How much more of this idiot Glass does this fan base have to put up with

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by kreidertime, Nov 27, 2014.

1. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

He basically was brought here for two reasons. To protect the team which he can't do. To kill penalties which he sucks at. Our PK unit blows against the better teams. This reject needs to be sent to the minors.

2. chuckd3534

chuckd3534 Well-Known Member

This guy was the main topic in the game thread last night, and everyone is on board. It is the one thing I get on AV about. To me he was directly responsible for the 3rd and 4th TB goals last night.

The guy is a -9 in 21 games playing 10 minutes a game. That is VERY difficult to do, and is a level of suckatood that is hard to reach.

Put it in perspective. Glass is a -9. No one else on the team is worse than a -4. And 2 of the 3 guys at -4 are Malone (off the team now) and Miller (played 3 games). Brassard is the 3rd guy, and he has been getting better, was a +2 last night, AND has 17 points in 21 games...on pace for 23 goals and 66 points.

+/- is not the end all be all, but when you play 10:15 a game on average yet somehow sit at -9 through 21 games (-5 worse than ANY OTHER PLAYER ON THE TEAM), it tells you something. And what it tells me is Glass is awful. 12th forward or not he is killing this team and destroying the 4th line by himself.

In today's NHL there really is very little fighting, so he doesn't add much there. I also VERY seriously doubt any team is saying oh boy we better be careful otherwise Glass will get us, so to me he adds zero intimidation. So I am left asking...what does this guy add? NOTHING IMO...but I do know how he kills us that's for sure.

Send him down and eat 600 K or so. Admit signing him was a total disaster and flat out an awful more (still can't understand why he was signed for 3 years). You can bury 800 K or so in the minors, so do it. Have 600 K or so dead on the cap and MOVE ON. The guy is awful and is killing the 4th line by himself.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  3. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

The argument for keeping Glass around is that if we send him down and activate Stempniak we'd have without a doubt the smallest and softest team in the NHL. It's true that Glass hasn't exactly been laying the wood on people or doing very much policing but at least the possibility is there (I guess).

The internal fix to the lack of size would be to recall Malone for the 4th, but in what's becoming a troubling pattern AV has decided he doesnt like Malone's game and we probably won't see him again. Miller could be an internal fix as well but he needs 8 more seasons in Hartford apparently. I really don't know how you can compare Miller and Glass and settle on Glass.

The external fix I still think is Chris Stewart. There was another article a few days ago that a lot of teams, including almost the whole East, have scouted him but havent been impressed enough to pay Buffalo's asking price of a pick and prospect. I say screw that. First, Buffalo is a black hole. Nobody on that team looks impressive outside of maybe Girgensons. Second, the closer we get to the deadline, somebody is going to pay it. Big, tough guys who can also skate and have expiring contracts are exactly what everyone looks for at the deadline. Kristo and a pick, Bodie and a pick, Fast and a pick, I dont care. We shouldnt be worried about overpaying because every game that goes by our window shuts a little bit more. I'm not saying Stewart is the savior, but he's available, fills a need, and I think can fit AV's system without being a liability. Google his fight with Lucic from a few weeks ago and tell me you wouldnt love him in a Ranger sweater.

4. kreidertime

Glass sucks on every level. It's an embarrassment.

I told the clowns at OTG and HF that the Rangers were probably going to have to play 3-4 rookies this year because of their cap space issues next year. They are already playing 2 on their third line. Miller should be on our 4th line which would give us 3 rookies in the lineup. Getting back to the finals was never an option. Team would be wise to banish Glass, bring up Miller to the 4th line, then trade Staal for the most they can get. Let Allen take his place.

5. kreidertime

I'm still all over making the following deal

O'Reilly

for

Hagelin
    Miller
    Staal
    Glass(Has to be included)

Hate to give up Hagelin but he's another guy that will probably want too much as a RFA. The reality is that Hayes, Kreider, Buchnevich and Duclair will be fairly affordable for the next 3 to 5 years. They need centers to develop them.

