Favre Seriously Considering Retirement

Discussion in 'NFC North' started by JHair, Jan 29, 2006.

1. JHair

JHair NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Favre, in an interview on ESPN, said he does not mentally feel like he wants to play anymore. He feels healthy enough to do it--says he has the same arm he's had his whole career and though he has been banged up a bit he feels fine now--but he just doesn't feel like he wants to take anymore snaps. He said he doesn't even know if he's up to the challenge of having the ball in his hands in crunch time with 2 minutes left.He said his daughter has 1 and a half years of high school left and he doesn't have much time left that he can spend with her, that's also a factor. He said he's gotten everything out of his career anyone would want, all the records he's got, the Super Bowl win.He isn't positive yet--he doesn't know what he's gonna do. But right now fellas, doesn't sound like he wants to be the starting Quarterback for the Green Bay Packers next year. He wants to be home, retired, with his family.

2. Peppersisafreak

Peppersisafreak NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JHair @ Jan 29 2006, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Favre, in an interview on ESPN, said he does not mentally feel like he wants to play anymore. He feels healthy enough to do it--says he has the same arm he's had his whole career and though he has been banged up a bit he feels fine now--but he just doesn't feel like he wants to take anymore snaps. He said he doesn't even know if he's up to the challenge of having the ball in his hands in crunch time with 2 minutes left.He said his daughter has 1 and a half years of high school left and he doesn't have much time left that he can spend with her, that's also a factor. He said he's gotten everything out of his career anyone would want, all the records he's got, the Super Bowl win.He isn't positive yet--he doesn't know what he's gonna do. But right now fellas, doesn't sound like he wants to be the starting Quarterback for the Green Bay Packers next year. He wants to be home, retired, with his family.</div>Well I say if he says He said he doesn't even know if he's up to the challenge of having the ball in his hands in crunch time with 2 minutes left. Then there is NO way he even DESERVES to be a Qb anymore in the NFL and when I say he does not deserve to be one anymore does not mean that I think he is not great because he is but if you have no desire for the game it is time to hang up the cleats.

3. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

Exactly....Happy Retirement Brett, please make the right decision. [​IMG]

4. The Marine

The Marine BBW Member

I don't want him to go, just like I didn't want John Elways to retire after his 2 Super Bowl victories. Gonna suck if the guy quits because I love watching his games. Hope he makes a decision to come back. I don't care how old he is, or how many interceptions he threw last season, I still want Brett to play. Well if this doesn't happen, then i cant wait until the guy makes it to the Hall of Fame.

5. Rex Grossman 8

Rex Grossman 8 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I hope Brett Favre stays. He's one of my favorite players. If he does retire,he had a hell of a career.

6. NFLCChosen One

NFLCChosen One NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<span style="font-family:Arial">Either way, he's a Hall of Famer, if he decides to have another go at it, or call it a career. I personally think he should just retire, he's had an amazing career. Although, I'd like to see him come back for just one more year, but it doesn't look like that will happen..</span>

7. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

Brett Favre doesn't know anything but football and giving up $10 million is a lot of money. He will be back.

8. Miester

Miester BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TroyPolamalu4MVP @ Jan 30 2006, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>$10 million is a lot of money</div>Thats the thing. Favre was never about the money. I really dont think that will play a factor in his decision at all.

9. NFLCChosen One

NFLCChosen One NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<span style="font-family:Arial">It will. Everyone says they play for the love of the game, and could care less about the money. They may play for the love of the game, but the money factor always plays a bigger part in their decision than they say it does.</span>

10. Peppersisafreak

Peppersisafreak NFLC nflcentral.net Member

You don't find many players in the NFL anymore that play for the love of the game but Farve does.

