Some fun stats

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by Denny Crane, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Tony Snell is second on the Bulls in 3pt shooting at .429 1 attempts per game. Maybe he needs to shoot more? Aaron Brooks is first with a remarkable .577.

The Bulls have 5 players with PER over 20, led by Aaron Brooks with a superstar-like 23.2. The others? Rose 22.5, Gasol 21.4, Jimmy 20.9, Taj 20.0.

Three players with more than 4 total minutes played this season have PER under 10: Mitotic, Snell, and Hinrich.

DRose is 7th on the team in minutes played per game at 27.5. Kirk is 6th at 27.8. Jimmy isn't playing anywhere near enough. He's playing 39.5. Old man Pau is playing 34.9.

Mike Dunleavy is starting for lack of anyone else better, but he's holding his own. shooting .446 and .405 from 3pt and over 10 PPG.

Derrick Rose is 3rd on the team in scoring at 17.5 PPG. Jimmy at 19.5 leads the team and Gasol is 2nd at 18.4. In all, the Bulls have 6 players averaging double figures.

Rookie 3pt shooting sensation McDermott is shooting .516 from the field, but a poor .313 from 3pt.

Aaron Brooks is 2nd on the team in points per 36 minutes at 22.0, behind Rose's 22.9. He averages 7.6 Assists per 36 to Rose's 7.5.

Kirk is 10th on the team in FG%, 8th in 3pt%, 7th in scoring, 6th in assists, 10th in PER, 7th in DWS, 11th in ORtg, 7th in DRtg. He's started 6 games.

2. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

To reply:

Snell's problem is his feel for the game and inconsistency, not the schemes used to feature him. I also think his shooting is high because teams don't bother to defend him because he's so passive. He still has a deer in the headlights look.

I expect Brooks' PER to take a nosedive. His career best to this point is 16, which happened 5 years ago. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the other 4's stayed up there, but I'm not betting on all of them being 20+ at the end of the season. I think a PER in the range of 16-19 are reasonably optimistic goals for Taj, Jimmy and Aaron. I expect Noah's will get to this level too by seasons end. I think if we can get 20+ PER seasons from 3 rotation guys it'll be a huge win for the team.

I expect Mirotic's PER to go above 10 and eventually be in the 13-16 range. Wouldn't be surprised to see Snell and Hinrich hover right around 10 for the season.

I"m not too too worried about minutes right now. Jimmy can handle minutes. Pau at 35 is probably a little higher than where you'd ideally want him, but it's not catastrophic. Everyone else is right around 30 or below. Kirks minutes are due to Derrick's injury. Last game when Derrick was back he played 17, which I anticipate will be closer to his normal when everyone's healthy.

Dunleavy's quietly having a very good season. He's an underrated shooter and solid if unspectacular defender. He's put in good work against some of the league's best so far. Head and shoulders above McDermott at this point in time.

I think if Derrick finishes the season at 18ppg and is third in the team in scoring it'll be a very good thing for the Bulls. We can win a championship if that happens.

My eyeball test lets me know that Doug's doing alright. He looks like he's had to struggle with nerves in some of the games but his shot looks fine and he can get it off at the NBA level. A decent amount of his misses are shots that I think he'll regularly make once he gets settled. He's a better defender than I anticipated. He gets lost from time to time but has had one of the best motors on the team so far and doesn't look physically overmatched. He moves well without the ball, but he hasn't quite figured out how to best make himself useful to the team. The fit isn't there yet.

My biggest concern is he doesn't have a knack for getting separation from his defender which is big for a shooter. That's a big hurdle to overcome and it might be years before he truly gets good at it. JJ Redick didn't really figure this out until his 4th year in the league.

Won't be surprised if Aaron Brooks' points-per-36 remains high. He's the hired gun for the second unit and he'll probably have to keep shooting for it to stay afloat.

There's nothing to be said about Kirk that hasn't been said many times before so I won't even try.