Jeff Samardzija signs with Cubs

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AdropOFvenom, Jun 18, 2006.

1. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Samardzija agrees with Cubs, will play for Irish in fallESPN.com news servicesCHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs agreed to a contract Sunday with fifth-round draft pick Jeff Samardzija of Notre Dame, a star wide receiver for the Fighting Irish football team.Samardzija's deal is for five years and worth up to $7.25 million, a source close to Samardzija told ESPN's Joe Schad.Once the deal is approved by the commissioner's office, Samardzija will join the Boise Hawks, an advanced rookie club of the Northwest League.Samardzija will be able to play at Notre Dame this fall. His plan is to play professional baseball and football after graduating Notre Dame and he is a possible first round draft choice in the next NFL draft.The deal is backloaded and Samrdzija would have to continue to play baseball in order to approach the maximum value of the contract.The Valparaiso, Ind., native caught a record 15 touchdown passes last fall. He then went 8-2 with a 4.33 ERA in 15 starts for the baseball team.Joe Schad is ESPN's college football reporter. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.</div>http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2490178Maybe someone can clarify, does this mean that hes not going to be in the NFL? [​IMG]

2. JHair

JHair NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I was really looking forward to watching him play in the NFL so I hope something happens between now and the 2007 draft.

3. bobferg

bobferg NFLC nflcentral.net Member

bo jackson? Brian Jordan? Dion Sanders? there have been tons of football/baseball players. He has the will to do it, and he wants to do it, and he plays easy enough positions to do it. I thin khe will play both. I really hope he pitches really well this summer and scares some football teams off in the early part of first round so that he falls to the Colts and plays football for my favorite team and baseball for my favorite team.

4. jeefunk

jeefunk NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Two-sport players are few and far between, but if he can do it, more power to him. I think he has the skills to be a big time WR and think he should focus on that. However, I also think baseball is stupid so there goes my opinion [​IMG]

5. bobferg

He more then has the skills to throw the ball too. He was clocked at 99 in the 7th inning in the big east tourny. If he makes it to the major leagues he could start every 5th day on the baseball field and still have plenty of time to practice for football.

6. JHair

Can you REALLY be in the NFL and play in the Major Leagues at the same time?

7. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Johnny White Guy @ Jun 19 2006, 05:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Can you REALLY be in the NFL and play in the Major Leagues at the same time?</div>I doubt he will be allowed too....If I was the Cubs I would have had some writeing in the contact where he cant play in any other professional sports while under contract with them. Because what happens with the Cubs if Samardzija tears his ACL while playing in the NFL. [​IMG]

8. bobferg

oh well....... a torn ACL wouldnt be that bad for a pitcher. they would be back in like 6 months.

9. JHair

Did Deion Sanders ever get injured in the NFL when he was in the Majors, or vice versa?

10. bobferg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Johnny White Guy @ Jun 19 2006, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Did Deion Sanders ever get injured in the NFL when he was in the Majors, or vice versa?</div>meh prolly not. He wasn't the most phsycal player around. But I don't know for a fact becuase I hated the reds and the braves.

11. DevinHester23

DevinHester23 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

If the Bears drafted him, that would be awesome! I would think any NFL team should look at the way the Cubs staff handles their pitchers and realize that he's likely to fuck his shoulder, and should insert some language.

12. chang

chang NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Is 8-2 with a 4.33 ERA considered good in college?

13. Chaintime

Chaintime NFLC nflcentral.net Writing Team

I'm not a big fan of 2 sport college kids. But good for him.

14. UhOh315

UhOh315 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chang @ Jun 19 2006, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Is 8-2 with a 4.33 ERA considered good in college?</div>It's not really good in college (not great) but they use metal bats so you won't find too many low ERA's in the college level. Most college games end up with at least 5 runs by both teams, not too many pitching duels. He has all the tools to be a great P in the MLB and he could be a decent player in the NFL as well. I personally, think he is a better football prospect because baseball usually takes a while to actually make it to the majors regardless, while he could help an NFL team immediatley and have a starting job some where as a WR. Others would disagree though.

15. bobferg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chang @ Jun 19 2006, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Is 8-2 with a 4.33 ERA considered good in college?</div>8-2 is. 99 mph+ metal bats= homeruns. 8-2 is awesome. a 4 ERA is solid in college. most starters only work 4 or 5 innings a game anyways.

16. jeefunk

jeefunk NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chaintime @ Jun 19 2006, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Santonio Holmes - Steelers : 0 games / 0 games started / 0 catches / 0 yards / 0 touchdowns / 2 arrestsChad Jackson - Patriots : 0 games / 0 games started / 0 catches / 0 yards / 0 touchdowns</div>Just thought I'd make a little change [​IMG]

17. Brooksie5

Brooksie5 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I called it! W00t! You all owe me $20. :DHe won't be able to play MLB and NFL.1) Cubs shouldn't allow it considering they need all healthy starters they can get.2) I don't think there has ever been a NFL and MLB player when he was a pitcher in the MLB. I don't think it'd work either considering he needs to rest his arm so much, that could effect his catching.

18. JHair

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Scouts will take hard look at SamardzijaInsiderPasquarelliBy Len PasquarelliESPN.comArchiveDoes he want to be a pitcher or a (pass) catcher? That's a question Jeff Samardzija is going to hear a lot over the next year or so, and how he answers it might play a role in determining just how interested NFL teams will be in using a first-round draft choice on the standout Notre Dame wide receiver next spring.The fact Samardzija signed a baseball contract with the Chicago Cubs this week won't change the manner in which NFL talent scouts assess the wide receiver as a football prospect during his upcoming season with the Irish. What it will affect, however, is the way scouts approach interviews with Samardzija after the season, and the line of questioning they use with him at events such as the Senior Bowl and the combine.And it could affect, even if he is chosen in the first round, Samardzija's NFL contract negotiations as well.</div>http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/col...MP%3dILC-INHEADIf someone has Insider at ESPN please post the rest of this article.