Major League Baseball. The End is Near.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jon_Vilma, May 2, 2007.

1. Jon_Vilma

Jon_Vilma NFLC nflcentral.net Member

The NFL Draft on ESPN more than doubled the the top MLB Baseball game. And the MLB Baseball game was Yanks-Sox, which are always the highest rated baseball games. Of the 3 million people who watched the Yanks-Sox game, 40% were over 55. Less than a 3rd were men in the 18-34 year old range. In contrast, ESPN had more than 6 million viewers, and over half of them were men in the 18-34 range. Which means more young men watched the NFL draft on ESPN watched the NFL Draft than the total number of people who watched the highest watched matchup in Baseball. Why is this important? Because who is going to be around and watching sports 15 years from now. 18-34 year old men or the 55+ crowd.And these numbers don't include the NFL Draft on NFLN.Baseball is dying.

2. GotSkillz92

GotSkillz92 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

How is possible to tell who watches Baseball? Age Wise?

3. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

I really don't put too much importance into stuff like that as I think you're reading too much into it. Theres 162 baseball games in a season so one individual game doesn't normally have a huge importance until around September and each game only involves 2 fanbases whereas the NFL Draft is a 2 day event with huge imporance towards 32 fan bases.Relatively Unimportant Baseball Game + 2 Fan Bases effectedorImportant NFL Draft + 32 Fan Bases effectedWhich will have better ratings?

4. Jon_Vilma

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GotSkillz92 @ May 2 2007, 06:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>How is possible to tell who watches Baseball? Age Wise?</div>They know who lives in the households they take the samplings from.

5. Jon_Vilma

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AdropOFvenom @ May 2 2007, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I really don't put too much importance into stuff like that as I think you're reading too much into it. Theres 162 baseball games in a season so one individual game doesn't normally have a huge importance until around September and each game only involves 2 fanbases whereas the NFL Draft is a 2 day event with huge imporance towards 32 fan bases.Relatively Unimportant Baseball Game + 2 Fan Bases effectedorImportant NFL Draft + 32 Fan Bases effectedWhich will have better ratings?</div>You don't think that that is a problem? That the games are seen as unimportant and needless to watch?You know more people under 55 watch the Ultimate Fighting Championship than watched the World Series right?

6. DevinHester23

DevinHester23 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I was watching baseball during the draft, except I didn't get the Yankees-Red Sox game. I got the Cubs-Cardinals game. Also, I think there are plenty of fans who are sick of the media overkill on the Yankees and Red Sox and don't want to watch it

7. korea_kid

korea_kid NFLC nflcentral.net Member

mlb not dying. boxing + nhl will die first before mlb, boy

8. Agent Zero

Agent Zero BBW Member

MLB isn't dying, it's just that there are so many better things to do than watch a random game. I watch all Orioles games and really enjoy them, but baseball is one of those sports where you can't just sit there and watch it -- way too boring then.

9. Jon_Vilma

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (korea_kid @ May 2 2007, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>mlb not dying. boxing + nhl will die first before mlb, boy</div>Those will die first, kid, but Baseball is dying.

10. Jon_Vilma

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Punisher @ May 2 2007, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>MLB isn't dying, it's just that there are so many better things to do than watch a random game. I watch all Orioles games and really enjoy them, but baseball is one of those sports where you can't just sit there and watch it -- way too boring then.</div>Baseball used to dominate the ratings more than the NFL does now. Now they are clinging to the ranking of 3rd most watched sport (and a long way behind 1st, they cling to 3rd) and among the key demographic, 18-34 year old men, they aren't even in the top 4. They are 5th. And their numbers aren't coming back. Football, MMA, and Basketball will retain, Baseball will slip further and further behind and be like Boxing or Hockey. Loyal but small fanbase.

11. korea_kid

how you are compare baseball and mma? baseball has been going for year year year! mma just popped up. baseball game is everyday....... mma is not. i think it is this in the future: 1. football (always) 3. baseball (always) 99999999999. MMA why you ask me? i will say to you.......... because mma rely soooooo much on its superstars but what if there is none? look crocop was kicked in the head..... now no one will watch him because he is washed up. u know now, boy??

12. Jon_Vilma

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (korea_kid @ May 2 2007, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>how you are compare baseball and mma? baseball has been going for year year year! mma just popped up. baseball game is everyday....... mma is not. i think it is this in the future: 1. football (always) 3. baseball (always) 99999999999. MMA why you ask me? i will say to you.......... because mma rely soooooo much on its superstars but what if there is none? look crocop was kicked in the head..... now no one will watch him because he is washed up. u know now, boy??</div>MMA just popped up.... yet more people in the key demographic (IE not old people about to die) watched the MMA championship on cable than watched the World Series that's free to everyone.And stop being a dick or you are going to be banned.

13. korea_kid

i think your words are fair....... but why banned?? any time i respect your post

14. chang

chang NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I agree baseball is dying... but only in a few cities that have perenial losers (cough Baltimore Orioles cough).I don't watch O's games unless I go to the game and even then, I'm pretty uninterested in the actual game.

15. MLibid

MLibid BBW Member

Vilma, you don't even have the power to ban anyone.

16. Jon_Vilma

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MLibid @ May 2 2007, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Vilma, you don't even have the power to ban anyone.</div>No, but this is a civil board, and even as a mod I've been warned for less.Plus I have powers over the Jets board, so he at least can't be a punk there.

17. iknobaer

iknobaer NFLC nflcentral.net Member

you are just pissed cause no one is watching your precious yankees.the media for the yankees and red sox is so worked up, i refuse to watch those games, and the one inning i did watch, the red sox hit back, to back, to back, to back home runs. that i enjoyed.who wants to watch the yanks this year anyway? they suck.

18. DevinHester23

DevinHester23 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Dude, the NBA is going to die before MLB. And as proof that MLB isn't dying, anytime a Chicago team is in, the ratings explode. Plenty of people are sick of the overkill on the Yankees and Red Sox and would rather not watch them. I'm one of those fans who watches it, since I like the Red Sox, but not a lot of people like it. This is why I gave you the biggest homer award

19. Jon_Vilma

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (iknobaer @ May 2 2007, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>you are just pissed cause no one is watching your precious yankees.the media for the yankees and red sox is so worked up, i refuse to watch those games, and the one inning i did watch, the red sox hit back, to back, to back, to back home runs. that i enjoyed.who wants to watch the yanks this year anyway? they suck.</div>What the hell are you talking about? Yanks-Redsox games are the highest rated. More people want to watch the Yankees than any other team, or at least more people do watch them than any other team.And I'd rather the Jets win the AFCC than the Yankees win another World Series.Baseball is dying..... I don't see what so homeristic about the Yankees in saying that....