Jets' RB Woes

Discussion in 'AFC East' started by Jon_Vilma, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Jon_Vilma

Jon_Vilma NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Re: Jets' RB Woes

With all the talk about who the Jets will add at Runningback, I ask, Why not Jamal Lewis? The Ravens will have to release him (they can't afford his 5 Mil. Roster Bonus).So why not Jamal for the Jets?His price won't be terrible, at 28 for the 2007 Season, signing him to a nice 3-Year contract between 9 and 12 mil. should make both sides happy, and fill the Jets' need to have a reliable pounder in the backfield. Jamal would be the feature back with Washington being the often used (10-12 touches) second back.

2. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

Reason 1) Eric Mangini would want no part of him with his Off-Field History. It goes against everything Mangini preaches about Character. Reason 2) He is not a significant upgrade from what we already have in Cedric Houston. Over the past 2 years, he has averaged only 3.49 yards per attempt, Cedric Houston has averaged 3.48 yards per attempt over the same span. The only difference is that Jamal Lewis has ran the ball alot more allowing him to compile yards, but he was not particularly more productive in that span per touch.Reason 3) Is someone who goes against everything Mangini emphasizes in his players, and is not a significant upgrade, really worth 3-4 million per year? I don't think so.

3. Jon_Vilma

Jon_Vilma NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AdropOFvenom @ Feb 16 2007, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Reason 1) Eric Mangini would want no part of him with his Off-Field History. It goes against everything Mangini preaches about Character. Reason 2) He is not a significant upgrade from what we already have in Cedric Houston. Over the past 2 years, he has averaged only 3.49 yards per attempt, Cedric Houston has averaged 3.48 yards per attempt over the same span. The only difference is that Jamal Lewis has ran the ball alot more allowing him to compile yards, but he was not particularly more productive in that span per touch.Reason 3) Is someone who goes against everything Mangini emphasizes in his players, and is not a significant upgrade, really worth 3-4 million per year? I don't think so.</div>He's shown he can stay healthy while getting the carries, unlike Houston.And Jamal has more character than Corey Dillon did.

4. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jon_Vilma @ Feb 16 2007, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>He's shown he can stay healthy while getting the carries, unlike Houston.And Jamal has more character than Corey Dillon did.</div>So? Wasn't the whole point of going after a Runningback getting someone who could provide a Significant Upgrade to Houston, not just replace him with a bad-character clone who will stay healthy.Maybe, but at least Dillon's criminal record is clean and he's been pretty much a model citizen since going to New England. Jamal Lewis was busted for attempting to sell Cocaine.

5. GoGiants98

GoGiants98 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Jamal Lewis is horribly overrated in my opinion.But no, Cedric Houston couldnt hold his jock, how you can compare a guy that ran for 2,000 yards to Cedric Houston is beyond me.

6. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GoGiants98 @ Feb 16 2007, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>But no, Cedric Houston couldnt hold his jock, how you can compare a guy that ran for 2,000 yards to Cedric Houston is beyond me.</div>That was 4 years ago and since then he has been convicted for attempting to sell Cocaine, served 4 months in jail, served a 4 game NFL Suspension, and his level of play has completely fallen off the map since, especially in the last 2 seasons. He isn't the same player he once was and that should be obvious to everyone. He has shown no reason to think over the last 2 seasons that he is anything but a More Durable Cedric Houston. Like I already pointed out, the difference in their Yards Per Attempt over the past 2 years was 0.01 and it was actually Houston who rushed for more Touchdowns per Carry. I'm not saying that as a compliment to Houston as much as it should be an insult to Jamal Lewis. He is not a significant upgrade over what we already have and would cost 3 million or more a season to be durable. This should be a no-brainer pass.