Props to Derek Stepan

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by theProdigy223, Nov 28, 2014.

1. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

Kid has taken a beating on this board but he's playing some of the best hockey of his career right now. I know it's a small sample size so far this year but after missing camp he's looked great and has been clicking with St.Louis. If Kreider can get his act together that line could be real good.

2. chuckd3534

chuckd3534 Well-Known Member

I mentioned in the TB game thread, he has become the # 1 C we all hoped he would. He is a legit threat now on both ends of the ice. 70 points in his future at somepoint I think, at least 65.

Have to get him signed long term this summer. No games with him, he is worth it.

3. chuckd3534

If Kreider gets his act together and that line becomes potent to go with the Brass line, then all we need is a 3rd line to play well. Go deal for a top 9 forward and watch us win a lot of games...

4. theProdigy223

Brass and Zucc have been inconsistent at best this year. Nash has been making up the difference. If those two can string some good games together and get rolling, the top 6 will be as good a unit as there is in the league.

5. chuckd3534

I agree on Brass and Zucc, but that line has been scoring due to Nash, and that is the bottom line.

I like our top 6 A LOT. I like Hayes A LOT. Hags is a very solid 3rd line player. I like our D a lot with McD back. Hank is Hank. We need one more guy to round out that 3rd line and we'll be set to win big I believe.

Speaking of Hayes, I must say I am a huge fan. You clearly have seen him get better and better as this season has gone on. If he learns to shoot more and win a few more faceoffs, he will be there. I really like what he adds as a 3rd line player. We were very lucky to get him.

6. theProdigy223

I like Hayes too and I really like his size. Hes still learning how to use it but has beem good along the boards. Another positive with him is that he's been getting some PK time and hasn't looked half bad. If he can contribute there as well it'll only make him more valuable.

7. chuckd3534

I know the theme in here is to be negative most of the time, so I guess I am in the minority, but I really like this team. I think we have the ability to do special things again.

We took step 1 and step 2 today IMO. Got McD back to be fully healthy for the 1st time all season. We took step 2 today as well...getting AWFUL Glass out (best game by 4th line all season). Now we need to take step 3...adding another top 9 forward.

Call me crazy, but a 3rd line of Hags/Hayes/the top 9 forward we add looks very good to me.

Win tomorrow and that is 4 of 5 and finally we get a little roll going. Need to get the W tomorrow though.

8. chuckd3534

Some of my fellow Ranger fans in here should go read LeBrun's blog today. He nails it I think and echo's exactly what I have been saying.

The title:

The Rangers should get credit for staying in the picture

There's something to be said about whether you're a person who views life as the glass half-full or the glass half-empty.

There's been much talk in New York of late about why the Rangers have been inconsistent so far this season. And we're not here to say they haven't been.

But I would suggest the Rangers deserve credit for just keeping their heads above water over the opening quarter of the season when you consider their blue-line injuries.

You're talking about a team that went nearly all of November without star captain Ryan McDonagh, which went five weeks after the opening game of the season without Dan Boyle, missed John Moore for five games while he was suspended, and Kevin Klein also missed a pair of games. There were long stretches when just Marc Staal and Dan Girardi were regulars on defense.

To put it in perspective, when it comes to missing McDonagh and Boyle for that long, consider how you think the Montreal Canadiens would have fared without P.K. Subban and Andrei Markov for the same length of time, even if the Boyle and McDonagh injuries only overlapped for two weeks.

9. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

I disagree. If AV had rid the team of Glass from day one when it was obvious in training camp he can't play, created a 4th line using Miller that could generate some offense, the team would probably have at least 3 to 4 more points right now. AV has been an imbecile with Glass. The total crap play of the 4th line is a big reason the team hasn't played better. It's just not the injuries the team has had. It's the crap 4th line. That falls on the coach.

10. chuckd3534

What do you disagree with? That the world isn't ending and we are doing pretty well to be in this position right now despite all of our injuries on D?

Now I do 10000000000% agree with AV f'ing up on Glass, that is the one thing I have been on AV about, so I agree there. But overall I still think it is at worst solid that we are where we are considering all the injuries on D.

Win today and that's 4 of 5 so a nice little roll (so what if 3 of the 4 would be against Philly).

