Columbian OF prospect

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by Hammerojustice, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Hammerojustice

Hammerojustice Chief Caveman, Keeper of Thor's Hammer

2. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

I do not have any trust in the Yankee scouting
    system.

3. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...I think that in some ways the Yanx have gotten a bad rap as far as their farm system goes...sure it could be better, but it could also be worse. The last time I looked they were ranked about in the middle of MLB farms systems/prospects, etc.

...also keep in mind that the Yanx have traded many of their prospects away, some good, some not so good...also consider that since the Yanx have generally had one of the better records most every year for many years, they are usually picking 28th or 30th or something like that nearly every year. So they miss out on drafting some of the "cant miss" kids.
    ...and sometimes it's just good or bad freaking luck...a good example is in 2011 when the Yanx had their eyes on a kid name Mike Trout. But the Angels took him with the 25th pick, in front of the Yanx at 29th.

...here's a pretty good read on that draft;

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...er-hooked-mike-trout-angels-article-1.1115065

4. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    This makes me think on the opposite side of this draft, ie, The Yanx gave Jesus Montero 1 Million $$$ at the age of 16, to sign. Montero as ya'll know, was playing in his teens in Venezuela. Scouts said he was a can't miss, and the rest is history.

Montero's best years were in Venezuela, had a fair year playing but a handful of games, more as a DH, than Catcher. What the Yanx saw in Montero to begin with, and moreso what did the Yanx see in Montero, to trade him for Pineda, (at least the Yanx made out, or so it seems on that trade, and Montero has gone straight to hell, without stopping at Weight Watchers along the way).....

14 games in Pinstripes as a DH, 4 as a Catcher. 61 At Bats, a .328 B'avg, .446 OBP, and a .996 not bad, but only 18 games, not much of a sample size. Yet someone saw a LAZY WORK ETHIC....

5. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...yeah, sometimes "can't miss" guys simply don't transcend to the majors, for whatever reason, whether it's injuries, or they can't lay off a breaking ball or whatever.
    ...on the other side of the coin you have very late round draftees like Pujols, Mattingly, Smoltz, Pettitte, Sandberg, Buhrlie, and Piazza for example, and many others who were way down on teams' radars...but they did OK, I suppose.

...the draft is by no means an exact science..........you just never know.

6. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.

Good point(s).....

Ya' never really know what your going to get, once the cleats hit the Sacred Big Lg. Diamonds.

I like how you mentioned late rounders, who no one really expected much out of, yet these ones you mention left their indelible mark on the game; some are already in the HOF, some will make the HOF, and others had good careers, yet fall short of the HOF. While giving more than ever expected, in their playing years.

like ya' said, 'draft in not an exact science'....!!!