeau. "He didn't ask me about it to tell you the truth. I told T-Nak, T-Nak and Jen talked to him for a little bit, but as far as me and him talking about it, we didn't talk about it yet."

Is that a red flag in the relationship between star player and coach? No. But it does speak to the fact of how many people are involved in the decision-making process regarding Rose's status. Rose isn't just any other player. He's the man charged with carrying the Bulls to the promised land, despite the fact he came into this season having played just 10 games last season.

Bulls general manager Gar Forman acknowledged before Friday's game that there might be times during the season when the organization would decide to sit Rose on certain nights if he wasn't feeling right. Saturday's game was the first example of that philosophy in action.

6. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

At one time long ago, Rose and Thibodeau were partners. They're now player and coach. If Thibodeau needs Rose, but Jen Swanson thinks Rose needs a rest, Thinodeau can pound sand.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

7. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Seems like Rose isn't really talking to Thibs.

Talking to him through a 3rd party.

Is that lost on you?