PacMan Suspended 1 Year, Chris Henry Suspended 8 Games

Discussion in 'AFC South' started by AdropOFvenom, Apr 10, 2007.

1. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2832015Updated: April 10, 2007, 3:50 PM ETGoodell suspends Pacman, Henry for arrestsESPN.com news servicesAdam "Pacman" Jones of Tennessee was suspended Tuesday for the 2007 NFL season and Chris Henry of Cincinnati received an eight-game suspension -- both for numerous violations of the NFL's personal conduct policy. The two players are suspended without pay, the NFL announced. Jones will lose $1,292,500 -- his 2007 base salary -- as a result of the suspension. Henry will lose $204,705.88 in salary if the Bengals' bye week comes after Week 8. He will lose $230,294.12 if the Bengals' bye week falls in the first eight weeks of the season, meaning he will miss nine weeks of pay.After they serve their suspensions, each player must apply for reinstatement."We must protect the integrity of the NFL," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "The highest standards of conduct must be met by everyone in the NFL because it is a privilege to represent the NFL, not a right. These players, and all members of our league, have to make the right choices and decisions in their conduct on a consistent basis."In a letter to each player, Goodell wrote: "Your conduct has brought embarrassment and ridicule upon yourself, your club, and the NFL, and has damaged the reputation of players throughout the league. You have put in jeopardy an otherwise promising NFL career, and have risked both your own safety and the safety of others through your off-field actions. In each of these respects, you have engaged in conduct detrimental to the NFL and failed to live up to the standards expected of NFL players. Taken as a whole, this conduct warrants significant sanction."Jones' off-field conduct has included 10 incidents where he was interviewed by police. The most recent took place in Las Vegas during the NBA All-Star weekend. Las Vegas police have recommended felony and misdemeanor charges against Jones after a fight and shooting at a strip club that paralyzed one man.Jones' suspension could be longer or shorter depending on developments in that case, an official with knowledge of the details of the suspension told The Associated Press. He requested anonymity because the Las Vegas case is still pending.Reached at her Georgia home, Jones' mother, Deborah Jones, said: "I just pray that this can be changed. This is not fair for him. It's just not fair."Henry was arrested four times in a 14-month span, resulting in two benchings by coach Marvin Lewis and a two-game league suspension. He was one of nine Bengals arrested in nine months.Goodell handed down the suspensions under the NFL's existing conduct policy and also announced a new broader policy that will allow longer fines and suspensions for players and potential penalties against teams.Both the Titans and the Bengals said they supported the suspensions."While we regret the circumstances that called for it, it's good for both Chris and the Bengals to have the matter resolved," said Bengals coach Marvin Lewis. "Our team will move forward, and now it is up to Chris to acquire a more mature understanding of his responsibilities as a player for the Bengals and a representative of the NFL."The Titans released the following statement:"We appreciate the Commissioner's thoughtful decision today and the discipline plan imposed on Adam Jones," the Titans said. "We respect this decision and are confident this is in the best interest of the league and the team. We are hopeful that it will achieve the goals of disciplining the player and eventually enabling him to return to the field of play. Our goals for Jones are consistent with the league's in that regard."Jones' suspension carries the following conditions: He must have no more run-ins with law enforcement. He must comply with all required counseling, education, and treatment assigned by the NFL or the judicial system. He must obey the restrictions that have been agreed to by he and the Titans. He may not be at the Titans' facility through May 31 and may not participate in any practices or workouts during his suspension. Starting June 1, he must visit the team facility once per week to meet with the team's player development director. Also, beginning June 1, he is permitted to spend one day a week at the team facility for conditioning, film study, and other activities. In conjunction with the Titans, Jones must develop a structured program of community service or other activity. This program must be submitted to the NFL for approval. Henry will be reinstated after the Bengals' eighth regular-season game if he meets the following conditions: He must have no more run-ins with law enforcement. He must comply with all required counseling, education, and treatment assigned by the NFL or the judicial system. He is allowed to be at the Bengals' facilities during the rest of the offseason and he must meet weekly with the team's player development director. If he fully complies with all conditions, he may participate in the training camp and Bengals preseason games. During the 2007 season, he must meet weekly with the team's player development director, but he may not attend or participate in practice. He must fully comply with all conditions imposed on him by any court, including requirements of community service. If Jones and Henry do not fully comply with these conditions, they could be permanently banished from the NFL. "I must emphasize to you that this is your last opportunity to salvage your NFL career," Goodell wrote to the players. "I urge you to take full advantage of the resources available to support you in that effort."</div><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>ESPN Reaction Joe Theismann The suspensions were extremely appropriate. What the commissioner has done is a terrific statement about the policies that he will enforce. I've always felt the suspensions and punishments for off-field issues weren't severe enough. This will get everyone's attention. I strongly believe this wasn't just Roger Goodell's decision. I believe that he knew that Gene Upshaw (head of the players association) and the players wanted more stringent action taken for this type of behavior. I applaud him for taking a stance that will benefit professional football. These are two talented players who have good careers ahead of them if they choose not to continue to make such big mistakes. What I also like is that it has taken the pressure off the individual teams. The emotion of a coach and a staff has been taken out of the equation. The commissioner has the ability to make these decisions without having to worry about what type of football player he is dealing with and how the rest of the team is affected. Now every coach in the NFL can stand up in front of their teams and truthfully say that the system will severely punish off-field misbehavior. That is huge because I'm sure there are some players who feel they are above the law because of the stats they put up on the field. Now they know that isn't true.Floyd Reese The suspension for Pacman Jones was appropriate. How will he react? The way I read it, he doesn't have a choice. He will either abide by the new conduct code or he will not be in the NFL, and that's probably the way it should be. This coming down sends a strong signal to the rest of the guys in the NFL that the league is not messing around. The response by the NFL players' union is going to be critical. Hopefully, this policy will get the strong support of players' agents and attorneys. If it does get full support, this can be a great day for the NFL.</div> <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>NFL One-Year Suspensions Here are some notable season-long suspensions of NFL players: Season Player Reason 2007 Adam "Pacman" Jones Personal Conduct 2006 Ricky Williams Substance Abuse 2005 Onterrio Smith Substance Abuse 2002 Darrell Russell Substance Abuse 1983 Art Schlichter Gambling 1963 Alex Karras Gambling 1963 Paul Hornung Gambling</div>About F'n Time. Good Move NFL, nip this personal conduct issue in the bud before it ruins the NFL's image.

