Future for Tottenham

Discussion in 'England' started by dycben, Apr 19, 2007.

1. dycben

dycben DYC 1st team Reserves

Where do you see tottenham in the next 5-10 years?

I think the progress the club has made has been good. The club seemed a little lost in the middle of the table, often falling into the bottom half with the club constantly changing manager. Now we are challenging for a european spot and moving slightly further in the cup competitions, only being knocked out by the larger teams this year.

But is the club really progressing?

You always here about how young our team is and it will be our time in a couple of years time, but i cant see the gap between us and the top clubs closing in that time. we may have some of the best young talent around but they always seem to be slightly below the best. im happy with most players but others like jenas just seem to have reached their peak already, i cant see the guy improving.
    the squad has also been tested to the limit with the european games midweek and it has shown how weak our squad can get.

Do people think that MJ is the right man to take the club up that next level? he has raised the club up since he joined and has brought in a young squad with some good buys such as berbatov.
    he does have he bad points to tho. his purchases have sometimes been confusing and there have been questions raised about his tactics too. some have also complained about his attitude after games but i think its good have a manager that is honest for once.

Is our future in bringing in talent from outside, or sticking with the young talent we have coming up through the ranks, such as ifill and barnard?

2. neo

neo DYC Squad Backup player

tottenham are a strange team ythey have a loy of quality but you need a top manager to get the best out of what you have and sadlymartin jol does not have it

3. RedDevil

RedDevil DYC Youth Team

I dont think you are appreciating what Martin Jol has done for Tottenham. Before Jol came in, Tottenham used to reuglarly finish between 10th and 14th in the league. He has done a fanatastic job at Tottenham. Tottenham have a great side and everyone is still young, in a few years they could cement themsevlves into the top 4 in the expense of Arsenal who look like they may be loseing all their players-Fabregas, Henry, if Wenger leaves.

However, i do agree that Jol has his bad points. His tactics leave a lot to be desired and i dont think he motivates his players well enough. He is very shrewd in the trasnfer market and did well to buy Berbatov for only 11 million and sell Carrick for arguably an overpriced 18.6million. Stole gareth bale from under the noses of United and even threatened to snap up Nani before we signed him. He has now been linked with Sneijder. I dont think you should be so quick to judge. Tottenham finished just 9 points away from a 3rd place finish!!

4. Hutcho

Hutcho DYC Squad Backup player

I'm predicting a few more let down seasons.

5. SuperMattyTaylor

SuperMattyTaylor DYC 1st team Reserves

When they have like a average age of 26ish they'll be challenging for the title, they need experience they've got some very young players..

- SMT

6. bbwMax

bbwMax Member

I think 5th as the 'big 4' IMO are unstoppable

7. Robinho4Ever

Robinho4Ever DYC 1st team Reserves

I expect a fall in the coming season !!

8. twofivefive

twofivefive DYC Boro for FA Cup 2008.

How can you say Martin Jol isn't a top manager? He's very good tactically and he is one of the best in the Premiership at knowing where a player plays his best.

Tottenham just need a couple more seasons under their belt with roughly the same squad, one or two changes but not too many, and then they'll be able to challenge more, maybe not for the title but for the FA Cup or even be able to match the top four even more.

9. robert

robert DYC Part-Timer

Progress is good some very good young players and i have to say i think Aaron Lennon is amazing.

10. United4ever

United4ever DYC Manchester United's son

By the players they have got they should finish the top 4. I think Martin Jol has gone a great job 2 seasons ago but since then the club hasn't moved anywhere that much. He went and bought so many players it is like moving back to step 1. I still question abt his man-managing skills and I don't think he could take them into the big 4. I think important players like Berbatov, Defoe and Lennon will eventually go and I see Everton being a more consistent side. I think Tottenham needs to get either Gerrard Houllier or Didier Deschamps if they want to move forward