Raiders Interview Mike Martz

Discussion in 'AFC West' started by AdropOFvenom, Jan 27, 2006.

1. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Raiders meet with former Rams coach MartzBy Len PasquarelliESPN.comEven as Oakland officials bide their time, waiting for an opportunity to meet with Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt after Super Bowl XL, the Raiders added to their list of head coach candidates.Owner Al Davis and other Raiders officials spent much of Thursday interviewing former St. Louis Rams coach Mike Martz about the vacancy created by the Jan. 3 dismissal of Norv Turner following just two seasons and a 9-23 record. It is believed that Martz requested the session and that Davis, who loves to pick the brains of coaches around the league, was quick to arrange the interview.Martz became the fifth known candidate for the job. The Raiders previously interviewed former Kansas City offensive coordinator Al Saunders, former Tampa Bay defensive line coach Rod Marinelli, current San Diego wide receivers coach James Lofton and current Oakland quarterbacks coach John Shoop, who is still under contract.Marinelli was subsequently hired by the Detroit Lions last week as their new coach and Saunders joined the Washington Redskins staff as assistant head coach.There has been some speculation that the Raiders will also interview former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel, who currently is the Baltimore Ravens' offensive coordinator, but such a meeting has not yet taken place.Indications are that Davis will wait until after the Super Bowl on Feb. 5 to set up an interview with Whisenhunt, the Steelers' offensive coordinator the last two seasons, and an assistant whose stock is rising on the crest of a three-game playoff winning streak. Under league rules, the Raiders can have no contact with Whisenhunt, who seems to fit most of the qualifications Davis has historically sought, until after his season concludes.In the meantime, Martz, who presided over one of the NFL's most explosive offenses during his Rams tenure, is an intriguing entry into the Oakland search. Given the depth of the Raiders' wide receiver corps, which includes Randy Moss, one would think that Martz could spend days drawing up plays and formations on a draw-erase board.Martz, 54, compiled a 56-36 record with the Rams in six seasons (2000-2005), led the team to a pair of divisional titles and three playoff berths, and to a spot in Super Bowl XXXVI. He missed the final 11 games of the 2005 season while rehabilitating from a bout of endocarditis, an inflammation of a heart valve.He was cleared by doctors to return to work Jan. 1, was dismissed by the Rams just after the season, and reached a settlement on the $3.25 million that remained on the final year of his contract in St. Louis. Martz interviewed for one head coaching vacancy, in New Orleans, but that job went to Sean Payton instead.</div>http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2307915I have a feeling hes going to get the job. The Raiders always hire an offensive mind.

2. JHair

JHair NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Last I heard he was taking a year off, what's this all about? Raiders would be lucky to get him IMO.

3. david81

david81 BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JHair @ Jan 27 2006, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Last I heard he was taking a year off, what's this all about? Raiders would be lucky to get him IMO.</div>I think you heard, he wants to work this upcoming season but if it doesnt work out like that he doesnt care.But I hope he gets the job, he certainly fills all the requirements of what Al Davis wants in a HC.

4. JHair

Oh I gotcha. I hope he gets the job as well. I think he's a better coach than Norv, so really it would be an improvement for them.

5. Sham

Sham BBW Member

Martz would be kinda dumb to go to OAK since they suck really bad. On the other hand, he might be able to help them out.

6. Jenkz

Jenkz NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Martz is used to working with big time recievers (Holt,Bruce) so I think he can work wonders with Moss in Oakland.Hope he can get the job.

7. Ethan

Ethan NFLC nflcentral.net Member

He's my favorite choice for their next coaching job..

8. JHair

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DW20 @ Jan 28 2006, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Martz is used to working with big time recievers (Holt,Bruce) so I think he can work wonders with Moss in Oakland.</div>Don't forget Porter

9. cwebb4

cwebb4 BBW Member

I'm not very high on Martz getting the job. I would rather the Raiders get someone who hasn't been a head coach, is fairly young, and very hungry!

10. NFLCShowtime

NFLCShowtime NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Martz would be kinda dumb to go to OAK since they suck really bad. On the other hand, he might be able to help them out.</div>theres no good teams left to head coach..

11. Brooksie5

Brooksie5 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Martz would fit great in Oakland. He has Kerry COllins to work with for at least one more year (unless he starts to suck) and he could turn Tuiasosopo into a starting QB (which I already think he is) AND the Raiders have Andrew Walter who they are very high on, and Martz could turn him into a stud QB.

12. NFLCShowtime

NFLCShowtime NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>He has Kerry COllins to work with for at least one more year (unless he starts to suck)</div> if he starts?? hes sucked for the past 1 1/2 , 2 years [​IMG]

13. cwebb4

cwebb4 BBW Member

Kerry Collins won't be in Oakland next season. The Raiders have all but given up on Tui, it's time to put Walter in there.I still don't think Martz is the answer.

14. Brooksie5

Brooksie5 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I will gurantee you, if Martz comes here, whoever plays QB for the Raiders will have a successful season.

15. BoLTz21

BoLTz21 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I heard he might end up in Detroit?