2. Brooksie5

Brooksie5 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

If you people really think one player doing wrong is going to ruin the NFL, you're fucking retarded. The US Congress isn't really ruined, and they have people getting arrested for drugs and shit daily pretty much.

3. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brooksie5 @ Apr 10 2007, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If you people really think one player doing wrong is going to ruin the NFL, you're fucking retarded. The US Congress isn't really ruined, and they have people getting arrested for drugs and shit daily pretty much.</div>I never said it would ruin the NFL, but the NFL's image was quickly going down the tubes much like where the NBA was 2-3 years ago before they started cracking down on it as well. This sends a major message throughout the NFL that off the field incidents will not be tolerated and that won't just keep players like PacMan Jones and Chris Henry in line, but it will also help make other players think twice before they do something stupid to get in trouble with the law.

4. MLibid

MLibid BBW Member

Pacman Jones deserved this. So I don't see why anyone should be defending him at this point of his career. And this will send a beacon of light to those who even think about doing bad things off the football field. Gooden did the right thing. And with Chris Henry, I don't really mind eight games. Even though he did deserve it, I would probably give him 6 weeks. Eight weeks is harsh though.I guess the players are getting to know the commissioner and his rules in this league.Good wake up call.

5. Jon_Vilma

Jon_Vilma NFLC nflcentral.net Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Yay! And it's not even April 1st!!!This will show the Titans for picking Pac Man when my mock had them taking Antrel..... :flipa:

6. JHair

JHair NFLC nflcentral.net Member

7. Jon_Vilma

8. Brooksie5

Brooksie5 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Getting suspended for 1 season without being convicted of anything... but yet Albert Haynesworth only misses a few games when he stomps on a guys head? Whatever tickles the NFL's fancy I guess.

9. Jon_Vilma

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brooksie5 @ Apr 10 2007, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Getting suspended for 1 season without being convicted of anything... but yet Albert Haynesworth only misses a few games when he stomps on a guys head? Whatever tickles the NFL's fancy I guess.</div>New era.And having a dozen run ins with police in 2 years is cause for punishment. If you are arrested for prostitution, your place of employment can fire your ass without a conviction for the pure reason that you are making the company look bad. The NFL is a business, and guys like Pac Man hurt that business.

10. chang

chang NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jon_Vilma @ Apr 10 2007, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brooksie5 @ Apr 10 2007, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Getting suspended for 1 season without being convicted of anything... but yet Albert Haynesworth only misses a few games when he stomps on a guys head? Whatever tickles the NFL's fancy I guess.</div>New era.And having a dozen run ins with police in 2 years is cause for punishment. If you are arrested for prostitution, your place of employment can fire your ass without a conviction for the pure reason that you are making the company look bad. The NFL is a business, and guys like Pac Man hurt that business.</div>Basically what I was going to say.A boss can fire or suspend you for any reason he wants as long as it's justifiable. Getting arrested is a very popular reason that people get fired/suspended from their job because it's bad for company image to have employees "below moral standard."