SANDOVAL WILL BE A BOSTON MISTAKE

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by Messiah717, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

A fat fuck with declining production. Great in the playoffs and I have no idea why he would leave a place he's beloved and has won three championships.

2. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

That puzzles the shit out of me also.

3. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...the 3 basic human emotions are;

1. greed

2. fear

3. greed

4. Yankeefan5545

Yankeefan5545 Well-Known Member

Retired
    That makes two of us, you got to wonder what is going through his (Sandovals) mind. You know the expectations will be high and if not met the Boston Fan Base will eat him alive. That will also happen to Head Case Hanley if he flubs the Dub playing left field. The moves the Red Sox are making now remind me of the ones they made in '11 when they got A-gone, Crawford and the like and we remember where that went.

5. Rick2583

As much as he was loved in SF he could get away with 15 / 70 / 275 but if he puts those numbers up in Boston he's going to get eaten alive.

6. Yankeefan5545

Yankeefan5545 Well-Known Member

Retired
    Maybe he'll get a little help from his friends first and formost Big Sloppi.

7. totus44

totus44 Lord of the Dark Side

I fear I'm not greedy enough....check. ;)

8. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...I love how the Red Sox nation propaganda machine is spinning "big moves" as great moves.

...for the recent moves to really pay off, Boston needs to be in a "win now" mode...because within 3-4 years, Sandoval, Hanley, Pedroia will have begun to decline and their contracts will then be a burden...and of course, Papi won't be around either.

9. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.

The morale to this story, is:
    players picked up as Free Agents, or trades, often implode in Fenway. One would expect any hitter to flourish in Fenway, with the Green Monster a LL distance, and the short RF porch. Yet, many freshly acquired players in Boston go on to flop flat on their faces....there's a reason for this, of which I don't have all the answers to why. All I can look at is the facts, and stats.
    Something within the Bosox Organization, is off kilter, to see these 4 players not perform to their norm, let alone exceed the norms.

Yep, these moves remind me too much of acquiring Carl Crawford, and Adrian Gonzo Gonzalez. Marco Scutaro, and Josh Reddick also. I personally expected great things from all 4 players, who all under achieved only in Boston. The Green Monster & deep CF for Crawford to have doubles standing up, in lieu of normal singles. As much I expected Crawford to contend for the SB title.

I expected Gonzo to benefit from the short RF porch. Be amongst League Leaders in HR's and RBI's. It never happend for all 4 noted players. Who all flourished in trades to the Bums, A's and Giants....Gonzo went from a 6 million dollar pay day in Bean Town, to a 21 Million $$ contract in L.A. Gonzo with his 4 Gold Gloves IMO was the Bums MVP this year, with Gordon a close 2nd.

Why is it, Boston obtains key players, who only flub on the field, once in Fenway. Then they get traded, and flourish. Why is this? Perhaps Bosox Brass, don't have a clue about obtaining, trading, buying FA's, to piece together a team that will compliment each other. Something tells me tho', many players sent to Bean Town, who don't flourish, are having a hard time adapting, not to Fenway, one of the friendliest Hitters Ballparks. Yet, something beyond Fenway or the Mgr's, themselves, seem to reveal a bigger problem, with the Brass of Boston, especially after Theo stepped down and out. Some ingredients seem to be lacking in the Bosox Kitchen, and Baked Beans. Probably lacking Molasses to bind the Team together as Unit????? Overall, a root cause analysis, would claim, the Owners, Admins, GM, and all Brass are THE single Systemic Failure....!!!

