Bucs Re-sign Hovan

Discussion in 'NFC South' started by Uptown, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Uptown

Uptown NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Having spent the 2005 season resurrecting his career, Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive tackle Chris Hovan can now spend some of his new earnings pumping up his checking account.The six-year veteran, who signed with the Bucs for the minimum base salary of $540,000 in 2005 and who easily outplayed his contract, has agreed to a five-year extension worth $17.5 million. The deal, which cannot be officially signed until after the start of the new league year, will keep Hovan off the unrestricted free-agent market.The deal culminates quite a career reversal for Hovan, a former first-round pick of the Minnesota Vikings who was rescued by the Bucs from the NFL scrap heap last spring. In a terrific comeback season, Hovan started all 16 games at nose tackle, led all Tampa Bay defensive linemen with 64 tackles and anchored the interior of a unit that statistically ranked No. 1 in the league.Hovan, 27, was especially effective against the run, and the Bucs were No. 6 in that category. Tampa Bay officials had said toward the end of the year that retaining Hovan was an offseason priority.The 25th overall selection in the 2000 draft, Hovan was an immediate starter for the Vikings and played at a high level for the first three seasons of his career. But his production slipped, he fell out of favor with the Minnesota coaching staff his final two years with the club and his playing time was reduced. After netting 11? sacks combined in 2001-02, Hovan totaled just 3? the following two seasons.Minnesota made no attempt to re-sign him as a free agent last year.In his first season with the Bucs, however, Hovan made a big difference in the performance of the Tampa Bay defensive front. Several defensive teammates, including end Simeon Rice and linebacker Derrick Brooks, cited Hovan's presence as a factor in the improved performance of the front seven.A former Boston College standout, Hovan has played in 93 games and started 86 of them. He has 307 tackles, 17 sacks, two forced fumbles and six recoveries.</div>http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2356629

2. NFLCMS2

NFLCMS2 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Hes has been a good player for them after he left the Vikings i predict he will make the Pro-Bowl next season now that he;s found a home for a while

3. NFLCCombs

NFLCCombs NFLC Root *****

I'm a big Hovan fan, was glad to see him have a solid year last year. Seems like he got a decent contract, which would turn out as a bargain for the Bucs. Hes still got a 5 good years in him if they keep him that long,

4. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

Yeah, I like Hovan too...personally I think Minnesota was stupid for getting rid of him, but hindsight is 20/20 i guess.

5. Sham

Sham BBW Member

The Bucs are going 2 need every defensive power which will help them in the playoffs if they make it next year