"Net Neutrality" is Obamacare for the Internet

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Nov 10, 2014.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

[TWEET]531834493922189313[/TWEET]

:MARIS61:

2. SlyPokerDog

3. SlyPokerDog

4. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    AT&T to pause fiber spending on net neutrality uncertainty

http://fortune.com/2014/11/12/att-to-pause-fiber-spending-on-net-neutrality-uncertainty/

(Reuters) – AT&T Inc on Wednesday raised pressure on the U.S. telecommunications regulator’s work on new “net neutrality” rules, saying it would stop investing in high-speed Internet connections in 100 cities until the Web rules were settled.

The statement from AT&T Chief Executive Officer Randall Stephenson is the first move by an Internet service provider in response to President Barack Obama’s unexpected call on the Federal Communications Commission on Monday to regulate these companies more like public utilities.

AT&T has been spending heavily on acquisitions and the statement came only days after it cut its capital spending estimate for 2015.

The industry and Republican lawmakers have protested Obama’s proposal, saying stricter Internet traffic regulations would stifle growth and investment.

“We can’t go out and invest that kind of money deploying fiber to 100 cities not knowing under what rules those investments will be governed,” Stephenson said at an analyst conference.

5. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Re: AT&T to pause fiber spending on net neutrality uncertainty

He's causing real damage, folks.

Obama.

Maybe you'd be able to get Blazers games on AT&T fiber, along with 500mbit internet speed.

6. Cryptkeeper

Cryptkeeper Forum Bourgeoisie Staff Member Global Moderator

S2 Hurrdurrator
    Re: AT&T to pause fiber spending on net neutrality uncertainty

I generally don't mind Obama's actions, but this really crosses a line for me for some reason...

7. SlyPokerDog

8. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

It's frustrating that the Republicans are too old to fully understand what net neutrality is, or why it's important. They just take the fatty paycheck from Comcast and AT&T and start spewing drivel.

9. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    What's frustrating is that people have no clue how the internet operates from an interconnectivity standpoint and think net neutrality is required. Competition is required.

Especially Obama. He has a supposedly elite group of people at the FCC who know a lot better what they're doing than Obama.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/7/7173511/colorado-towns-vote-for-right-to-build-broadband-internet

"The facts speak for themselves: competition works – when it is allowed to," wrote chairman Tom Wheeler back in June. "Throughout the country where we have seen competitive broadband providers come in to a market, prices have gone down and broadband speeds have gone up. No wonder incumbent broadband providers want to legislate rather than innovate."

AT&T stops running fiber in 100 cities. Obama has singlehandedly stopped competition.

10. Natebishop3

So wait... you're in favor of allowing companies like Comcast to extort money out of companies like Netflix?

11. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    That's how the internet has always worked. And for the best interests of everyone. The deal between Comcast and Netflix gave Netflix direct access to Comcast's network via a direct connection. In the process, Netflix' service quality went way up. I pay for my connection to the Internet, why shouldn't Netflix?

12. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

Competition with whom?

13. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    AT&T was running fiber to the home in 100 cities. AT&T competing with Time Warner, Comcast, Verizon, or whoever else is in the area.

I just found out last week that Time Warner is going to upgrade my internet connection from 50mbits/sec to 300mbits/sec at no extra charge (monthly or setup).

14. donkiez

ahhh so this is more about how it directly effects your internet. Damn you Obama now you stole my internet! :)

15. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Like I said, if AT&T runs fiber in Portland, you may get to get Blazers games. Depends on if AT&T is willing to pay Comcast for the rights. Or if people want to switch to stick a thumb in Comcast's eye, they have a choice.

It's not about my Internet, as I'm getting 300mbits next year no matter what AT&T does.

16. Natebishop3

Things work just fine all over the rest of the world with the old way of doing things. South Korea recently installed a 10g line. Why is it that American ISP's have been so stifled by net neutrality, but other countries have not?

How about, because Comcast and TW and AT&T haven't wanted to pay the money to upgrade their shitty lines? This sounds like a total copout by AT&T. I would like to see proof that they were actually going to do it.

17. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    AT&T reported to the shareholders their plan to spend the money.

They're buying DirecTV so they will have hundreds of channels to offer via super high quality streaming over their fiber network.

I've had AT&T salespeople knock on my door 3 times in the past 2 months saying they have recently run fiber to the street nearby. I told them when they're ready to pull the fiber 100 more feet to my house, let me know.

Proof? Geez.

They have paid the money to upgrade their lines all along. My internet service has grown in speed from 28.8K modem to 50mbits/sec (and soon 300) for a price that's been solidly between $30 and $60 per month for the past 15+ years.

How things have worked is exactly how they should work. It's not a matter of the scheme being outdated or anything. It's driven the building out of the Internet where the traffic demands it. Perfectly.

18. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

Odd, seeing as how Obama put in a former cable lobbyist and campaign bundler as head of the FCC.

The fox news types are certainly hard to please

19. donkiez

Some areas have it better than others but for the most part these companies are monopolies. There is no free market or competition in most of the country. At&t is just trying gain leverage by canceling their upgrades. They will be back on soon, one way or another.

20. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    The issue for competition is the localities pass laws limiting the ability of additional providers to come in and compete. There's where the energy should be focused.