Vince Young: To Bust, or not to bust?

Discussion in 'AFC South' started by AdropOFvenom, Aug 30, 2006.

1. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>http://sportsline.com/nfl/story/9626003/1Vince Young: Great college QB, lousy pro prospectAug. 29, 2006By Gregg DoyelVince Young won't make it as an NFL quarterback -- at least, not as a star NFL quarterback. And in time that is how he will be judged.Was Young worth the No. 3 overall pick of the 2006 draft? Was he a star quarterback?And the answer will be: of course not.Unless it's a weak year for prospects, the No. 3 overall pick in any NFL Draft should end up somewhere between the Pro Bowl and the Hall of Fame. If this was a weak year, so be it. Time will tell on the 2006 draft class, just as it will tell on Vince Young. And what it tells on Young, and on the team that picked him, won't be nice.The Titans got suckered. Suckered by Young's incredible body and athletic ability and highlight reel at Texas. They got suckered so badly, they looked past Young's painfully obvious deficiency: He can't throw the ball downfield.This being the Titans, you can't be surprised. This is the same team that got suckered by the body, athletic ability and highlight reel of West Virginia cornerback "Pacman" Jones. Despite his obvious character issues, the Titans took Jones with the No. 6 overall pick in the 2005 draft. Jones has been a good player, but he's not going to last in the NFL. A bad character is a bad character, as Jones has consistently shown after 15 months with the Titans.Hey, it's not Jones' fault. He is what he is. You don't blame the horse for pooping in the kitchen. You blame the idiot who took the horse inside the house.So it is with Vince Young. It's not his fault he went No. 3 overall in the 2006 draft. Blame the Titans, but don't blame Young when his career falls far short of his draft placement. Young has worked hard and stayed out of trouble, and will continue to do so. He's a high-character leader but not, sad to say, a high-caliber NFL quarterback.Don't tell me about the 2006 Rose Bowl. Don't tell me what Young did to Southern California. I watched him roll up 467 yards of offense against the Trojans, but what does that have to do with the NFL? If college football had anything to do with the NFL, 1996 Heisman winner and national champion Danny Wuerffel of Florida would be 30,000 yards into his Hall of Fame career instead of doing ... whatever it is he's doing.Young did to Southern Cal what he did to everyone in college. He ran past slower defenders, ran over smaller defenders and, when he had to, he threw the ball. But he didn't throw the ball like an NFL quarterback. He threw the ball short -- here or there.Benefited by his supernatural running ability, Young had an open field and gifted receivers working one-on-one against a defense that couldn't afford to give Young's arm as much attention as it gave his legs. Sometimes his receivers took those short passes and turned them into big gains. That's how he threw for 267 yards while running for 200.What's strange, and what gives me pause, is that the Titans have one of the best offensive minds in football in coordinator Norm Chow. He's the reason BYU was the most explosive team in college football for years. He's the reason North Carolina State was once so promising. He's not the reason USC became the new Miami, but he's on the short list. Chow is for real. He knows offense like "Pacman" Jones knows trouble.And Chow helped draft Young? That troubles me. Then again ...Multiple reports have declared that Chow and Titans coach Jeff Fisher preferred USC's Matt Leinart over Young. The guy who wanted Young, Titans GM Floyd Reese, is the same knucklehead who picked Jones in 2005.So I feel better.Chow and Fisher probably feel better, too, now that they've acquired veteran mediocrity in Collins. Reports out of Nashville say the Collins signing was a reaction to starter Billy Volek's general inexperience and specific so-so exhibition showings. The Associated Press story went so far as to note that, "The only quarterback not affected by (Collins') signing is Young."Right.Look, the Titans signed Collins for a number of reasons. Volek is one. Young is another. Young has been the Titans' backup, but by now Fisher and Chow realize Young can't play if Volek gets hurt. If Collins doesn't beat out Volek, he will be the new backup, regardless of what the depth chart says. Now do you see how this affects Vince Young?This sort of thing happens in all sports. Great college players from great programs are routinely unable to make the adjustment to professional ball. Record-setting slugger Jeff Ledbetter of Florida State couldn't hit with a wooden bat. National Player of the Year Ed O'Bannon of UCLA wasn't skilled enough for the NBA. And now comes Vince Young of Texas, who can't throw the ball downfield well enough to star in the NFL.Argue this all you want, but I haven't felt this strongly about a quarterback since 1998, when the top two choices in the draft were Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf.I liked Leaf.</div>He does make a pretty solid case, but he missed a few points also.- 3/4 Delivery, could lead to batted balls.- Vince Young ran a 4.5, Michael Vick ran a 4.2- Vince Young played in a one read shotgun offense in Texas.- Great offensive line.- Big 12 isnt exactly a defensive conference.- Poor Wonderlic score.

