Melky Cabrera Leads Yanks

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ST34LTH, May 25, 2006.

1. ST34LTH

ST34LTH NFLC nflcentral.net Member

This kid is gettin' good, and he is only 21...<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Cabrera's big night leads Yanks to win05/25/2006 1:25 AM ETBy Mark Feinsand / MLB.comBOSTON -- When Joe Torre decided to rest Johnny Damon and insert Melky Cabrera into the leadoff spot on Wednesday night, the Yankees manager had no idea what to expect from the 21-year-old outfielder.Cabrera responded with his finest night as a Major Leaguer, driving in four runs in the Yankees' 8-6 win over the Red Sox."I didn't really know, batting him leadoff, emotionally what it was going to do to him," Torre said. "He looked very comfortable there. He's playing at a level he's capable of playing at."The Yankees' offense posted a pair of four-run innings against Matt Clement, giving the still-struggling Randy Johnson a lift after the Big Unit allowed five runs in five innings.After dropping the series opener on Monday, the Yankees took the last two games, pulling within a half-game of first place in the American League East."Any time you come in here, you know it's not going to be by the book," Torre said. "The only thing to expect here is the unexpected. We never backed off."Johnson, who hadn't won since May 4, allowed five runs on nine hits and four walks, striking out eight. The win was the first for the Yankees in Johnson's last four starts."It's funny to say this, but what I'm going through, you take anything for a positive," Johnson said. "The last three innings were positive and it's frustrating that I threw so many pitches in a short period of time and put our bullpen in a bind like that, but the bullpen came through."Manny Ramirez continued to abuse Yankees pitching, going 3-for-4 with a pair of home runs and three RBIs. Ramirez finished the series 8-for-12 with four homers and 10 RBIs.Five Yankees relievers held Boston to one run over the final four frames. Kyle Farnsworth struck out David Ortiz with the bases loaded to end the eighth, while Mariano Rivera retired the middle of the order, including Ramirez, in the ninth for his 10th save."Both he and Manny are so imposing," Torre said of Ortiz. "Farnsworth kept it together and made a [heck]of a pitch to strike him out."Ramirez, who sparked some controversy on Tuesday after admiring his home run against Scott Proctor, gave the Red Sox a 2-0 lead in the first with his 10th homer of the season, a two-run blast over the Green Monster.Ramirez threw his bat, put his head down and started running, not breaking stride until he crossed home plate.The Yankees answered in the second against Clement, scoring four runs on three hits, two walks and a hit batsman, all coming with two outs. Cabrera, batting leadoff for the first time in his career, had the big hit of the inning, singling in two runs."I was surprised when I saw my name in the leadoff spot," Cabrera said, with teammate Miguel Cairo serving as a translator. "I feel more confident because I'm playing more. I feel comfortable."Johnson didn't take long to give the lead back, as Kevin Youkilis blasted a two-run homer, sending a 3-2 slider into the Monster seats. That at-bat seemed to be the one that irked Johnson the most."I can't pinpoint one thing expect for making a bad pitch to Youkilis," Johnson said. "I had two outs and I had him 0-2 and he worked the count full, which is good on his part, and then I gave up a home run. The Manny home run, I made a bad pitch and that's what's going to happen."Ramirez opened the third with a leadoff double, then Jason Varitek singled to right. Third base coach DeMarlo Hale put up the stop sign for Ramirez, who ran right through it, scoring to give the Sox a 5-4 lead.Johnson threw his first scoreless inning in the fourth, retiring the top of the lineup in order. The Yankees rewarded him with a four-run outburst in the fifth, with Cabrera again providing a two-run single, as the Yankees took an 8-5 lead."It's awesome to see a young kid go out and play with that kind of poise," said Alex Rodriguez.Johnson left the game after five innings, turning things over to the bullpen. Wednesday marked the sixth straight start in which Johnson has allowed four or more runs, though his eight strikeouts tied a season high after he went eight starts in a row without punching out more than five."How much worse can it get?" Johnson said. "I'm not going to dwell on things. Everyone in that clubhouse knows that I'm trying, and I know I'm trying and eventually it's going to turn around because I'm pitching well at times, but I'm just not pitching as well from start to finish and that's what I'm searching for.""We know Randy is going to get better," Torre said. "We're certainly fortunate when he pitches five innings and gives up five runs and we win."Scott Erickson pitched a scoreless sixth, while Mike Myers started the seventh by striking out Ortiz.Proctor came in for a rematch with Ramirez, and for the second night in a row, Ramirez won, crushing the first pitch over the Monster for his second homer of the game. Again, Ramirez made sure not to showboat, running around the bases without incident.Proctor got the next two outs in the seventh, which impressed Torre."It's one run," Torre said. "What told me something about Proctor was the rest of the inning. The next two outs were the most important thing."Farnsworth loaded the bases in the eighth with a two-out walk to Mark Loretta, but Ortiz, who finished the series just 2-for-13, looked at an 86-mph slider for a called third strike."He lives for those situations and I live for those situations, too," Farnsworth said. "I just tried to stay aggressive like I was the whole inning and tried to make my pitches, and it worked."For Cabrera's big night to come at Fenway Park had to be twice as sweet, as it was here that he struggled so badly in his brief stint with the Bombers last summer."This time is a different opportunity," Cabrera said. "I'm feeling more comfortable, and doing it here is even better.""He doesn't seem to be overwhelmed being with all these big-league ballplayers," Damon said. "I like what I see. He's going to pay big dividends for us. I'm glad he was able to hit leadoff and drive in four runs for us. He's been a great find. He's been pretty awesome so far."</div>

2. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

He has been a good hitter for the Yankees and probably has made it so hell be there in Left Field all the way until Hideki Matsui gets back healthy, but the guy is a terrible fielder (Then again, so are the rest of the Yankees outfielders). Maybe a long term replacement for Sheffield when the Yankees finally toss him to the side.

3. Jon_Vilma

Jon_Vilma NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AdropOFvenom @ May 25 2006, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>He has been a good hitter for the Yankees and probably has made it so hell be there in Left Field all the way until Hideki Matsui gets back healthy, but the guy is a terrible fielder (Then again, so are the rest of the Yankees outfielders). Maybe a long term replacement for Sheffield when the Yankees finally toss him to the side.</div>*cough*MannyRamirez*cough*

4. Nebkreb

Nebkreb NFLC nflcentral.net Member

i feel bad for Bubba crosby, he was playing really well but got injured...tho maybe in a couple of years our OF will be Cabrera-Crosby-Matsui

5. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nebkreb @ May 25 2006, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>i feel bad for Bubba crosby, he was playing really well but got injured...tho maybe in a couple of years our OF will be Cabrera-Crosby-Matsui</div>Crosby's a good 4th outfielder, but not really starting worthy IMO. Not to mention where's Damon? lol

6. Jon_Vilma

Didn't the Evil Empire "sell it's souls" by "gutting" all the farm prospects a few years ago? Where did Melk, Wang, and Cano come from?!

7. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jon_Vilma @ May 25 2006, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Didn't the Evil Empire "sell it's souls" by "gutting" all the farm prospects a few years ago? Where did Melk, Wang, and Cano come from?!</div>You know, Good farm systems have more then 3 prospects. [​IMG] The fact that you've only had 3 or 4 decent players come from your farm system in the past 5 years is more of a testament to how bad it really is. Like for example, the Mets have Brian Bannister, Alay Solar, David Wright, Jose Reyes, Aaron Heilman, Pedro Feliciano, and a few lesser guys like Victor Diaz, Chris Woodward, and Heath Bell come through our farm system in the same amount of time. Not to mention we still have prospects like Lastings Milledge, Mike Pelfrey, and Philip Humber, who will be in the majors within the next 2 years, among others.

8. DevinHester23

DevinHester23 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Not to mention the Cubs farm system hasn't produced much aside from Ronny Cedeno and Sean Marshall this year

9. ST34LTH

ST34LTH NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nebkreb @ May 25 2006, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>i feel bad for Bubba crosby, he was playing really well but got injured...tho maybe in a couple of years our OF will be Cabrera-Crosby-Matsui</div>Damon? He isnt THAT old.And Cabrera has a good arm, he just isnt that great fielding the ball. I think he has improved a lil and I hope since he has the hitting down, he will work on his fielding.