6. theProdigy223

Well dump the Avs are certainly listening to O'Reilly offers right now, and they are rumored to be seeking blueline help, but thats a TON to give up. We would be deep down the middle, but very young and inexperienced on the wings. If we want O'Reilly I'd see if we can swing it without giving up Hags, hes a great playoff guy and vital to the PK which has already taken a huge hit substituting Boyle with Glass.

7. kreidertime

I also would love to trade a Fast, Glass and perhaps Hunwick and bring Korpikoski back to put on the 4th line and help our crappy PK unit.

8. chuckd3534

On the Glass size/intimidation thing I don't buy it. In theory I 100% get what you are saying Prod, but I just don't see him adding any intimidation. And he isn't a huge guy who adds a lot of size either. I just see zero positives with Glass. I actually didn't mind Malone on the 4th line, but AV isn't a fan so that is out. At this point I would try Miller and see how it goes. Play Stemp and Miller with Moore and see how it goes. Not a lot of size...sure, but in the short term give it a run.

I think a guy like Stewart would be a good target. Either him or someone like him. I have been saying for weeks the one thing I think we need is another top 9 forward. He would fit the bill. Add that top 9 forward and this team gets deeper and players play in their correct roles.

As for the SCF, I don't know why you'd say getting back to the finals was never an option dump. I am not saying we will get back. I know the East is better and deeper this season. I also know it is difficult to lose the SCF and get back the next season, but I won't simply dismiss it as no shot. In the NHL get into the playoffs and you have a punchers chance. With Hank in goal and a very good deep D we always have a chance.

This team has played ZERO games fully healthy...ZERO. That should come tomorrow or Saturday when McD returns. Let me see how a full team looks for a little while before writing them off. I am not writing off a season 21 games in, double so when we are in adecent spot right now AND we have been injured the whole season. Our # 1 C missed 12 games. Our # 1 dman and captain has missed at least 11 games. Boyle missed 14 games. That is a lot when you consider the season is 21 games old. Let me see how this team plays at full health and then I'll make a call on the full season.

9. theProdigy223

ha, I was thinking about Korpedo the other day. He's actually playing on the first line right now with Vermette and Boedker. I know the Yotes are no offensive juggernaut but he's a hell of a lot better than Enver freakin Lisin. God that guy sucked, wish we could get a do-over on that one.

10. kreidertime

Sorry but next year, this is so much of a better team. Even without Hagelin and Staal

Duclair-Stepan-Nash
    Buchnevich-Brassard-Zucc
    Kreider-O'Reilly-Hayes
    Korpikoski-Moore-Stempniak

Girardi-McDonagh
    Skjei-Klein
    Moore-Boyle

11. theProdigy223

I dont buy it either chuck, I've been posting for about a month now that he needs to go. Just playing devil's advocate regarding what he allegedly brings to the team.

12. chuckd3534

My opinion is I don't see them bringing in a guy like O'Reilly with a 6 mill + cap hit. Stepan is already in line for a big raise, bring in O'R and you lock in Step getting over 6 mill as well.

We also need to keep in mind Staal's trade value won't be as big as it normally would be because he is a UFA this summer. Aside from the fact I don't see him staying out West in Colorado, that is a huge risk for them, and not sure they would do it. I've been on the deal Staal bandwagon since the end of last season, but I wonder what type of value he brings as a UFA. All I know is to me it makes ZERO sense for us to re-sign him for 6 mill a season considering the makeup of the team and the other UFA/RFA players we have.

13. theProdigy223

I seem to be in the clear minority now but I still give Staal a Girardi deal (no more) and trade Klein instead. Staal has not been good but he has a proven track record and I think will turn it around. Klein has been awesome, no denying that, but I don't like his 3m per on the third pair which is where he should be penciled in on a good team. At some point he will come back to earth, he isnt going to score 15 goals this year. Use Allen on the third pair. and save 2m.

We'll see. Heading out for the day, have a great holiday everyone.

14. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

They should try and turn Staal and a few prospects into Tlusty and Harrison. Or go after one of the solid UFAs on a bottom feeder. Foligno, Stewart, Glencross, Perron, Fleischmann etc..