2. chang

chang NFLC nflcentral.net Member

If he was wrong about Leaf, maybe he's wrong about Vince Young. Deja vu?lolCutler will be the best QB out of the class.

3. The Marine

The Marine BBW Member

You cant really say until 2008 just like people are saying they gotta see Alex Smith play this season since he was only a rookie. That's the same case with V.Y. IMO, he's gonna have a good career in Tennessee because he's in a really good situation and the team is improving gradualttly.

4. jeefunk

jeefunk NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Argue this all you want, but I haven't felt this strongly about a quarterback since 1998, when the top two choices in the draft were Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf.I liked Leaf.</div>That's all you need to know about this clown.

5. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jeefunk @ Aug 31 2006, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Argue this all you want, but I haven't felt this strongly about a quarterback since 1998, when the top two choices in the draft were Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf.I liked Leaf.</div>That's all you need to know about this clown.</div>I think that was supposed to be a joke. :whistling:Not to mention a good 50% of America thought Ryan Leaf was better then Peyton Manning, if not more....

6. jeefunk

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AdropOFvenom @ Aug 31 2006, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I think that was supposed to be a joke. :whistling:Not to mention a good 50% of America thought Ryan Leaf was better then Peyton Manning, if not more....</div>I'm aware, but I don't recall "a good 50%" thinking Ryan Leaf was better. I seem to recall most people, myself included, calling the Chargers stupid for passing on the guy that should've won the Heisman (I hate Peyton Manning btw).lol, you were prolly like 8 years old at the time anyway...how would you know?

7. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jeefunk @ Aug 31 2006, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AdropOFvenom @ Aug 31 2006, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I think that was supposed to be a joke. :whistling:Not to mention a good 50% of America thought Ryan Leaf was better then Peyton Manning, if not more....</div>I'm aware, but I don't recall "a good 50%" thinking Ryan Leaf was better. I seem to recall most people, myself included, calling the Chargers stupid for passing on the guy that should've won the Heisman (I hate Peyton Manning btw).lol, you were prolly like 8 years old at the time anyway...how would you know?</div>1) The Chargers didnt pass on anybody. The Indianapolis Colts picked first overall and took Peyton Manning, the Chargers got 'stuck' with Ryan Leaf. 2) As I remember it, alot of people were ripping the Indianapolis Colts for passing up on Ryan Leaf, not the other way around. 3) You only got a few years on me buddy. lol

8. vincefan10

vincefan10 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Vicne Young is destined to be great. He has the size and ability. He started an excellent drive today, but it was short lived. An interception, such as the one thrown by him, is a common mistake made by many rookie quarterbacks. I don't believe Fisher should have kept him out for the rest of the game. Vince is much, MUCH better than Volek and/or Collins and I wish to never see Collins or Volek again. Volek has no velocity whatsoever on his passes and Collins is just horrible. He is a has-been. His time is complete. Volek's time shall never come, but I would rather see him in there than Collins.

9. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vincefan10 @ Sep 10 2006, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Vicne Young is destined to be great. He has the size and ability. He started an excellent drive today, but it was short lived. An interception, such as the one thrown by him, is a common mistake made by many rookie quarterbacks. I don't believe Fisher should have kept him out for the rest of the game. Vince is much, MUCH better than Volek and/or Collins and I wish to never see Collins or Volek again. Volek has no velocity whatsoever on his passes and Collins is just horrible. He is a has-been. His time is complete. Volek's time shall never come, but I would rather see him in there than Collins.</div>Not exactly, a bad decision would have been a rookie mistake. That Interception by Young was a bad throw.He underthrew the Reciever on that one and Dyson was in perfect position to make the interception. Hopefully for you guys that will change, but considering he had no accuracy on his deep ball in College, I doubt it will.

10. jeefunk

This pick reminded me of his preseason pick. In the preseason, he had just completed a pass & then he threw a perfect deep ball to someone...then he threw the pick. This game, he was 3-3 when he threw the pick. I think it's just a matter of overconfidence. He gets in a little rythm and starts to get too comfortable. Those throws he could get away with throwing to Limas Sweed & Billy Pittman against Tulsa's corners, but not here in the NFL, even if it was Andre Dyson.

11. vincefan10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AdropOFvenom @ Sep 11 2006, 05:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vincefan10 @ Sep 10 2006, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Vicne Young is destined to be great. He has the size and ability. He started an excellent drive today, but it was short lived. An interception, such as the one thrown by him, is a common mistake made by many rookie quarterbacks. I don't believe Fisher should have kept him out for the rest of the game. Vince is much, MUCH better than Volek and/or Collins and I wish to never see Collins or Volek again. Volek has no velocity whatsoever on his passes and Collins is just horrible. He is a has-been. His time is complete. Volek's time shall never come, but I would rather see him in there than Collins.</div>Not exactly, a bad decision would have been a rookie mistake. That Interception by Young was a bad throw.He underthrew the Reciever on that one and Dyson was in perfect position to make the interception. Hopefully for you guys that will change, but considering he had no accuracy on his deep ball in College, I doubt it will.</div>So you're saying that underthrowing someone isn't mistake? You think he did this on purpose? Corners in college and corners in the NFL are two totally different types of players due to their development. You can't say Vince isn't going to develop into a batter passer based on what he did in college.

12. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vincefan10 @ Sep 12 2006, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>So you're saying that underthrowing someone isn't mistake? You think he did this on purpose? Corners in college and corners in the NFL are two totally different types of players due to their development. You can't say Vince isn't going to develop into a batter passer based on what he did in college.</div>I never said he couldnt change....but one of his major knocks was lacking accuracy on his deep ball and in his First Professional Football game he showed the exact same thing. Maybe the Titans will be smart enough to fix his mechanics and therefore helping to fix his lack of accuracy on the deep ball....but I dont see it happening. Just my opinion though.

13. vincefan10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AdropOFvenom @ Sep 12 2006, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vincefan10 @ Sep 12 2006, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>So you're saying that underthrowing someone isn't mistake? You think he did this on purpose? Corners in college and corners in the NFL are two totally different types of players due to their development. You can't say Vince isn't going to develop into a batter passer based on what he did in college.</div>I never said he couldnt change....but one of his major knocks was lacking accuracy on his deep ball and in his First Professional Football game he showed the exact same thing. Maybe the Titans will be smart enough to fix his mechanics and therefore helping to fix his lack of accuracy on the deep ball....but I dont see it happening. Just my opinion though.</div>I certainly hope they do, too. The Titans did a wonderful job with Air McNair and one of the reasons they drafted Vince was because of his alikeness to Steve. I'm not saying Steve had a bad arm, but he could throw a bullet and run as well. Vince is a rushing quarterback with an arm that could use some work.

14. AiRuPtHeRe

AiRuPtHeRe BBW Elite Member

Vince Young can't be a bust. He's done pretty good for the Titans so far (Won the last two games for us) He's learning how to find his WR's a little bit better but, is still getting rushing touchdowns. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Cutler will be the best QB out of the class.</div>Um No? He's not even starting, how is he gonna do good without playing time yet in the reg season?

15. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Madness @ Nov 4 2006, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Cutler will be the best QB out of the class.</div>Um No? He's not even starting, how is he gonna do good without playing time yet in the reg season?</div>A career lasts longer then one season. Tom Brady and many other Quarterbacks didn't play their rookie season either and turned out just fine.

16. chang

chang NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Madness @ Nov 4 2006, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Vince Young can't be a bust. He's done pretty good for the Titans so far (Won the last two games for us) He's learning how to find his WR's a little bit better but, is still getting rushing touchdowns. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Cutler will be the best QB out of the class.</div>Um No? He's not even starting, how is he gonna do good without playing time yet in the reg season?</div>I guess Carson Palmer was a bust cause he didn't start his rookie year. [​IMG]

17. jeefunk

It's going about how I expected so far. He's not running as much as I expected, though. His ability to improvise when things break down is amazing and he has a tremendous amount of poise for a rookie.I still think all 3 QBs from this draft will be great. Funny that none of them look anywhere near as good as Gradkowski or Romo so far!

18. NFLCGhost

NFLCGhost NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I don't think too many people are still saying Vince Young is gonna be a bust. He almost led us to 2 upsets over the Ravens and Colts. We lost by one to both of them.

19. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ghost @ Nov 18 2006, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I don't think too many people are still saying Vince Young is gonna be a bust. He almost led us to 2 upsets over the Ravens and Colts. We lost by one to both of them.</div>He's also completed 46.9% of his passes, 8 Interceptions, and a QB rating of 54.8. :whistling:

20. jeefunk

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AdropOFvenom @ Nov 18 2006, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ghost @ Nov 18 2006, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I don't think too many people are still saying Vince Young is gonna be a bust. He almost led us to 2 upsets over the Ravens and Colts. We lost by one to both of them.</div>He's also completed 46.9% of his passes, 8 Interceptions, and a QB rating of 54.8. :whistling:</div>About the same as Leinart, not bad considering Leinart has nothing else to contribute and everyone (myself included) was talking about how much more "NFL-ready" he was than Vince.Vince also has 176 rushing yds & 3 TDs and has only been sacked 9 times in 8 games where Leinart has been sacked 14 times in 6 games.And while it can be backed up with nothing statistical, he has turned countless plays of should-be sacks & busted plays into big gains or TDs (the backwards pass to Scaife for a rushing TD last week).