...Stanton's deal...

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by yankeesince59, Nov 20, 2014.

1. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...not a big fan of Olberman's but he makes some very valid points here.;

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11905040&categoryid=2378529

...The fact that Stanton's contract includes an opt out after 6 years is looking better and better and I would not be surprised to see that con man of an owner Jeffrey Loria once again blowing up the team in a few years and essentially making things so miserable for Stanton in Miami that he does in fact tale the opt out.

2. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    Good Olberman piece 59. An eye opener for some, a reminder for others. How much longer before the fire sale. Probably after they tie up Fernandez, (seems like they already tied up Jose-I'm flying blind). Illitch a Yankee?....and a few others as well......... Bring Illitch on....!

I got my armored helmet on.....body armor too, now anyone can hit me over the head, and it won't hurt, hell I won't even feel it. I do feel a scam AGAIN, from Marlin's ownership...

3. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

With the contract being back heavy there's no way Stanton is going to opt out after year 6.

4. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...If Loria breaks up the team again like he has before, Stanton probably will opt out...either that or he was lying when he swore "it wasn't about the money" which is why he claimed the contract was constructed the way it was.

...the way salaries and contracts are escalating and TV deals do the same, by 2021 $30 Mil per year deals will be more commonplace (Miggy's AAV is nearly $30 Mil already)...unless Stanton starts declining badly when he's 30 (and I doubt he will)...he can go play for a contender and still make a ton of money and possibly just as much as he would have with Miami.

5. totus44

totus44 Lord of the Dark Side

Exactly. There will be more than a handful of guys making $30M+ in 2021 the way things are going. Makes you wonder why a guy retires before they drag his ass and the guaranteed contract off the field.

6. Yankeefan5545

Yankeefan5545 Well-Known Member

Retired
    If one watched the press conference it seemed that there was some buck passing and evasive shifts in the responses. I too am not an Olbermam fan but there were many "common sense " points made in his presentation.

7. totus44

totus44 Lord of the Dark Side

Wait, I thought quoting Olberman was grounds for a two week suspension?