Bucs Release QB Fiedler

Discussion in 'NFC South' started by AdropOFvenom, Aug 31, 2006.

1. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2566830Buccaneers release veteran quarterback FiedlerAssociated PressTAMPA, Fla. -- Jay Fiedler's bid to make the Tampa Bay Buccaneers ended before the injured quarterback could even get on the field.The Bucs released the former Miami Dolphins and New York Jets player and signed offensive tackle Cornell Green on Wednesday.Fiedler, who signed with Tampa Bay as a free agent on June 29, is recovering from surgery on his right shoulder and had been unable to practice during training camp. His departure leaves three quarterbacks on the roster: starter Chris Simms and backups Tim Rattay and Bruce Gradkowski.Green, entering his seventh season, returns to the Bucs after spending the past two years with the Denver Broncos. He also played for the Jets and Dolphins before a two-year stint with Tampa Bay began in 2002.Green appeared in 24 games with eight starts in his first stay with the Bucs. He also played in three postseason games, including Tampa Bay's Super Bowl victory over Oakland in January 2003.The Broncos released Green on Tuesday. He appeared in 14 games last season, mostly on special teams.Fiedler, released by the Jets in February, missed most of 2005 after injuring his right shoulder in the third game of the season. He had surgery to repair a torn labrum and began a throwing program in May.When the 34-year-old signed with the Bucs, he hoped to be ready by the start of training camp.As recently as Monday, he was still hopeful of making enough progress to avoid being placed on the regular-season physically unable to perform list."Hopefully things will turn the corner pretty soon for me. I'm still not where I need to be," Fiedler said at the time."It's definitely frustrating being out here watching and not able to participate. I'm a competitive guy. I want to be out there. I want to be running around. I want to be playing. Unfortunately, the arm is not allowing me to do that yet."Fiedler's release came one day after another injured backup to Simms -- Luke McCown -- was placed on PUP. McCown is recovering from knee surgery.</div>

2. The Marine

The Marine BBW Member

Damn, he's having bad luck. He was the Dolphins starter for three years or something? Can't remember, im just really surprised he didn't make the 53-man roster

3. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xpostxscript @ Aug 31 2006, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Damn, he's having bad luck. He was the Dolphins starter for three years or something? Can't remember, im just really surprised he didn't make the 53-man roster</div>I heard they might have done it to avoid putting him on the PUP. Then resign him once he is fully healthy and ready to play. Not sure if its worth the gamble though as he might very well sign elsewheres.