I would contact Maloney about Yandle

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by Ranger71, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Send them Hagelin, J.Moore, Miller and McIlrath, even throw in a 2nd rounder if needed. Then just use Duclair F/T the rest of the season and let him learn that way. Next year if Staal walks you still have an upper echelon corps. They still need another forward as well.

2. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

You're smoking weed again 71. Yandle makes a lot of money. That would give us 4 right handed defenseman. Hagelin is also one of teams better playoff guys. No would be the answer to that. The team doesn't need another defenseman. What it needs is a 3rd line center. I also wouldn't give up more. He was solid in the finals, he's young and cheap.

However, if you wanted to swing for the fences and trade a Hagelin for an expensive player. You would be better off taking a run at O'Reilly and putting Duclair with him.

It will probably cost you the following

O'Reilly

for

Hagelin
    Miller
    Staal
    Glass(Has to be included)

I suspect the Av's would then deal Staal at the deadline for as many picks and NHL ready prospects they could get if he wont' sign an extension.

O'Reilly is having a down year and the Av's suck. A good time to get him. The Rangers can fit him under the cap if they make that deal.

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
    Hayes-Brassard-Zucc
    Duclair-O'Reilly-St. Louis
    Stempniak-Moore-Fast

Honestly, that's a significantly better team up front and provides an incredible development opportunity for Duclair.

Defense you take a hit but they can live with it.

McDonagh-Girardi
    J. Moore-Klein
    Allen-Boyle

Next year it gets even better with this deal.

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
    Buchnevich-Brassard-Zucc
    Duclair-O'Reilly-St. Louis
    Hayes-Moore-Fast

McDonagh-Girardi
    J. Moore-Klein
    Skjei-Boyle

3. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

The way Staal has been playing this year I don't think the Rangers are taking that huge a hit substituting Allen or even McIlrath, both have potential to grow better. It's looking more and more likely that what you see is what you're going to get with Staal. Resigning him isn't practical, if they could trade away Captain Callahan they can trade Staal.

4. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

There was an article about a week ago with sources saying that COL was regretting letting Stasny walk and not trading O'Reilly instead, and they're close to mailing in the season and listening to offers on O'Reilly.

I wanted O'Reilly badly this offseason. However I think that ship sailed the second we gave Brassard 5 million per. I do not see this team tying up 5 mil in Brass, 6 mil in O'Reilly, and most likely 6 mil in Stepan after this season. Thats a ton of money tied up at the C position. If they need to get a 3rd line C, which I'm still not sure is necessary, it will probably have to be someone cheaper.

5. Ranger71

They definately need another C for sure, i was even thinking a guy like Vermette would be an upgrade.

6. chuckd3534

chuckd3534 Well-Known Member

We don't need Yandle, and we don't need to reinvent the wheel here.

The D is fine once McD returns in 2 weeks or so. We'll have 7 solid dmen as Hunwick has proven to be a solid 3rd pair type dman. We'll have a PP guy in Boyle. McD obviously adds O from the backline as well. More defensive guys like Staal, Girardi, and Klein. And two decent 6th dman options in Moore and Hunwick. Our D is fine.

We need a top 9 forward, that's it IMO. Be it a C so we can move Hayes to the wing, or if we can't get a good top 9 C add a good top 9 winger and hope Hayes improves on faceoffs, which I am sure he will.

If we add a top 9 forward that would enable us to have a 4th line that is based around Stemp and Moore, which is solid. Then fill the 3rd spot with Glass, Fast, Miller (hopefully not Glass...but AV loves him so it may be him).

If you give us a solid top 9 forward I really think we'd be in fine shape. Hayes and Hags are good 3rd line guys. Add another solid top 9 forward to that mix and we're good.

I also think in the short term until we hopefully add another top 9 forward, I would bring Miller up as a winger and play him with Hags and Hayes on the 3rd line and see if that line plays well. Miller is better suited as a winger IMO, as stated in the other thread.

Bigger picture, add a top 9 forward (C or W) and I think we'll be fine...I really do. That would make us deep again and give us the balanced scoring we need and thrived on in the playoffs last season.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  7. kreidertime

Looking at Duclair's elite offensive skill set, I have warmed to the idea of getting O'Reilly. Sather usually tends to make moves like this that nobody expects. I absolutely think they can pay three centers that much if they trade Staal and Hagelin in the deal I proposed. Hagelin will want 3 million and Staal probably 6 at the end of this year. Factor in that Skjei will replace Staal next year and the Rangers save about 2 million on the cap. It actually makes sense for the Rangers to invest in 3 centers with that much on the cap. They have the following young wings which have to be developed.

Hayes(He's not a center)
    Duclair
    Buchnevich
    Kreider(still)

I also am pretty high on Walcott in our system. I think he's going to be a part of our defense in a couple years.

8. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

71, I like the way you think. But really, dream on. Sather would
    have to give players and picks that Maloney wants......I do not
    think Sather is about to decimate Hartford.

9. kreidertime

Every year the Rangers don't score enough and every year our fans want to trade for a defenseman. Why, I have no idea.

10. chuckd3534

chuckd3534 Well-Known Member

Add a top 9 forward...done. That's what we need to balance out the team. Enough with adding a dman or talking about all these major trades.

Add a guy like Stewart, Prod has mentioned him I believe, and we'll be fine. That is all we need IMO. We don't need some major changes. Just another solid top 9 forward.

11. Ranger71

You're right, forward is definately the most important thing, especially with Boyle back and McD soon hopefully. If either were out past the new year it would be more pressing. It would be nice if Moore could step up his game and provide some offense.

12. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

I'm for trading a dman as to add a top 9 forward. Was thinking Klein should be the guy but he's played well so now I'm thinking it should be Staal because he's not likely to be resigned. Allen or Hunwick could give the Rangers what Staal does.

13. kreidertime

Those guys can't give you what Staal does. Staal is vastly underrated by the fan base. He can go against top lines in the league and shut them down. Those guys can't do that. Period.

That being said, whether they trade Staal or not will depend on how confident they are in Skjei. As I said before, I'm starting to get as high on Walcott as a prospect as I was with Duclair. Not far behind I'm tempted to talk up Graves who at 6'4, 225 lbs can be an eventual Staal replacement with a little more improvement.

I'm still on the O'Reilly kick now. With so many young wings that need to be developed, I think it's crucial to be three strong down the middle.

14. Ranger71

They're definately in the lower 3rd of C depth of all NHL teams. O' Reilly would be a nice addition, and even a Vermette would boost them offensively more than Moore does. Then move Hayes to wing the rest of the year.