Crawford, and Gonzo were traded to LA, along with Beckett. Gonzo's paycheck went from 6 Million$$ in BeanTown, to 21 Million $$$ in L.A. Crawford got a 4 million $$$ raise to come to L.A. Other than Crawford missing a few too many games. L.A. has not yet utilized his base stealing capabilities, why? Are those over sized Hammies too fragile to tear?
    While Gonzo has become a critical player, and is a Key element in the Bums org. I doubt we will see Gonzo ever hit 40 HR"s again, yet he still has a lifetime .995 Fldg. Pctg. and I won't be surprised when he takes home more Gold Gloves. 4 already to his name.....b/t his GG fielding, and a return of a RBI champ, he's a firm anchor for the Bums. Donnie BB, has said, his favorite player is Dee Gordon, (due to his lack of offense and bumbling defense, of which Dee took seriously and went back down to the Minors, worked his bugs out, and came back to the Bums firing on all cylinders). Whereas Donnie BB has said over and over, "Gonzo is our Anchor who holds this team together, and no doubt the MVP of this team."

My simple point, with this ridiculous long post is simple. Many players moreso in todays era, tho' proven their skills prior to being traded or bought by Boston, most seem to implode once in Fenway. The only exception was letting the entire Infield get fired, traded, for more lesser known names, IMO, in 05-06.

10. Mattingly23NY

Damn it, another Novella of a thread.....

59, can I purchase those College Text Books, for one liner replies. Are you still the Dean of the 1 liner school? I'd like to enroll-for 1 liner 101....

11. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

rumor is that the money offer was basically equal from san fran, kind of a slap in the face.

all in all i guess i cant really begrudge panda for wanting to change scenery, and i think the money was a little high, but still a little sad today, was one of my favorite players

12. blgridesagain

blgridesagain team player

Saw Dan Pleisac on MLB Network gushing over the Redsox.
    Going on about how there's a method to their madness and how clever they were dumping those salaries a couple years ago, then winning a Championship and now reloading.

I have a different opinion- I believe the Redsox currently may be closer to what they have been in two of the last three seasons.
    Their young players have been less than stellar.
    The prime "prospect", Xander Bogaerts, took a step backwards last year and there isn't a hint of a scary slugger amoung their other young home-grown players....little pea-shooters. lol
    The young pitchers I saw last year for the most part are pedestrian without any electric stuff and the closer has floated down to earth.

And now they have another headband wearing idiot named Ramirez (who isn't close to the hitter the old Ramirez was) in leftfield and a switch hitter 3rd baseman who has put up "pretty good" numbers the past couple of years.

The Redsox DO HAVE a couple more potential moves they can make - and unless they land two good pitchers, SP and/or reliever...they're going NOWHERE.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  13. Rick2583

I'll be curious to see who they get to replace him. Rumor has it they're interested in Headley & he and Bochy have history. We'll see.

14. blgridesagain

He could make me eat my words but- I couldn't care less if Headley signs with the Yanks or not.

Go with Prado and the farm hands (Pirela/Refsnyder) for 3b/2b/ part time RF, and that's that.

15. Mattingly23NY

That might be a risky move. Keep Headley for 1 more year. Allow Prado to play each Infield position to see where he thrives most naturally. Bring up Refsnsyder as a back up to Headley, and or switch around Ref with Pierla, see who has the better drive on both sides of the field. Allow the two rookies time to watch and learn what and how MLB is in the Big House that MO' and RE2PECT built.....!!

16. blgridesagain

Headley isn't going to sign for one year,
    Refsnyder has played 2b and RF, (minors)
    Pirela has played 2b,RF and some games at LF and 1B (minors)
    Yanks have to do all they can to incorporate these two young players into the lineup.
    They need to play, often. Now is the time.
    Either they can or can't do it.
    All indications are they have proven themselves in the minors and need/deserve their shot.
    If just ONE of them becomes a good solid contributor, the Yanks did well for the org.

17. Rick2583

I completely agree with this. We need to give these kids a chance. The team is not getting any younger.

18. Hammerojustice

Hammerojustice Chief Caveman, Keeper of Thor's Hammer

I've heard Headley will likely command a deal in the ballpark of 4 years, $60M

19. Rick2583

IMO he was over paid as it was at $10.5M anyone giving him $15M needs to have there head examined.

20. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

headley graded out with +defense last year. if he is a >.700 ops guy then he is still valuable, but if he can put up a .750-.800 he is a bargain at 10, and 15 is more than fair

had a higher WAR last year than pablo in 100+ less at bats