11. NFLCShowtime

NFLCShowtime NFLC nflcentral.net Member

brett has to stay 1 more year.. he cant end his career on a season like the last

12. DevinHester23

DevinHester23 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Brett Favre would like to wait until training camp to decide whether to retire or return to the Green Bay Packers for a 16th season.But the quarterback realizes this amount of time is likely not a luxury he will be afforded. "I wish I knew where I stood," Favre told Chris Mortensen in an interview that aired as ESPN's Sunday Conversation. "If I had to pick right now and make a decision, I would say I'm not coming back."In the interview at his home in Mississippi, Favre told Mortensen he would like more time to decide whether to return for another NFL season. But he understands the Packers need to know soon to properly prepare for the NFL draft and other offseason personnel matters."I'd like to wait till training camp," Favre said with a laugh. "But I know I have to make the decision in the next month for their sake."Favre said he's told Packers general manager Ted Thompson recently that if the team doesn't want to wait for him to commit to either playing the 2006 season or retiring, then he should be "cut loose.""I love the game too much and I love my legacy too much to have that just be OK," Favre said, "and I don't want to be just OK. I want to be good, and I don't know if I'm committed enough [right now]to be good on an everyday basis."Favre suggested to Mortensen it was not his physical shape that was complicating his decision, instead acknowledging a host of factors -- his daughter's upcoming high school graduation, off-field moves and whether at "crunch time, with two minutes left" in a game he would be able to say he wants the ball."It's a matter of how much I'm willing to give. I don't want to come back and three games into [the season] say, 'What am I doing?' "As he's said in the past, Favre maintains he's physically capable of continuing his career, but the intangibles will ultimately decide whether he returns. He has suggested that his $10 million salary in 2006 might diminish the team's interest in retaining him."I still know I can play, I still love to play, but there's still much more to it. I never thought I'd give out mentally before I gave out physically," he said.Favre has also hinted that the Packers' offseason moves would play a role in his decision and it isn't clear what impact the team's hiring of Mike McCarthy to succeed Mike Sherman as coach has had. McCarthy met with Favre on Friday and Thompson traveled to Favre's home earlier in the week to talk to him, but would not offer details of the conversation.Favre told Mortensen he has told Thompson he won't return for the money or records, saying, "It's not about me. ... I want to make the right decision for everyone involved.""When you sit down and tell a GM, 'I don't know if I can give you everything' -- and I have -- that's usually the first ticket out of town," Favre said Sunday. McCarthy had worked as a tutor to Favre while he was the Packers' quarterbacks coach in 1999. However, Favre's agent, James Cook, suggested his client might have been more likely to return to the team in 2006 if Green Bay had hired Steve Mariucci, a former Packers assistant who was later the head coach in San Francisco (1997-2002) and Detroit (2003-05).Green Bay is coming off a 4-12 season, Favre's worst as a Packer, after winning its season finale 23-17 over Seattle.Favre, who finished with a career-worst 29 interceptions, said the Packers' final game had been on his mind long before he took the field, relating a talk he had with his former coach, the Seahawks' Mike Holmgren, in the month preceding it."We had a good conversation in late November or early December and I told him, 'It might be my last game and that I was so thankful you'll be there for it.' He said, 'If it is, I'll be glad I was there for it, too.'""The game meant nothing," Favre said, "but in a lot of ways it meant a lot."</div>http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2311729

13. JHair

Basically he said he wakes up some mornings and says, god I'm too old for this. But other mornings he wakes up and doesn't know what he's gonna do all day when his kids are in school.I think he will be back next year. He just came off the worst season the Packers have ever had since he first got there. Not a good way to end it there.

14. Sham

Sham BBW Member

After what's happened this season, I think he would be better of retiring.

15. Frosty M

Frosty M NFLC nflcentral.net Member

i think he should just retire before he hurst himself

16. JHair

Nothing could go worse for him than this season did.

17. ortiz34

ortiz34 BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JHair @ Jan 30 2006, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Nothing could go worse for him than this season did.</div>Exactly, with a healthy team this year, they can do well......might even squeeze into the playoffs.

18. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Thats the thing. Favre was never about the money. I really dont think that will play a factor in his decision at all.</div> If Favre was never about the money, why did he sign a $100 million dollar contract? [​IMG]

19. packersrock

packersrock NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Why i think Favre will retire:Favre loves attention so hes gonna want to come back.Also why would he want to end his career like this! I hope he comes back.