Is Portland for real?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mediocre Man, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Ok, serious question.

I mean a real championship contender

They are now 18-6, which is a damn fine record, but who have they beat? I pointed out in another thread that their record vs teams above .500 wasn't very good, and that they have had an easy schedule. They now have the third easiest strength of schedule in the league and their record vs teams above .500 at this point in the season is 2-4

Please don't merge this. I am genuinely interested in having a discussion about this. Is everything as rosy as it seems to be?

2. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I think they are for real. One main reason is we haven't even played our best basketball. Our offense will eventually come around, which is our main calling card.

With the added defense, and when the offense comes around, we should be a top 3 western conference team

3. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

Depends on definition of for real. We are for real enough to win another series. I don't see us in WCF at this point though. Of course that could change and hopefully we get even better as the season goes on.

Edit: See you said Championship contender. I see us as possible contender but not one I would bet on at this point.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  4. Mediocre Man

This is not to be combative, although it may come off that way, but what makes you think we haven't played our best basketball, and that our offense still needs to come around?

6th in scoring is pretty damn nice

5. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

I think they are "for real" as far as having a pretty decent chance to advance to the second round of the playoffs, our bench is better but we could still us a more dynamic scoring wing like a Gerald Green and/or a better overall backup PF, it seems we have the pieces to perhaps add one or both of those pieces but does Neal think this way? I don't know

6. magnifier661

Because most games all the players have been shooting very inconsistent. We had one complete game vs Dallas.

7. Mediocre Man

Maybe that's the exception and not the rule?

8. magnifier661

Nah we've seen Batum have decent shooting stats his entire career. The fact that he's been so dismal at shooting is one indicator. The second has been how we've been so inconsistent in shooting from one game to the next. Matthews can go 6-8 from three, then 1-15 the next.

Good shooters are streaky of course, but not that streaky.

9. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Nope.

10. Mediocre Man

Maybe last year we snuck up on people? Could it also be that teams are taking us more seriously this season in their scouting reports and designing defenses to make us shoot where we don't want to shoot from?

11. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

NBA Strength of Schedule (games played so far):
    http://espn.go.com/nba/stats/rpi/_/sort/SOS

12. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Good posts, MM. Who knows? The Kings beat lots of good teams last season and didn't make the playoffs. 18-6 is s good record no matter who you're playing. These other top teams like Houston, Memphis, and GS got bounced in the first round last year. We've shown we can win a series. We've got a strong mental toughness. We don't choke like the 91 and 2000 teams were prone to doing. I personally think the top 7 teams in the West are all contenders. It will be fun to see what happens. I'm rooting for us to get the best record but I don't think seeding will matter. Plus, OKC is coming on strong. That means 8 contenders in the West. Crazy.

I hear what you're saying about teams scouting us and that being a reason our offense isn't as good this year but we are mostly adjusting to that. I'm happy with where we're at.

13. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    They are good, not great. Maybe they will get to the WCF, but I doubt it.

14. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I'll merge whatever the hell I want to!

Screw that, $10 or I'm deleting it. PM me for my paypal info.

15. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Yes, this team is for real. LMA's game is expanding, Lillard's game is expanding, Matthews' game is expanding, all have gotten better. Stott's and the players are looking to use Lopez more on offense. Batum is having a down season but he will pick back up to career averages. Our bench is better. Blake and Kaman give us more consistent scoring and versatility with our line ups.

I know I'm wasting my breath saying this but some of you over-analyze this team. The moment by moment overreaction of everything each player does during the game is ridiculous. This team is getting better at defense. This is a team that last year everyone wanted in the first round of the playoffs. Even if we don't have HCA no one is going to want to face us in the opening round of the playoffs. This team is for real.

16. magnifier661

Hear hear! And you and I can enjoy the season and success while the others will try and say "well this was why I think this" and cover.

17. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Is SA for real?
    Their SOS is essentially the same and our record is better.

Honest answer to the OP: It's too early. I would say that GS is, unfortunately.

18. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Based on their strength of schedule and lack of "marquee" wins (however you want to define that) I'd say the answer to whether or not they are "for real" is probably no, if "for real" means legitimate threat to win a title. Then again there are guys on the team like Nic that who are playing below their career averages, so I guess there's still time for improvement from within.

Honestly though, it still feels like this team lacks a defensive ace or somebody on the bench that can come into a game and provide a threat night to night. Short answer, they probably need a trade if they want to go from good to great.

19. magnifier661

Golden State should win easily against the ADless Pelicants! Why are teams even showing up to play against them?!

20. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    We're on pace to win 62 games. We have the 2nd highest scoring Big 3 in the NBA (behind Cleveland). We are already great. Some of you just have a problem admitting we have a great team. Last season, we opened the season strong with wins against Indiana, OKC, Chicago (with Rose), and GS and you still wouldn't believe. We have the fourth best record in the NBA. Enjoy it. We are for real.