Jeff Samardzija Giving up Football for Baseball

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AdropOFvenom, Jan 19, 2007.

1. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Samardzija going to focus on Cubs career Cubs prospect Jeff Samardzija, a record-breaking receiver at Notre Dame, is giving up football for baseball, FOXSports.com has learned.Samardzija, a right-handed pitcher, was the Cubs' fifth-round pick last summer and projected as a first-round pick in the NFL draft.He signed a $7.25 million contract with the Cubs and went 1-2 with a 2.70 ERA in seven starts at Class A last summer before returning to Notre Dame for his senior football season.</div>http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6385348Wow, Huge Move here.

2. PurplePeopleEaters

PurplePeopleEaters NFLC nflcentral.net Graphics Crew

Probably realized that he was going to be a second round pick anyways and figured that the bucks were bigger in baseball. I see him pulling a Drew Henson at some point though..

3. Capt. Comeback

Capt. Comeback NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I see him not playing in the NFL, ever.

4. GaMeTiMe

GaMeTiMe BBW Member

Can't say if this is a good or bad move yet, but I'm just surprised he didn't at least try to juggle both at once. I guess you can say it's a good move that he stuck to one, it's just a matter of whether or not it was the right choice.

5. Brooksie5

Brooksie5 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I called it a longgggg time ago. Yay for me.

6. Jon_Vilma

Jon_Vilma NFLC nflcentral.net Member

The Cubs had said that they didn't want him playing football if he chose to go with them. So there you have it.While I'm sad that he'll not play in the NFL, I'm happy he made the choice that will make him happy, and not the money-grab choice of the NFL. If he had said he was giving up baeball completely, his stock would put him in the top 15 picks, and that's bigger money than he got from the Cubs.I think someone should draft him anyway, with a 7th round pick. Why not?

7. JHair

JHair NFLC nflcentral.net Member

He isnt entering the draft so how can he get drafted in the 7th rd

8. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JHair @ Jan 19 2007, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>He isnt entering the draft so how can he get drafted in the 7th rd</div>Drew Henson was drafted by the Texans despite him being in the Yankees farm system at the time. Doesn't mean the player will even attempt to negotiate a contract with them, they just control their rights until the next draft should Samardzija decide to change his mind.

9. Jon_Vilma

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AdropOFvenom @ Jan 19 2007, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JHair @ Jan 19 2007, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>He isnt entering the draft so how can he get drafted in the 7th rd</div>Drew Henson was drafted by the Texans despite him being in the Yankees farm system at the time. Doesn't mean the player will even attempt to negotiate a contract with them, they just control their rights until the next draft should Samardzija decide to change his mind.</div>Bingo.And a 7th round pick is worth controlling Samardzija's rights for 1 year IMO.Good example:Bo Jackson was drafted by the Raiders in the 7th round while he was under contract with the Royals. As soon as the Royal's season was over, he signed on with the Raiders and ended up a solid RB for a few years until he got injured. The Raiders got a pro-bowl RB for a 7th round pick. Not bad.

10. DevinHester23

DevinHester23 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

The Cubs never forced Samardzija to focus only on baseball if he wanted to play for them. Never. It's in the Trib and Sun-Times this morning. But he should have played football. He was drafted by the Cubs, who have a history of destroying young arms w/ 100 mph fastballs, like Samardzija has. It's only a matter of time before he develops Wood and Prior syndrome, and then he'll be screwed over in both. Bad decision for him. I hope he can contribute to the Cubs, but the Cubs are going to cause him to develop Wood and Prior syndrome

11. GaMeTiMe

GaMeTiMe BBW Member

About the seventh rounder, I really don't think teams will do it. In today's game where Tom Bradys and Marques Colstons are popping up left and right, I don't think teams are really willing to possibly throw away even one draft pick.

12. Jon_Vilma

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GaMeTiMe @ Jan 20 2007, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>About the seventh rounder, I really don't think teams will do it. In today's game where Tom Bradys and Marques Colstons are popping up left and right, I don't think teams are really willing to possibly throw away even one draft pick.</div>It's not a throw away when you have a top WR talent under contract without spending much on him.

13. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jon_Vilma @ Jan 20 2007, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GaMeTiMe @ Jan 20 2007, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>About the seventh rounder, I really don't think teams will do it. In today's game where Tom Bradys and Marques Colstons are popping up left and right, I don't think teams are really willing to possibly throw away even one draft pick.</div>It's not a throw away when you have a top WR talent under contract without spending much on him.</div>Technically, they wouldn't be spending a Penny on him since he hadn't signed a Contract, just got draftedHowever, if he did change his mind then he'd have to either sign with the team that drafted him, or hold out and re-enter the 2008 Draft.

14. Jon_Vilma

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AdropOFvenom @ Jan 20 2007, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jon_Vilma @ Jan 20 2007, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GaMeTiMe @ Jan 20 2007, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>About the seventh rounder, I really don't think teams will do it. In today's game where Tom Bradys and Marques Colstons are popping up left and right, I don't think teams are really willing to possibly throw away even one draft pick.</div>It's not a throw away when you have a top WR talent under contract without spending much on him.</div>Technically, they wouldn't be spending a Penny on him since he hadn't signed a Contract, just got draftedObviouslyHowever, if he did change his mind then he'd have to either sign with the team that drafted him, or hold out and re-enter the 2008 Draft.Yup. But who says he doesn't pull a Bo Jackson and sign the contract offered?</div>

15. Karlos

Karlos NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Bad choice...bad bad choice...He would have made a ton more in the NFL.

16. Capt. Comeback

Capt. Comeback NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karlos @ Jan 20 2007, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>He would have made a ton more in the NFL.</div>Probably in short term, but in the long run, probably not. Pitches can stay good until around 40ish, some maybe 37ish. WR's can't keep up the speed for that long, not to mention, pitches now are getting over 100 million dollar contracts for like 7 years.

17. DevinHester23

The Cubs destroy young arms w/ 100 mph fastballs

18. Jon_Vilma

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Capt. Comeback @ Jan 20 2007, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karlos @ Jan 20 2007, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>He would have made a ton more in the NFL.</div>Probably in short term, but in the long run, probably not. Pitches can stay good until around 40ish, some maybe 37ish. WR's can't keep up the speed for that long, not to mention, pitches now are getting over 100 million dollar contracts for like 7 years.</div>Money in Baseball = Guaranteed.Money in Football = Players see about half of what they sign for usually.Plus, like you said, proven pitchers are getting bank, getting paid like starting QB's in the NFL.

19. DevinHester23

There are reports that Smardzija might make the MLB team in 2008