15. chuckd3534

I just don't see re-siging Staal for 5.5/6 mill a year as a good move for us. Klein is not Staal, but he can be a # 4 dman IMO. And after Staal's new deal he'll be 2.7 to 3 mill per season cheaper than Staal. To me the difference in their play is not 2.7 mill at least. Staal is not double the player Klein is I don't think.

The other thing people need to understand about the cap is you can't have all these players making over 5 mill per. Even if you feel you can fit these guys in money wise, too many big deals for solid not great players kills your depth. With Girardi locked in long term. McD locked in long term. Klein locked in at a solid 2.9 for a few years. Boyle around next season. Moore doubtful to go anywhere. I just don't see the need for another big ticket item on D in Staal who is not great, but very good...a 2nd pair dman I'd say....most likely a # 3. I rather have Klein for 1/2 the price, or close to it.

We do need another forward though, so that would be my focus. If Staal walks this summer I can live with that if I can't get value back now and we are still right there at the trade DL...which I fully expect.

Intelligent people can disagree on this though, and none of us can see the future, so who knows...maybe bringing Staal back is the right move. I don't think so, but who knows really.

You have a great Holiday as well buddy.

16. chuckd3534

Let's keep it simple. Go deal for a top 9 forward on a bad team and plug him in. Then let the fully healthy team play some games with the top 9 forward added and see how it goes. To me it is that simple, and what I would do if I was Sather/AV.

That and get Glass off the team NOW.

17. kreidertime

O'Reilly is a top defensive center. Let's face it. Sather isn't as dumb as he used to be. He knows right now this team doesn't matchup up with Tampa. Doesn't have the centers to matchup with the Islanders until they screw their team up again. I wasn't for O'Reilly last year. Now I'm all in on this guy. Especially with the young wings here. O'Reilly is capable of putting up 60 points also. To me, if this guy is out there Sather has to make a heck of an offer to acquire him.

It might take Hagelin, Miller, Staal, Glass and a promising prospect like Graves to get him. Still a win IMO. Has to be done. One thing the Rangers do well is sign and draft defenseman. They can find replacements.

18. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

I think the team significantly improves by putting Miller in for Glass. I thought Glass would add grit that last year's Ranger team lacked but like so many other free agents brought in to be physical Glass has been a disappointment. An occasional hard check but not enough, I do wonder if part of it is AV not believing in old school hockey's place in today's game. That was the knock on him after he left the Canucks.

This Rangers team needs one more established veteran. Glen has plenty of viable pieces to make a trade. I can't see keeping Staal for what he wants, UFA or not a team that needs to bolster their defense could use Staal. Hagelin is another guy I can't see giving a pay raise. He has terrific speed and... that's it. Far from a prolific scorer (104 points in 205 career games and 18 in his last 37 postseason games). He should create a lot more offensively with his speed but doesn't, helps on special times but I don't think the Rangers are doomed without him. So Glen has two viable pieces for a team looking to make a deal for this year not the future. I don't see Glass being added in a trade, he's been utterly useless this year.

19. chuckd3534

Here's the thing though, if we were to trade Staal and/or Hags we need to get something back that will help us NOW. This is not a down the road play for next year team. The MSL/Cally deal worked because MSL wanted out and only wanted to be here. To find that match for Staal/Hags won't be as easy. Can be done, but won't be easy...especially with Staal a UFA and Hags an RFA this summer.

Again, I really think we should just look to deal a prospect and maybe a pick for a good solid top 9 forward to round out the 3rd line. I think we are all over thinking this and acting as if we have all these issues that need to be fixed. We have a great goalie. We have a very good D, and our best guy will be back by Saturday worst case. Add a solid legit top 9 forward and be done with it. Then we'll be fine I think.

20. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    100% disagree, klein has played 2x better than staal and his 3m salary is going to be half what staal is going to want. Staal has not progressed at all i doubt he will get back to his former self no way should he get a raise. Keep klein, move staal and package him with one of the smurfs to bring in a third line center. Im comfortable with mac and danny g, klein and boyle and moore and allen.