Josh McCown signs with Lions

Discussion in 'NFC North' started by JHair, Mar 16, 2006.

1. JHair

JHair NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Lions | McCown signed to two-year contractThu, 16 Mar 2006 09:37:51 -0800Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Detroit Lions have signed free agent QB Josh McCown (Cardinals) to a two-year contract worth $6 million. The deal will pay him $4 million in 2006 between his signing bonus and base salary.</div>http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

2. The Marine

The Marine BBW Member

lol Damn, maybe make Josh McCown start, i like the guy in Zona' so maybe he can get something going

3. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Lions | Team will have competition for starting quarterback roleThu, 16 Mar 2006 09:38:37 -0800Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports Detroit Lions QB Jon Kitna will compete with QB Josh McCown for the starting quarterback role. Lions | Harrington likely releasedThu, 16 Mar 2006 09:38:14 -0800Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports Detroit Lions QB Joey Harrington will likely get released from the team. Harrington is due a $4 million roster bonus on June 15 and is scheduled to have a base salary of $4.5 million for the 2006 season. His release would save the team approximately $5.4 million in salary cap space. Lions | McCown signed to two-year contractThu, 16 Mar 2006 09:37:51 -0800Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Detroit Lions have signed free agent QB Josh McCown (Cardinals) to a two-year contract worth $6 million. The deal will pay him $4 million in 2006 between his signing bonus and base salary.</div>

4. NFLCCombs

NFLCCombs NFLC Root *****

Doesn't matter who starts really, I will be happy with either or. Kinda hoping for McCown to beat Kitna out for the starting job, but if he doesn't I think Kitna will do a nice job.We went from having the worst QB situations in the league..to having a very good one. I am very happy, offensive side of the ball is now complete..go get some Defense now Millen!

5. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Combs @ Mar 16 2006, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Doesn't matter who starts really, I will be happy with either or. Kinda hoping for McCown to beat Kitna out for the starting job, but if he doesn't I think Kitna will do a nice job.We went from having the worst QB situations in the league..to having a very good one. I am very happy, offensive side of the ball is now complete..go get some Defense now Millen!</div>I dont know about that one.....Does it not worry you that neither the Bengals or the Cardinals did anything to try and keep these players. To me it seems like you signed 2 backup QB's to try and compete for a starting job when in reality you should be looking for a real franchise QB. Just my opinion though.

6. JHair

JHair NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I donno if Kitna could be the franchise-guy cuz of his age but McCown could be kind of like a "Jake Plummer Story" for the Lions, I donno if that's a good thing but he is young and has shown that he has potential--give the kid a chance and he might be able to do some good things for them.

7. NFLCCombs

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AdropOFvenom @ Mar 16 2006, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Combs @ Mar 16 2006, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Doesn't matter who starts really, I will be happy with either or. Kinda hoping for McCown to beat Kitna out for the starting job, but if he doesn't I think Kitna will do a nice job.We went from having the worst QB situations in the league..to having a very good one. I am very happy, offensive side of the ball is now complete..go get some Defense now Millen!</div>I dont know about that one.....Does it not worry you that neither the Bengals or the Cardinals did anything to try and keep these players. To me it seems like you signed 2 backup QB's to try and compete for a starting job when in reality you should be looking for a real franchise QB. Just my opinion though.</div>The big thing is, it can't get any worse then it already was. I look at it as we got 2 guys who are capable of starting, and one of them who is a vet and knows his way around, and one who still has a lot to learn but can already play.The franchise QB's that were available had just as many question marks as the guys we signed, and for the money and the amount of players we need..I say we did the right thing...easyThe Lions gaied an extra 3-4 wins just on upgrading the QB spot.Other Former Backups - Jake Delhomme(88.1), Trent Green (90.1), Matt Hasselbeck(98.2)

8. NFLCMS2

NFLCMS2 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I think he will beat Kitna for the starting job. I liked him in Arizona, he was pretty decent.

9. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Combs @ Mar 16 2006, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AdropOFvenom @ Mar 16 2006, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Combs @ Mar 16 2006, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Doesn't matter who starts really, I will be happy with either or. Kinda hoping for McCown to beat Kitna out for the starting job, but if he doesn't I think Kitna will do a nice job.We went from having the worst QB situations in the league..to having a very good one. I am very happy, offensive side of the ball is now complete..go get some Defense now Millen!</div>I dont know about that one.....Does it not worry you that neither the Bengals or the Cardinals did anything to try and keep these players. To me it seems like you signed 2 backup QB's to try and compete for a starting job when in reality you should be looking for a real franchise QB. Just my opinion though.</div>The big thing is, it can't get any worse then it already was. I look at it as we got 2 guys who are capable of starting, and one of them who is a vet and knows his way around, and one who still has a lot to learn but can already play.The franchise QB's that were available had just as many question marks as the guys we signed, and for the money and the amount of players we need..I say we did the right thing...easyThe Lions gaied an extra 3-4 wins just on upgrading the QB spot.Other Former Backups - Jake Delhomme(88.1), Trent Green (90.1), Matt Hasselbeck(98.2)</div>Very true...that some backups have success when they finally get their chance, but for every Matt Hasselbeck theres an A.J. Feeley. [​IMG]

10. NFLCCombs

I guess so, but both McCown and Kitna have proved they cold play effectively where the others couldnt.Also, people are talking so much about them just being backups. The guys they were backing up were Carson Palmer and Kurt Warner. A former MVP tat threw for 300+ yards like every game. And the other one was arguably the best qb in the league last year..with Manning being the only argument.

11. ThaFranchize

ThaFranchize BBW Member

McCown was pretty good in Arizona. He also gets all the WRs the Lions seem to always get. I think he'll be the starter.

12. JD in Grand Rapids

JD in Grand Rapids NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Wow, does this sound like a typical Detroit Lions QB discussion or what? We have Four SO-SO Qb's and one that none of us have any freaking clue about! Joey Harrington - 10,242 yds. 60TD's, 62 INT's, HORRENDUS W/L record. Does anything need to be said?Jon Kitna - Never had a passer rating over 87.5/ In Five seasons as a Starter he has never thrown less than 15 INT's in a season with a high of 22/ In NINE NFL seasons he has only completed 1 injury free!/ He's not particularly tall, not a particularly good runner, and doesn't have a particularly good arm either...Shaun King - Career Passing Numbers: 415/738 (56.2%) for 4,566yds/27 TD's/24 INT's. He only has one year of Starting expierience. I don't think I have EVER heard anyone say they were impressed with Shaun King.Josh McCown - Out of all of them, McCown is one of two I would even consider for the starting role. He is still young, He has good size, and he has decent tools. But the guy has absolutely no head. I remeber seeing him in Arizona, the guy is an interception machine. One of the Lions vices every dang year is we get ponded in the turnover battle. But with all of this action to find a leader under center, the Lions are shooting themselves in the foot once agaqin if they don't provide a line for whoever it's gonna be. That's where these free agent dollars ought to be going. But I'm off subject. With no line, you ARE going to see a Brett Favre-esque season out of Josh McCown. I do have to give you some numbers, just for comparisons sake: 5 Seasons- 5431yds. 25 TD's 29 INT's Dan Orlovsky - The kid has thrown 17 NFL passes and completed 7 of them for 63 yds. One pass for 20+. Who knows what he can do? I would give him first crack, he has been patient when he must have been thinking Jesus! Ican do better than that! He is definitely young, big, strong-armed, completely impressionable. This guy could be Marino for all we know!All in all our QB situation is still very weak at best and without a solid O-Line to make up for an average QB, were gonna be looking at another dismal Lions team next year...period. Let's all pray I'm wrong.