10. Jon_Vilma

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AdropOFvenom @ May 25 2006, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jon_Vilma @ May 25 2006, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Didn't the Evil Empire "sell it's souls" by "gutting" all the farm prospects a few years ago? Where did Melk, Wang, and Cano come from?!</div>You know, Good farm systems have more then 3 prospects. [​IMG] The fact that you've only had 3 or 4 decent players come from your farm system in the past 5 years is more of a testament to how bad it really is. Like for example, the Mets have Brian Bannister, Alay Solar, David Wright, Jose Reyes, Aaron Heilman, Pedro Feliciano, and a few lesser guys like Victor Diaz, Chris Woodward, and Heath Bell come through our farm system in the same amount of time. Not to mention we still have prospects like Lastings Milledge, Mike Pelfrey, and Philip Humber, who will be in the majors within the next 2 years, among others.</div>Actually, my point wasn't the amount, it was that every time we need someone, we have someone. Sure we could have 14 rookies on our roster like the Marlins, but we don't need that many. But everytime we need a good rookie, look what we have in our back pocket. A good rookie. Need a 2B, Cano comes up and almost wins rookie of the year. Need depth at SP? Wang comes out and is a top 100 pitcher as a rookie. Now we need an OF and a bat? Here comes Melky to save the day.Sure, we could always use Nick Johnson and Brad Halsey (well, maybe not Halsey) but every time the Yankees need someone, they have someone. And don't forget that the Yankees have the 3rd most homegrown players on their roster (down from 2nd most last year since the Marlins decided to go nuclear).

11. Nebkreb

^^ i agree..i dont care if the other systems have 1223478923 prospects...if they arent playing. Whenever we need a young player to step up, he does...not to mention the fact that the Staten Island Yankees won the World Series in their minor league level....

12. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jon_Vilma @ May 26 2006, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>And don't forget that the Yankees have the 3rd most homegrown players on their roster (down from 2nd most last year since the Marlins decided to go nuclear).</div>I dont know if thats actually true or not, but even if it is that has got to be the most misleading stat in all of professional sports because the majority of your 'homegrown' players, or at least your good ones, have been playing for over a decade now in Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada, ect. I will admit that Torre/Cashman does seem to do a good job of either hitting dumb luck (Aaron Small), or keeping the right prospects (Melky Cabrera, Robinson Cano), but your farm system is far from being ideal and we both know it. Right now you do need a good quality starting pitcher and I dont see your farm system popping any out now. Not to mention you had to make moves like Raul Mondesi, Aaron Boone, ect because you didnt have someone in the farm system.And Nebkreb, the Staten Island Yankees are on A Ball team. The past few years the Yankees havent been trying to rebuild their farm system and all the top prospects the Yankees do have are in A Ball. It is still going to take a year or two before half of these guys are making an impact in AA or AAA, nevermind the majors.

13. chang

chang NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Chien-Mien Wang wasn't really a farm prospect. He pitched in Taiwan for Macoto Rattlers and did very well, hence he was signed to a pro contract, I believe.From what I saw this summer during my vacation, Macoto and other Taiwanese teams have some nice prospects that could enter the U.S. scene soon.In Taiwan, he's the national hero. There are 50,000 commercials with him.

14. Jon_Vilma

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AdropOFvenom @ May 26 2006, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jon_Vilma @ May 26 2006, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>And don't forget that the Yankees have the 3rd most homegrown players on their roster (down from 2nd most last year since the Marlins decided to go nuclear).</div>I dont know if thats actually true or not, but even if it is that has got to be the most misleading stat in all of professional sports because the majority of your 'homegrown' players, or at least your good ones, have been playing for over a decade now in Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada, ect. I will admit that Torre/Cashman does seem to do a good job of either hitting dumb luck (Aaron Small), or keeping the right prospects (Melky Cabrera, Robinson Cano), but your farm system is far from being ideal and we both know it. Right now you do need a good quality starting pitcher and I dont see your farm system popping any out now. Not to mention you had to make moves like Raul Mondesi, Aaron Boone, ect because you didnt have someone in the farm system.</div>It is true, only the Braves and Marlins have more. Also, the year the Bosox won the World Series they were dead last in the league in Home-Grown prospects on their roster. Making them pretty much the only team to have ever bought a Championship (if there is such a thing).The fact of the matter is, the Yankees don't need 50 good players in the farm. They get a few gems and hold onto them. You say it's a misleading stat because of guys like Jeter, Posada, Rivera, etc who have been on the Yankees forever, but that's not true. It's not misleading. The Yankees brought them into the big leagues and held onto them. Nothing wrong with that.Wang may not be any Felix Hernandez, but he is a very solid young prospect. You say we need starting pitchers... but if you weren't looking at this staff as The Yankees but instead as just another pro staff, you'd have plenty to say about how deep the rotation is with 7 guys who could start for all but maybe 4 or 5 other teams. So we don't have 3 number 1 pitchers on our staff, only 2. It's not up to the usual Yankees expectations, but it is a good staff.

