Our Best Frontcourt Combinations

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by rosenthall, Dec 20, 2014.

1. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

Just did some lineup crunching with our bigs. The results are interesting, but probably still just a tease right now.

However I think this will be an interesting stat to track as the season goes on.

Here are minutes played, ORtg, DRtg, and Net Rating for our different frontcourt combinations.

[​IMG]

I think these are the relevant takeaways:

Gasol-Noah is meddling and average at best.

I don't think it's a surprise that Gasol-Taj and Noah-Mirotic do very well. They create very good inside-out combinations that have those guys doing what they do best.

I'm amazed at how bad Noah-Gibson has been this year. It's hard to believe.

For comparisons sake, this is how the two have done for the last three years:

[​IMG]

They've always dominated, especially on defense.

Gibson's only gotten better, so maybe this confirms the eyeball test that Noah's lost a step this year.

EDIT: Here's a link to the spreadsheet with all the info: Spreadsheet.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  2. rosenthall

Ya-huh.

Apparently I still can't get the images to work like Denny does.

Does anyone know how to post images that are hosted on Google Drive?

3. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

I've been using photobucket. But I think you would still have to dump the images from Drive onto your desktop to load them on photobucket.

4. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    If you can view the image in a tab/window from Google drive, copy the URL into the image dialog in the editor or between IMG bbcode tags.

5. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    You'd think Noah/ Gasol playing high/low post on offense would work very well.

Another way to look at this is the younger the guys we put out there, the more athletic they are. In fact, Noah looks not as athletic as in the past so he might be mucking up the stats.

I'm thrilled with Gasol's performance.

6. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Sorry I can't help on the tech stuff, but I was able to view your stats by right-clicking the image icon and opening the pics in new tabs.

Shouldn't Gasol-Mirotic be -3.5 (rather than -4.5) and Mirotic-Noah be +10.5 (rather than +9.5) vs team average?

Anyway, the numbers confuse me some. According to basketball reference, the Bulls have a ORtg of 108.4 and a DRtg of 104.3. Noah has a ORtg of 110 and a DRtg of 101. This would seem to give him a +9 net, about 5 points better than the team's overall net. Yet by your breakdown, Noah-Gasol and Noah-Gibson are both negative pairings vs the team net with Noah-Mirotic being Noah's only positive pairing. How can this be?

7. rosenthall

Have you truly had success with this? I've tried 3 or 4 different things to post photos here and nothing works.

8. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    If you can view just the image in a browser window, you can copy that URL into the image pop up window.

If you copy the URL of a window that has a picture viewer in it, the result is a broken image.

If you use a shRing service like Google drive, the picture has to be public or you will be able to see it in a post but we can't.

9. rosenthall

I got the numbers from nba.com's 2-man matchup info. If you look up the same stuff for Joaquim on BBall reference the numbers mostly look the same: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/noahjo01/lineups/2015/

10. rosenthall

Have tried all this. The links to the images are all set to public, and I pop out the images and copy the URL's when they're in a new window.

Edit: I've also tried using DropBox (free version), and inserting iframes, which don't seem to work either.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  11. rosenthall

Pau occupies the low post, which pushes Jo out to the perimeter where he's not that effective and teams are free to help out on Pau. They get in each other's way.

Given his style of play and physical tools I think it's very possible Jo will have a hard time adapting to playing with less athleticism.

Me too. If we win a championship with him here it might go down as one of the best FA signing's of all time.

12. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    FWIW, I use a tool called glui for the mac. It's the equivalent of snipping tool on windows 7. I just select a rectangle of the screen and it takes a snapshot image of that. From there, I can upload the image to my dropbox public images directory with the click of a button. It copies the URL of the image into my clipboard so all I have to do is paste into the image popup.

[​IMG]

13. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
  14. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    One more bit of help:
    [​IMG]

That's the image when I right click and open in new window. Copy/paste the address from the address bar (pointed to by red arrow)

15. rosenthall

Denny, got it.

I guess the trick is right-click "open image in new tab" and then right-clicking again and opening that in a new window which is then just a regular image without all the other stuff attached. Original post is corrected. Thanks for the help.

16. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Could it be the fact that both Gibson and Noah have not been 100% the reason why both together are not as good?

17. rosenthall

Statistically Gibson is as good as ever. I don't think he's the problem, and he's doing just fine when paired with Gasol and Mirotic.

I haven't looked very closely at the rest of the lineup when Noah/Gibson are on the floor, but they've played with some really stinky defenders the last three years and didn't have all-star Jimmy until now so I don't think that should be a huge issue.

18. kukoc4ever

kukoc4ever Let's win a ring! Staff Member Moderator

Interesting!

My main takeaways are that inside-out is a good thing and that having two average to bad defenders out there at the same time is a bad thing.

I don't much like seeing Noah and Gasol out there at the same time. Problem is, Noah was 1st team all-NBA center last year and Gasol is playing like an all-star this year, so who to bench!??!?!

Mirotic! If one of the two rookies was a key contributor by playoff time I was happy... and he's way ahead of schedule.

19. rosenthall

I think this is accurate. Space is good, and two bad defenders in the frontcourt is a lot to overcome. It's much harder to hide bad defenders in the frontcourt than in the backcourt.

I think fans underestimate the role politics has in making lineup changes. Even a hard ass like Thibs has shown that he won't roil the waters too much. Gasol is a 5-time all star who left at least 15 million on the table to play here. Do you tell him that he has to come off the bench because you want to develop a rookie? I don't think that would go over too well.