Rams sign two on D

Discussion in 'NFC West' started by Brooksie5, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Brooksie5

Brooksie5 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The St. Louis Rams, who had only four linebackers under contract, have strengthened the position and added considerable flexibility by reaching agreement with unrestricted free agent Chris Draft, a proven veteran sought by several other teams.Financial details of the three-year deal were not available.A nine-year veteran who started all 16 games for the Carolina Panthers last season, Draft will be joining his fifth different NFL franchise. He was also pursued since the outset of the free agency period by Tampa Bay, New Orleans and Atlanta. He visited last week with the Rams' coaches and personnel officials.Draft, 31, has started at all three linebacker positions in a 4-3 alignment at various junctures of his career. His role with the Rams has not yet been defined, but there is a chance that he could challenge incumbent Brandon Chillar for the starting job at strongside linebacker, and at worst, he provides St. Louis with a versatile backup.In 2006, Draft opened the season in Carolina as the starting weakside linebacker. After two games, however, he moved to middle linebacker to replace the injured Dan Morgan, and started the final 14 games there. Draft finished the season with career highs in tackles (111) and sacks (5?).His performance last season, combined with his versatility from scrimmage and proven track record as a special teams performer, made Draft very popular as a mid-level free agent.A sixth-round choice of Chicago in 1998, Draft has 540 career tackles, 14 sacks, four interceptions, eight passes defensed, six forced fumbles and six recoveries. He has played in 111 games and started in 71 of them in stints with Chicago (1998), San Francisco (1999), Atlanta (2000-2004) and Carolina (2005-2006).The Rams also agreed to terms with free agent cornerback Mike Rumph, a five-year veteran, on a one-year contract. A first-round choice of San Francisco in 2002, Rumph was traded to Washington last season. The former University of Miami standout, a disappointment most of his career, has 138 tackles, three interceptions and 14 passes defensed in 43 games.</div>Rumph. Eh, he sucks. Whatever though, DA U!Draft. I like the signing. He did pretty well last year in Carolina, and will hopefully sure up the linebacking core.This also means we must be doing everything we can to draft Amobi Okoye.

2. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

I like Okoye as a prospect, but I really don't think he should be a starter from Day 1 if that's what you're hoping for. Very Raw, Very Young, and the kind of players teams take hoping to mold them into something. Taking the words from a friend, he's the Eddy Curry of the NFL. The kind of guy who's going to take a while to come into his own, and you want on their Second Contract, not their First as there is going to be plenty of growing pains.

3. Brooksie5

Brooksie5 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I don't think Okoye should start right away no, but I think Kennedy, Glover, and Wroten will be able to suck for another year or so. And then Okoye could step it. I don't think he's as raw as you're making him to be, but we'll find out over time.

4. david81

david81 BBW Member

Rumph and Draft should have no impact on who they would draft, they suck.

5. Agent Zero

Agent Zero BBW Member

RUMPH :beerbang2: