Ok Guys...

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by JeterRules20, Dec 18, 2014.

1. JeterRules20

JeterRules20 Member

Take it with a grain of salt but my source told me that the Yankees were about to do something big. I guess we will see in the next few days if he is right.

2. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...hope you're right, Jill...you were earlier this week.

...hopefully, this time, your source won't take 3 days to be confirmed correct !...lol...sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:

3. JeterRules20

JeterRules20 Member

I agree 59..Last time it took a few days longer than hoped. He didn't give me a time frame but hoped it would be sooner rather than later. We can only hope. Fingers crossed.

4. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

Lets hope for the best Jill.

5. totus44

totus44 Lord of the Dark Side

Define BIG! I'd settle for a $61M buyout.

6. yankeesince59

...what I'm hoping is that "something big" means either a big name pitcher signing or they figured a way to part with ARod.

...now, that I think of it, if I'm gonna dream, .......why can't I have both?

7. yankeesince59

..."great minds......".

8. totus44

Agreed. I mean call it a quarter billion weekend....take 250, subtract 61 and offer Max 189. I love it when numbers round out nicely.

9. yankeesince59

...I find it strange that some believe that the Yanx can't/won't eat a big chunk of ARod's contract...and they're by no means the only team who will be faced with taking it in the ass because of ill-advised contracts.

...if they really want to put the best product on the field and boost sagging attendance, they'll cut their losses and and admit they made a huge mistake and learn from that mistake, and move on.

10. totus44

Right, as others get into bigger and bigger contracts there will need to be some new mechanisms in MLB. I could see two potential finance caveats: contract write offs are proportionally written off from luxury tax owed as these contracts hit against 'the cap' so to speak; and teams that receive lux tax and write off big contracts can only use a portion of that revenue to pay the write off...they still need to field competitive teams.

11. yankeesince59

...I think I know what you're saying, but I'm not sure.

...Wouldn't those 2 caveats encourage teams to make even more ill-advised contracts?

12. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    With as much $$$ as dued, I can't see these caveats NOT setting an ill fated precedence, much like the over bloated commodity blank check (damn near) syndrom, conundrum B.S., Contracts. 2 Wrongs don't make a right....!

13. totus44

Yes and no. I think we'd see a natural evolution towards more performance laden contracts, while at the same time not illiciting a suit from MLBPA for collusion to drive down players wages. You build in safe guarding terms first, and than strategically design approaches that do not rely on them. Perhaps add compensatory draft picks. Remember you can't do anything overtly that could be construed to reduce wages.

14. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

Personally I think there should be clauses in every contract when it comes to these athletes. With an OPT out clause not being one of them.

15. JeterRules20

JeterRules20 Member

I did hear if anything happens they hope to do it before Christmas. Does not sound like this will be quick.

16. Mattingly23NY

Sorry the last thing I see on "pay for performance" is Collusion or any "Overt" attempts; to lessen wages, when this has been the way with Most Fortune 500 Corporations, moreso with the Top 100 of those Fortune Corps.

One method to pay beyond a flat base salary. It is the Capitalist way of fairness. You don't perform, you get your base salary only, with no bonuses for "play for performance". In no way is this Unfair and not collusion. This system pre-dates MLB policies by decades. The True measure of what a player is worth with benefits for milestones, which are also set with the Players own Input. "Performance Management Plans" (PMPs). A player also receives fair pay for Disabilities on the job as well. As well each team should maintain their own Team method of Pay for performance, otherwise if MLB did so, then yes it may be called collusion. Tho' its not, it actually works the reverse of what your thinking. If you underperformed at work, Tom, what would happen to you, you'd still get your base salary with little to no COLA or Bonuses?

No how is this Unfair????

I've worked under this system for 30 years, in Middle to Upper Mgmt., and always made out much better, than a flat base salary, those bonuses are very very sweet. Some I've seen over decades make double or triple, their base salary alone; with bonuses for meeting or- exceeding goals and pay, for outstanding performances. Those who whine over as much, are those who are not true performers; lacking the motivation or drive to excel. Rather the other is a modern American way of those who come to work, do as little as possible, and demand as much $$$ as they can, for what??? If you can see it on paper, you can fix it....!!!

17. Mattingly23NY

To reiterate and clarify some points:-

If you see this as anything less, your missing the mark. No one said lessen their pay, this is actually a honest way of paying a salary, then some. Any player or the MLBPA balking at such, merely let the times fly by them, decades ago. As they missed the train on the one thing that could of saved MLB, with fair equitable contracts, WITH Compensation for Injury and DL time.

I don't care to use this sarcastic cliche you often use Tom, but your viewpoint, I despise to say IS Libtard speak at its worst, humble yourself, I mean no offense, to borrow your own line...:smile: Peace Brother....!

Why then is this a supposed prob? I don't see this as "Overt" or Collusion, or-any intent to lessen player wages, sure maybe for slugs who don't give a shit about performing, ie Hanley Ramirez, for one of many....

This is the only honest way to provide a fair equitable pay scale for all parties involved, Each team maintains separate rights to their own version of Pay for Performance, (PMP)....now what is wrong with that, when a player could possibly make even more than their flat salary base, if bonuses are reached, one could make more $$$ than a flat salary.

Maybe were talking semantics, yet I don't see it as such. just differing viewpoints, on Capital Investments of Commodity, which players ARE these days, nothing but Coms....

Hell, in my line of work, which is as Capitalistic as any MLB team, with Free Agency included, as no one owns a player other than their own agreed upon contracts, ie, length of contracts. No player has ever been forced to sign a contract, no player has been strong armed into doing as much....

18. Mattingly23NY

BTW- this is not twitter of Facebook, its a simple message board.....So why dishonor a longer post, which can enlighten one, or create a background for info, even in depth stories, to more than clarify a point.

No Tolstoy, only the Brother's Karamazov, then Crime and Punishment, FK Tolstoy, his War and Peace was one of the worst Novels I have ever read. Right up there with Dante's 'Divine Comedy': Inferno, Purgatorio, Paridisio....Now that is shit for long messages.

Again not twitter, hell not a text mesage, and no way a bio. Some subjects as you should know require more in depth critique or replies, than a simple, yet statement missing details or specifics....:tiphat:

No insult ever meant....

Gassho- 合掌

19. yankeesince59

...c'mon JR...I want it wrapped up in a big red bow !

20. totus44

Rob, one word...union. They are not going to agree to anything that remotely smells like giving owners financial breaks. Universal incentive laden contracts just aren't going to happen. This is just limit speed limit mass psychology. Set the limit to 55 and everyone ends up down 75 anyway. Raise the limit to 75 and few exceed it....there was an existing comfort level based on learned/shaped behavior.

Same thing happens with contracts and term sheets. You get into automatic modes. By mitigating the risk of swimming in the deep end, you end up spreading the big contracts around. Net result will be a shrinking of most salaries to offset the Stanton's.

It would take a year or so to equilibrate, but eventually work as designed....and the union looks foolish trying to oppose it.