Raiders agree to send Randy Moss to Patriots

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by AdropOFvenom, Apr 29, 2007.

1. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10156954<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>(April 29, 2007) -- On Draft Weekend 2007, the biggest tremors in the football world came from a trade between the New England Patriots and Oakland Raiders. Randy Moss is on the verge of becoming a Patriot after New England agreed to send a fourth-round pick in Sunday's draft to Oakland for the mercurial and maddening wide receiver. Before the trade is completed, Moss must undergo a physical, which he arrived in New England on Sunday morning to take. Assuming Moss passes, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady will be passing him the ball next season in one of the most dynamic and electric quarterback-wide receiver combinations that has ever played in the NFL. Moss already has agreed to dramatically restructure his contract, which is scheduled to pay him $9.75 million this coming season. New England was the one and only place Moss would agree to take a reduced contract, and he did so knowing that he would have the chance to win a Super Bowl. With the offseason that New England has had, no team in football has a better chance. Moss also comes to New England with the warning that, as Bill Parcells used to say, the light is yellow and ready to turn red. The Patriots have notified Moss that under no circumstance will they tolerate any of the transgressions that have marked his career. The first controversial incident that Moss is involved in will be his last. The Patriots insist they will release him. But now that they have him, they are thrilled. Brady is said to be very excited upon learning the news that his team had agreed to a trade with Oakland. Patriots coach Bill Belichick feels the same way as Brady. After spending previous seasons lacking a big-play target, the Patriots now have a plethora of them -- none any bigger than Moss. How the trade evolved is a story itself. Ongoing trade talks from throughout the offseason continued Friday and intensified Saturday night after the draft when the Raiders called the Patriots and got New England to sweeten its offer of what had been a sixth-round pick. New England agreed to trade a fourth-round pick to Oakland. The trade caps a remarkably and busy offseason for the Patriots, who have repositioned themselves as the team to beat in the AFC and the NFL. They have added former Ravens linebacker Adalius Thomas, former Bengals cornerback Tory James, former Dolphins running back Sammy Morris, former Dolphins wide receiver Wes Welker, former Eagles wide receiver Donte Stallworth and former Bengals wide receiver Kelley Washington. Oakland was in a position where it had to trade Moss. It could not afford to pay him his base salary while also signing No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell to a contract that is expected to include about $30 million in guaranteed money. Plus, Raiders coach Lane Kiffin had been anxious to deal Moss and start over fresh, able to implement his own ideas with his own players.</div>

2. Agent Zero

Agent Zero BBW Member

WOW!!!!!!!!! If the Patriots don't go undefeated with those 7 GREAT WR's, I will shit my pants for the rest of my life.Man, the Redskisn were gonna give the Raiders a 2nd round pick too... and a lot of money to Randy...

3. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Punisher @ Apr 29 2007, 06:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>WOW!!!!!!!!! If the Patriots don't go undefeated with those 7 GREAT WR's, I will shit my pants for the rest of my life.Man, the Redskisn were gonna give the Raiders a 2nd round pick too... and a lot of money to Randy...</div>I'm very interested in how this turns out, seems like the Patriots have pretty much turned their back on good character players to make their one last run. Guys like Meriweather and Moss, and even Stallworth had red flags when it comes to their character.

4. NFLCone.

NFLCone. NFLC nflcentral.net Graphics Crew

The Pats might have had the best off-season this year. Last year their WRs all basically sucked and now they have Stallworth and Moss.

5. chang

chang NFLC nflcentral.net Member

This all depends if Stallworth and Moss can stay healthy and motivated.I don't see why they couldn't with Belicheck at the helm. But Randy Moss is Randy Moss.And if analysts are right, the Patriots are pretty fucked after this season though.

6. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chang @ Apr 29 2007, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>This all depends if Stallworth and Moss can stay healthy and motivated.I don't see why they couldn't with Belicheck at the helm. But Randy Moss is Randy Moss.And if analysts are right, the Patriots are pretty fucked after this season though.</div>They're loading up for a one year final run. Donte Stallworth and Kelley Washington are essentially on one year deals, Asante Samuel and Eugene Wilson will be staring at Free Agency after next season, Tedi Bruschi and Rodney Harrison will probably be looking at retirement. That's alot of talent they're going to be losing and Belicheck knows it, which is why he's loading up for a final run.

7. Jon_Vilma

Jon_Vilma NFLC nflcentral.net Member

They're pretty pissed with Reche's drops losing them their shot at another ring it seems.

8. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Per John Tomase of the Herald:"Randy Moss put his money where his mouth is to come to New England. The wideout accepted a one-year deal worth $3 million, with $2 million in earned incentives. He had been due to make $9.75 million this year and $11.25 million next year".</div>Another player leaving the Patriots after 2008. :innocent:

9. Jon_Vilma

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AdropOFvenom @ Apr 29 2007, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Per John Tomase of the Herald:"Randy Moss put his money where his mouth is to come to New England. The wideout accepted a one-year deal worth $3 million, with $2 million in earned incentives. He had been due to make $9.75 million this year and $11.25 million next year".</div>Another player leaving the Patriots after 2008. :innocent:</div>Good deal for both sides. Moss gets up to 5 mil and Tom Brady to make him look great, then gets to hit Free Agency as a big man on campus. The Pats get a talented wideout without having to give him a big signing bonus or keeping his current loated salary.

10. PurplePeopleEaters

PurplePeopleEaters NFLC nflcentral.net Graphics Crew

I just have this really odd feeling that the patriots are going to fail next year. They've strayed so far from their original style which was working well for them. I just see them falling into the whole redskins trap and ending up worse with all the additions. Then again, I could also see them tearing it up and winning the super bowl undefeated. [​IMG]

11. DevinHester23

DevinHester23 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I wonder if they will stand for his I take plays off when I feel like it attitude

12. Jon_Vilma

This pisses me off because the rest of the offseason and for most of next season Randy Moss is going to be the headline story like T.O. was when he first went to Dallas.Damn it, this fucking ruins football talk on TV for this year as well.

13. chang

chang NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PurplePeopleEaters @ Apr 29 2007, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I just have this really odd feeling that the patriots are going to fail next year. They've strayed so far from their original style which was working well for them. I just see them falling into the whole redskins trap and ending up worse with all the additions. Then again, I could also see them tearing it up and winning the super bowl undefeated. [​IMG]</div>That's exactly what I was thinking. Sometimes straying away from what is proven to work can end up working but it can also blow up in your face.

14. DevinHester23

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jon_Vilma @ Apr 29 2007, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>This pisses me off because the rest of the offseason and for most of next season Randy Moss is going to be the headline story like T.O. was when he first went to Dallas.Damn it, this fucking ruins football talk on TV for this year as well.</div>:ROFL: :LMAO:

15. Jon_Vilma

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DevinHester23 @ Apr 29 2007, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jon_Vilma @ Apr 29 2007, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>This pisses me off because the rest of the offseason and for most of next season Randy Moss is going to be the headline story like T.O. was when he first went to Dallas.Damn it, this fucking ruins football talk on TV for this year as well.</div>:ROFL: :LMAO:</div>You know it's true. Sportscenter's annual 2 hour preseason NFL special will spend a minimum half our, but probably more like 45 minutes, talking about Randy Moss.

16. DevinHester23

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jon_Vilma @ Apr 30 2007, 02:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DevinHester23 @ Apr 29 2007, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jon_Vilma @ Apr 29 2007, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>This pisses me off because the rest of the offseason and for most of next season Randy Moss is going to be the headline story like T.O. was when he first went to Dallas.Damn it, this fucking ruins football talk on TV for this year as well.</div>:ROFL: :LMAO:</div>You know it's true. Sportscenter's annual 2 hour preseason NFL special will spend a minimum half our, but probably more like 45 minutes, talking about Randy Moss.</div>You're probably right. I'm sick of ESPN talking about Moss and TO also. Just like the news of TO being back is only news b/c it's TO

17. TCOF

TCOF NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Man here in New England and talking to Pats fans you'd think Moss was the 2nd coming of God himself.So many Pats fans think Champ can't cover him when he did 4 times over the last 2 years. I hate NE/Boston sports fans.

18. DevinHester23

As a former Vikings fan, I have to say that Moss is going to destroy the team. His attitude and his play are going to destroy the team. He doesn't want to play all the time, and he quits on his team, walking off the field while there is still time left.

19. Capt. Comeback

Capt. Comeback NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TCOF @ Apr 30 2007, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>So many Pats fans think Champ can't cover him when he did 4 times over the last 2 years. I hate NE/Boston sports fans.</div>Ummm, Champ has trouble covering Moss. If you thought Moss gave a shit when he was on the Raiders... well, think again.

20. TCOF

TCOF NFLC nflcentral.net Member

In 06 he had 6 catches for 92 yards against Denver.Not very good at all.