11. kreidertime

I agree that things could have been worse. However, if not for AV's blunders with the 4th line and Kostka, they could have been better also. That being said, I still like the way AV sticks with lines to develop chemistry which dumbass Torts refused to do. Only problem I have is he has stuck with Glass when the entire hockey world knows he sucks.

12. chuckd3534

We agree, the Glass thing is the issue. Outside of that I really have no issues with AV, and am happy with where we are right now all things considered. When you are down 4 dmen Kostka is going to play. You want to say play some other unproven guy, okay to me that is nit-picking because who really knows.

Overall I am fine with where we are and have no issues with AV outside of the Glass disaster. If he is back in Monday I will not be happy.

13. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I like what Stepan has been doing, but you don't suddenly become a top line center in 10gms. He needs to perform at a similar level for much longer than a couple of weeks. His contract negotiation will be very interesting. Brassard, whos' never even hit 50pts in a year, is making $5m/yr, so God knows what Stepan will be looking for and whether he'll be worth it.

And Glass, ugh. That's all i can say about that one.

14. chuckd3534

Couldn't agree more...he 100% has to do it over the long haul. That is why I feel he is becoming the # 1 C we want him to be. He needs to continue to show it over the full season. No doubt about it.

Stepan gets 6 or so. Brass is at 5. Seems to work.

In today's NHL Brass is a 5 mill player. On pace for 22 goals and 63 points. If he hits those #'s he is well worth 5 mill per. He has to continue for 82 games, but so far he has played pretty well.

Step has 11 points in 10 games, so he is getting it done as well.

Long season ahead, but I feel pretty good with Step and Brass at C. If Hayes continues to develop we could be pretty solid at C.

15. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Step is getting 6 plus. Its just a matter of how much plus over 6 he gets.

16. chuckd3534

Two more goals for Brass today as well. And Hayes continues to play well as the 3rd C. We cannot win faceoffs, but outside of that our 1-3 C punch is pretty solid I'd say.

17. chuckd3534

I agree, sure Step will be in the low 6's, and he is worth it IMO. If we can lock him up for 5 years I'd do it. 5 years 31 mill...sign me up now.

Let's say 11.3 locked up in Step and Brass. Low wage for Hayes. Not bad down the middle cap wise.

18. kreidertime

I would not rule out Zucc not being back next year if he decides to ask for a lot of money. With Buchnevich in the wings, Duclair getting valuable experience this year, Miller on wing, they might not want to pay him that much. As far as Hayes goes. Still don't see a ton that impresses me. He's a good passer. However, I still see him as Boyle's 4th line replacement. If AV pulls his head out of butt with Miller, let's him play all year on the wing on the 4th line, he should be ready for 3rd line wing duty next season. Rangers are putting a lot into Hayes taking the 3rd center spot. If Miller plays wing which he should, there is nobody in the system that projects to fill the 3rd center spot. Lindberg looks like a 4th line center. Nieves actually has picked it up. Maybe he can get back on track after sucking last year.

19. chuckd3534

I couldn't disagree more on Hayes. I see a lot that impresses me. He has clearly gotten better as the season has moved on and he has gotten more comfortable with the NHL game.

He still has work to do on faceoffs, and shooting the puck, but he has improved and to me is clearly heading in the right direction.

20. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

I think the board is 50/50 regarding the negativity Chuck, many like myself think this team is better than last year's and have said so before the season started. There are a few here though who would criticize the way Rangers lifted the Cup should they go all the way. AV is inconsistent with guys like Miller who should have been playing last year over Dorcillo and Glass this year. If he sends Miller down when Glass gets over the mumps that is a fair criticism. That being said Torts was far worse with the young players so AV is still a major improvement. This team still isn't hitting on all cylinders and they're playing great hockey.

Stepan has been a very good offensive player and deserves the raise. Already has 12 points in 11 games this year and a career 209 points in 305 games and only 24, a no brainer to lock up long term. I agree with you about Hayes too, a big body who was an absolute steal by Glen. He just needs to be a little more selfish offensively, Hayes ripped a wrist shot yesterday that Emery just got enough of to deflect wide but left me wanting him to shoot whenever he gets the chance. I'm wondering if he might be better on a line with CK since they're familiar with each other. CK has taken a lot of grief perhaps rightly so but Zucc & Hags deserve just as much as they too have been underperforming.

On a side note wtf with the scheduling again this year? Play Tampa tomorrow and off until Sat/Monday then off again until Saturday.