O/T...RIP

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by yankeesince59, Dec 22, 2014.

1. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

2. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

R.I.P. MIGHTY Joe.

Thanks 59.....for sharing.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  3. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    Thanks 59. I've been driving the truck from 8am til 2 pm, and heard Joe Cocker's tunes on almost every radio station. I never heard one spoken word tho' on Joe's passing. I couldn't help but wonder #1 why was Cocker on every station, and #2, I thought, Joe's gotta' be getting up there in age....!

Little did I know.....until I read this post, why..........!

I'm glad Joe won his Grammy with Jennifer Warnes, great Soundtrack Song to one of the more memorable Movie's, Kim and I saw together; in our own early years. (An Officer and A Gentleman).....

Just to think Joe's 1st ever single #1 Hit: "A Little Help From My Friends", was when he was but a young 24 years old....! Aye to a true Gentleman, amongst Mad Dogs and Englishmen...

4. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

A talent that will be missed

5. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

Joe Cocker's "You are so beautiful" have been covered by several artists with better voices just as Armstrong's "What a wonderful world", but Armstrong like Cocker made those songs there own. And you just couldn't imagine anyone doing them better.

R.I.P. Joe.

6. Mattingly23NY

Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" IS a Classic, to say the least....!

7. blgridesagain

blgridesagain team player

Dear Landlord & Hitchcock Railway were two of my favs from Cocker.

8. Hammerojustice

Hammerojustice Chief Caveman, Keeper of Thor's Hammer

He'll be missed indeed!!!

9. totus44

totus44 Lord of the Dark Side

70.....too young.

10. Mattingly23NY

Yep, too darn young, but then alot of people never make it past 70. In that case there are a few people here, who may be living out their last decade on this Planet. Seize the Day, Let Compassion be your moral compass thru this life. And don't squander a moment ever...........!!!

11. Yankeefan5545

Yankeefan5545 Well-Known Member

Retired
    I had a friend in Orlando back in the late 90's Early oughts who memorized and performed Armstrongs entire available karaoke catalog of the times. If imitation is the most sincere form of flattery he ranked among the very best of Armstrong fans. Two amazing features about this guy was that he was in his late sixties and white. If you closed your eyes while he sang Wonderful World, Kiss To Build A Dream On, Cabaret or any Armstrong choices you'd have thought that Satchmo was in the room. Normally I don't care for imitators but to see that man do Satchmo was really great. On Cocker I appreciated his vocal ability and will state that "Up Where We Belong" with Jennifer Warnes was my favorite performance.

12. Rick2583

Some of the best voices have performed Armstrong's classic "What a wonderful world" Like Tony Bennett & the amazing Jerry Vale but the best version was ALWAYS the one by Satchmo.

13. Yankeefan5545

Retired
    As I stated, my man in Orlando could match Satchmo note for note and any song he chose, the man won quite a few contests when he did "Wonderful World" or Kiss To build a dream on and got standing O's as well. Another one of his tricks was to perform Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis imitations when doing "Everybody Loves Somebody" he was also good when singing in his own voice. The man had some ability.

14. Mattingly23NY

You've had some great fortunate experiences in Music and Baseball YF5545....

15. Rick2583

Rob meet Michael (YF5545), Michael meet Rob.

16. Yankeefan5545

Retired
    Grew up as a Navy Dependent, served twenty three in the Army, lived in many places in the US with 12 years overseas duty. I was 43 years old when I picked up a guitar for the first time have been able to sing all of my life. Have had the good fortune to be able to go into a recording studio sing and play along with the good fortune to have had some great players and backup singers to work with. I may have never had commercial success but I did some nice material and that cannot be taken from me. Also hosted some great Karaoke Events in Kissimme and Walt Disney World met some extremely talented people out there.

17. Mattingly23NY

Seriously Michael, Your Bio, would be worth reading. I recall you mentioning you also got to see some games in was it Forbes Field. I recall only watching some games in the 60s thru the 1970 Season wasn't it, before they moved into 3 Rivers Stadium....? What I would of gave to of seen Clemente in his home park. I did get to see Roberto tho' in Candlestick in 65, and again in 69. I have never seen as strong of an OF arm since, (NTM-accurate as a Sniper's Rifle)...

What are some of your favorite guitars, either that which you own, or would like to?

Seems like we chatted once here on Mossman Guitars. I got to take the tour of old Man Mossman's little backyard factory in 69, long before his boys began to help him do as much.

Hell, I like the sound of Ibanez, or Epiphones (honestly) every bit as much as a Gibson. Similar enough a sweet sound, at half the cost or less.....Tho' the Gibson Firebird, Les Paul, and SG are two of my fav electric guitars, (out of many of course)..... but I preferred pre-60s Epiphones, for less cost, and damn near as good of harmonics/sound (its all about those humbuckers, as you of all know).

18. Mattingly23NY

I saw John Denver at the Forum in 1975, and His Guild sounded sweet as anything, tho' Guitar Player Mag, had a ton of Musicians I think they paid off to bad mouth Guilds, being mostly Laminated Composites. But shit did his guitar ring and sing, as good as Ol John's vocals....!

Seems to me, the ES-335 Gibson was a ripoff of the Epiphone Electric Semi-Hollow, and didn't Gibson buy out Epiphone....? I do think tho' Acoustic wise: Gibson's Rosewood, Hummingbird....sound sweet as can be.....

Yet, like the Mossman's Rosewood masterpieces; compared to the Martin. Paul Reed Smith Guitars, (both Acoustic and Electric) blow my mind...the meticulous hand built masterpieces......

Yet one need not spend a big chunk of cash, to buy a sweet well built guitar these days. Not at all....some of the less costly Axes, IMO, are every bit as good in sound, as those 10 times their prices. Hell If cash were no problem, I'd not buy a PRS, or a Mossman, but probably would buy an Ibanez Acoustic, or a Epiphone Semi-Hollow Electric....:cheers:

19. Yankeefan5545

Retired
    Right now I have Ovations, a Black Celebrity, and a Cherry Balladeer 1861. Had a Gibson J-45 also a Washburn prior to the Ovations. Getting ready to purchase a new Fishman Loudbox Mini and a TC Helicon Vocal Harmonizer Pedal. My current practice amp is an Ibanez Troubador T-15 recently purchased and at the time of doing so I registered with American Music to win a PRS Electric Guitar and Amp combination. Sure would like to be the winner for that prize. Love the acoustic guitars for their rich sound and was glad to see specific acoustic guitar amps come into development. And you are right about price, a lot of modern guitars have better action than those of 30+ years ago and todays strings make a huge difference.