Prospect update. Is a star being born in our system?

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by kreidertime, Dec 19, 2014.

1. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

You continually hear that the Rangers are very high on Ryan Graves. He had a hat trick tonight. Last year he had 5 G, 22 points in 54 games. This year he has 7 goals, 8 A in 17 games. At 6'4, 225 lbs, this is probably a guy they are looking at to replace Staal. Sure looks like the left side on defense will be McDonagh, Skjei and Graves for the future.

Walcott had another assist. Shame his team freakin sucks offensively. He has 19 points in 25 games as a +12. He plays against all the other teams top lines. I would think Walcott being very skilled moving the puck is the guy they will look to shift to the right side eventually. Every game that Graves improves to me is an sign they won't sign Staal. Tough part is if Staal plays well, how do they move him if they think they can make a playoff run? To lose him for nothing in FA is dumb. That will be Sather's toughest decision going forward.

2. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

The stat that matters most with Graves is he's much bigger than any player on the Rangers current defensive unit. There is really no reason other than sentimental to keep Staal, it all boils down to money and he's not worth $5+ make a deal and get something useful for him. Klein and Girardi have been solid while McDonough seems to be coming back to speed. Boyle has been a huge disappointment, the lack of assists is bad enough but coupled with the turnovers and his small stature I would love to see Glen move him. Boyle was signed to have an immediate impact and has been a dud. J. Moore has the physical skill to be a dman on this team when he comes to play, have to think he'll grow stronger mentally since he's still only 23. Hunwick has had some flashes of offense but lacks the size. I agree there are several options for AV in the AHL. Last year the Kings steamrolled to the front of the goal crease and planted themselves there bumping and screening Hank. I think Allen could step right in and could see Graves jumping over McIlrath on AV's depth chart.

3. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

Staal should be moved at some point this season, even if he plays out of his mind. They are not going to be able to resign him. He is going to demand a big raise. Like you said, losing him for nothing in FA is dumb.

4. kreidertime

The Rangers keep talking about Graves. They were talking about Duclair. They were talking about Buchnevich. They are no longer talking about McIlrath. If J. Moore had a brain with his skating, he could be a very good, NHL defenseman. However, I'm not sure that will happen. I also think a lot of people on HF overrate Skjei. They make him out to be this incredible, defensive defenseman. I have heard no such glowing reports. I hope he turns out to be a better version of J. Moore. Right now what Walcott is doing is much more impressive than what Skjei is doing. I already read some imbeciles in our fan base state Skapski has more upside than Halverson and Shesterkin which is completely moronic. No he doesn't. Not even close.

5. kreidertime

Goal is now a position that looks very promising for our future. I think Shesterkin might turn out to be the best of all our goalie prospects. However, that 2013 draft might be one of the greatest drafts in NHL history. The Rangers had 3, 3rd round picks, a 4th and a 6th. It's not out of the question that all 5 of those players make the NHL.

6. kreidertime

Yep. Losing him for nothing would set this organization back. You could probably get a 2nd and a good prospect for him. If he signs, a conditional first.

7. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

It'll be intersting to see what guys like Tambellini, Fogarty and Nieves do once they get to the AHL and out of the NCAA.

8. kreidertime

Fogarty is a bust. He can't even score in college. He's a poor prospect. For a brief second I thought to start this year that he finally got it. Then, he went back to being Fogarty. Sucking. Nieves has been unpressive the last 2 years. The Rangers at the center position suck in the farm. Good thing Stepan, Brassard and Hayes if he stays there are all fairly young. Lindberg is potentially our 4th line center. The center draft picks have been quite lame. I said before the Rangers probably will be looking at right handed defenseman in the draft. Center is probably the other position.

9. chuckd3534

chuckd3534 Well-Known Member

With every passing day that Brassard contract looks even better. I liked it when Sather got it done this summer, and I like it even more now. If he scores 20 goals and close to 60 points it is a steal (right now on pace for 23 and 68). He just turned 27 also, so he should be really entering his prime now.

10. kreidertime

I didn't like the deal when they made it. It was way too much money for a guy that never had 50 points. Right now it looks good but in hindsight, it was dumb. Paying a guy 5 million who never hit the 50 point mark is stupid. You basically need him to become that. Right now the fact he's gotten a lot of assists because Nash is a one man, wrecking crew. If Nash falls asleep next year and Brassard is back to 40 points, the deal will suck.

11. kreidertime

That deal is also going to make Stepan over 6 million with salary. Factor that in.

12. chuckd3534

Actually it was a great move. Sather saw what Brassard could potentially become...a 55/60 point guy. If he puts up 55 or so points +/- and 15/17 goals +/- that is a great contract. If he exceeds those #'s it is a steal.

Where you are off on Stepan is he was getting 6 mill per +/- regardless of what we signed Brass for. If he finishes the season the way he has started it, a point per game guy almost NOT playing with Nash, he was getting around 6 mill for sure. So Brassard's deal doesn't factor into that at all IMO.

13. chuckd3534

And BTW...besides being on pace for 71 points, Brassard is also on pace for 21 goals at the moment (I guess those are all Nash as well).

You are really out of control with your negative attitude dump. You do you, but just know it is way over the top bro.

14. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

...........and Happy Holidays to all.

15. Ranger71

All the piggybackers will reap the benefits of Nash. :)

16. chuckd3534

And one last comment on Brassard...we have him at only a 5 mill cap hit for FIVE years. As the cap goes up and player salaries for comparable players goes up, we have him locked up. Barring a fall off a cliff or an injury I have no doubt that contract will be great.

He plays this season at 27 (turned 27 in late September). So ages 27-31, his prime, playing seasons we have him locked up at 5 mill per. That looks like a great deal to me.

Stepan, who only turns 25 in June, will want a cap hit around 6 mill per +/- to sign a long term deal, and if he continues his play so far he deserves it.

17. chuckd3534

I know...even Stepan who doesn't play with Nash piggybacks off of him. And Brassard, who is on pace for 21 goals himself, piggybacks off him also.

We are a one man team. Sad stuff guys...LOL.

And one last comment on Nash, of course he helps the guys around him be better and makes things easier on them...that's sports. Great players make their teammates better. Happens all over sports. I won't hold that against Brass, who is also scoring goals of his own, or against Stepan, who isn't even on the same line as Nash but gets the 2nd D pair against him because of Nash. That's how sports work. Good for our guys for feeding off that and taking advantage of it.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  18. kreidertime

:lol: Only 5 million dollars.

19. Ranger71

6m for Stepan based on his ability level is a brinks heist for him. In 2016 they need to sign E.Staal or Kopitar who are better players for the money. Staal's salary will probably drop into the 6m range.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  20. chuckd3534

I say we get rid of Stepan and Brass. Keep Nash (wait should we keep him now guys or get rid of him since everyone wanted him gone last season?) and get rid of everyone else also. Oh boy...some fans impossible to please.