DAMN! a lot has changed in 50+ years.

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by Rick2583, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

2. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...I think prices have gone up pretty much in proportion with income, so IMO, it's all relative.

...but I also think that the generational reminiscing of "the good old days" has been going on for a very long time. I seem to recall my Grandparents talking about how much harder life was for them and how much luckier my parents were, not having to endure the "great depression". Like I said, it's common for each generation to compare themselves to the younger generation and scoff at them...and vice versa.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

...attributed to Socrates, 400 BC.

3. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

I pretty much agree with one exception, housing. In the 70s you could still get a home for under $40,000. 40 years later those same homes went for $400,000

4. yankeesince59

...depends on what part of the country you live in.

5. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    Incredible read 59. I love to read Socrates, read 'Plato's Republic' in High School. Who can ever forget one of the most brilliant minds on Earth.

Very uncanny, how Socrates words echo as clear for this generation, for being 2400 years old....effing amazing...!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  6. Mattingly23NY

I noticed this to the extremes over decades.

What one can buy for $200,000.- in the 90s in Caly, was a nice home, but a tract home, could been a 30 year old house too. The same year, I bought twice the home in Perry, GA. for 1/2 the price, and 3 acres too.

1 year later, bought another home in Lake Charles, the same $200 grand my home in Caly was selling for. Bought not only twice the house, got 10 acres of woods with it, enough land for 2 Horses, and 12 GSD's......! Plus I drew the floor plan out, the electrical and plumbing schematics. Basically created the Custom Built Home, and let others build it, while I watched........

7. totus44

totus44 Lord of the Dark Side

Exactly 59...its all relative and/or proportional. Now where things have gotten askew of growth tend to be in regions and areas where demand outpaces supply.

Zillow and some other real estate sites let you research history. Landwatch is a good site to research property costs.

8. yankeesince59

...yeah, I'm about 35 miles south of Perry and out in the middle of the country. We're about 10 miles from the nearest convenience store, which I suppose, actually makes it an "inconvenience store". But my brother in law's house which is about a 1/4 mile from us was built by himself and one of his brothers back in 1978 for about $20K. It's really a nice brick house that is maybe 2000 sq. ft. and because we're not in the city it has not appreciated as much as you might think since it was built 40 years ago. For property tax purposes, I think the county values his house at only about $60K today.

9. Mattingly23NY

1- Your area, is one of great scenic beauty. I've driven down that way a few times. How far would you be from (its kinda' hard to recall what Hwy's I went down to get to-)- that great Amish Diner. Damn that was some of the finest food available, somewhere down your way?

2- A Quick Wit you have....that one got me :rotfl:.....an inconvenient convenience store....! :lol:

3- A person just cannot beat that kind of set up, the house itself, the taxes or lack thereof, and more importantly, the Privacy, NTM- the Wildlife too. On top of that, your not too far from Macon, to enjoy the Cherry Festival, or Pig Jig....!

BBQ IMO, is 2nd to none in Mid Ga. But then your the benefactor of as much.....! :smile:

10. yankeesince59

...^^^ "Amish Diner"?...I guess you're talking about the place in Montezuma maybe?...incredible food.

11. Mattingly23NY

YES, yes, thank you, you indeed nailed the town. Montezuma, how could I ever forget? I bet you've ate their a few times if but once.....

Hwy 26 to Hwy 49???? Man, I loved that place, as much almost as the Pig Jig.....!!! :smile: It's a warm fuzzy to simply even think of the Little Amish Diner, a slice of Heaven, with great food, and plenty of it....!