NFL Says Vikings Henderson Not At Fault in Hasselbeck Injury

Discussion in 'NFC West' started by fromos, Oct 28, 2006.

1. fromos

fromos NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Vikings linebacker E.J. Henderson did nothing wrong on the third-quarter play that forced Seattle Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck to leave the game with a right knee sprain, NFL vice president of officiating Mike Pereira told the Pioneer Press on Friday."There was no foul on the play because of the push in the back," Pereira said. "The contact was unavoidable."On the opening drive of the second half, Hasselbeck dropped back and threw a pass intended for fullback Josh Parry. But as the play was wrapping up, Seahawks fullback Mack Strong pushed Henderson, who rolled into Hasselbeck's right leg.Pereira reinforced the officials' decision not to penalize Henderson."It's nice because I didn't get fined," Henderson said.Earlier in the week, Hasselbeck said, "I don't think it was unavoidable," adding that Henderson "didn't want me to finish the game.""I could care two (expletive) about what Hasselbeck said," Henderson said. "Straight up."Interestingly, Vikings rookie defensive end Ray Edwards was fined for a hit on a Seahawks quarterback.Late in the fourth quarter, Edwards was flagged for roughing the passer, following a hit on backup quarterback Seneca Wallace.Edwards was fined $5,000 for roughing the passer by the league Friday.http://vikingsnow.blogspot.com/Matt Hasselbeck might not be happy about it, but Vikings linebacker E.J. Henderson won't be writing a check to the NFL.The league made it official Friday, saying Henderson will not be fined for the hit he put on the Seattle quarterback in the third quarter of Sunday's game. Hasselbeck suffered a strained medial collateral ligament on the play and could miss three games. "It felt good not to be fined," Henderson said Friday. "Nobody wants to lose money."Henderson, who was blitzing on the play and ended up being shoved into Hasselbeck by Seahawks fullback Mack Strong, made it clear at the time there was nothing intentional about the hit. However, Hasselbeck didn't feel the same."I'm sure Henderson didn't try to put me out for a long period of time, but they didn't want me to finish the game, either," he said Monday.The NFL ruled the contact could not have been avoided because of the push. By Friday, Henderson had grown tired of Hasselbeck's accusations."I don't care what Hasselbeck said," said Henderson, who did not draw a penalty. "I already said before that it wasn't a dirty hit, so I really could not care less what he said. If he thought it was dirty or not. I already said it wasn't on purpose. I said I hope he wasn't injured."Asked if he would like to talk to Hasselbeck, Henderson said: "No, I don't care, it's over. He's out for a couple weeks, see you when you get back."While the league sided with Henderson, Vikings rookie defensive end Ray Edwards was fined $5,000 for a hit he put on Seahawks backup quarterback Seneca Wallace in the fourth quarter. Edwards, who was called for a 15-yard roughing-the-passer penalty, plans to appeal.http://www.startribune.com/510/story/772264.html

2. PurplePeopleEaters

PurplePeopleEaters NFLC nflcentral.net Graphics Crew

That's because he didn't do anything wrong.. Unless rolling is now illegal in the NFL.