15. Jon_Vilma

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chang @ May 26 2006, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Chien-Mien Wang wasn't really a farm prospect. He pitched in Taiwan for Macoto Rattlers and did very well, hence he was signed to a pro contract, I believe.From what I saw this summer during my vacation, Macoto and other Taiwanese teams have some nice prospects that could enter the U.S. scene soon.In Taiwan, he's the national hero. There are 50,000 commercials with him.</div>OK, if fair's fair, then... Felix Hernandez is just a guy bought from VenezuelaFrancisco Liriano is just a guy bought from the Dominican Republicetc.

16. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jon_Vilma @ May 26 2006, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Wang may not be any Felix Hernandez, but he is a very solid young prospect. You say we need starting pitchers... but if you weren't looking at this staff as The Yankees but instead as just another pro staff, you'd have plenty to say about how deep the rotation is with 7 guys who could start for all but maybe 4 or 5 other teams. So we don't have 3 number 1 pitchers on our staff, only 2. It's not up to the usual Yankees expectations, but it is a good staff.</div>The problem is that you have a number 1, and 6 #4-5's, and your fooling yourself if you think ANY of them are playing like anything other then a back end of the rotation type guy right now.Chien Ming Wang (4-2, 4.43 ERA)Jaret Wright (2-3, 4.18 ERA)Carl Pavano (Has Yet to Pitch, 4-6, 4.77 ERA last season)Randy Johnson (6-4, 5.89 ERA)Shawn Chacon (4-1, 5.21 ERA)Aaron Small (0-2, 8.59 ERA)Sounds more like a bunch of 'has-been/never-was' who get a shitload of run support. [​IMG]

17. Jon_Vilma

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AdropOFvenom @ May 26 2006, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jon_Vilma @ May 26 2006, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Wang may not be any Felix Hernandez, but he is a very solid young prospect. You say we need starting pitchers... but if you weren't looking at this staff as The Yankees but instead as just another pro staff, you'd have plenty to say about how deep the rotation is with 7 guys who could start for all but maybe 4 or 5 other teams. So we don't have 3 number 1 pitchers on our staff, only 2. It's not up to the usual Yankees expectations, but it is a good staff.</div>The problem is that you have a number 1, and 6 #4-5's, and your fooling yourself if you think ANY of them are playing like anything other then a back end of the rotation type guy right now.Chien Ming Wang (4-2, 4.43 ERA)Jaret Wright (2-3, 4.18 ERA)Carl Pavano (Has Yet to Pitch, 4-6, 4.77 ERA last season)Randy Johnson (6-4, 5.89 ERA)Shawn Chacon (4-1, 5.21 ERA)Aaron Small (0-2, 8.59 ERA)Sounds more like a bunch of 'has-been/never-was' who get a shitload of run support. [​IMG]</div>RJ is a number 1, regardless of his slow start.

18. Nebkreb

and Wang did spend a lot of time in our farm system in Columbus (Yankees AAA affiliate)...he wasnt signed directly out of Taiwan

19. Brooksie5

Brooksie5 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Someone (I think Vilma) earlier said the Yanks have the most homegrown players or something like that in the majors. That doesn't really prove anything. How many of them did they get before they played a year or so in the majors? How many did they draft and bring up through their minors? I'm not sure about the facts, but i'm pretty sure they traded for/signed most of their players, regardless of where they're from.

20. Jon_Vilma

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brooksie5 @ May 30 2006, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Someone (I think Vilma) earlier said the Yanks have the most homegrown players or something like that in the majors. That doesn't really prove anything. How many of them did they get before they played a year or so in the majors? How many did they draft and bring up through their minors? I'm not sure about the facts, but i'm pretty sure they traded for/signed most of their players, regardless of where they're from.</div>Not the most, but the 3rd most. And what does it matter if they only spent 1 year in our minor league program or 5 years? They still started with the Yanks.