UFC 76: Knockout

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by speeds, Sep 2, 2007.

1. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Billed: Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell returns to the octagon to face "The Dean of Mean" keith Jardine; the debut of Shogun.</p>

Matches announced:</p>

Light Heavyweight (186-205)</p>

Chuck Liddell vs. Keith Jardine</p>

Mauricio Rua vs. Forrest Griffin</p>

Kazuhiro Nakamura vs. Lyoto Machida</p>

Wilson Gouveia vs. Jason Lambert</p>

Welterweight (156-170)</p>

Jon Fitch vs. Diego Sanchez</p>

Lightweight (146-155)</p>

Thiago Tavares vs. Tyson Griffin</p>

Michihiro Omigawa vs. Matt Wiman </p>

2. speeds

This card is currently being attacked as one of the weakest the UFC has put forward this year, the other bad one being the event in Ireland.</p>

I guess because we got two this month, they didn't feel the need to stack it up.</p>

No title fights and the main event is inexplicable, with Jardine, who got mauled by Alexander, fighting Liddell in what can only be described as a tune-up for the former LHW champ.</p>

The debut of Shogun should be exciting but if he makes short work of Griffin, the Fitch/Sanchez fight might be the only high-end fight on the card that gives us what we want.</p>

Tyson Griffin is entertaining, at least.</p>

3. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

I expect Jardine to beat Liddell. He's like an animal. So is Liddell but I just think after losing to Rampage, now he knows that he can be beaten and will find a way to lose to Jardine. </p>

Speeds, does Liddell want to fight rampage again for the title? (can he get a rematch)</p>

4. speeds

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing)</div><div class='quotemain'>I expect Jardine to beat Liddell. He's like an animal. So is Liddell but I just think after losing to Rampage, now he knows that he can be beaten and will find a way to lose to Jardine.

Speeds, does Liddell want to fight rampage again for the title? (can he get a rematch)</div></p>

Dana White has gone on record as saying Liddell is a ways away from fighting Page again. Remember this was the second time Liddell got his ass handed to him by Jackson, so a third fight might not be compelling. I expect that the UFC hopes to build up a title fight with Shogun instead. </p>

The fight that Liddell is working towards right now is an anticipated rematch with Wandy. That will happen in the first half of 2008, I reckon.</p>

In the meantime I hope the UFC continues to bolster the division by bringing in Little Nog, Arona, and Sokoudjou. </p>

5. speeds

A few fights have been added to the card:</p>

Scott Junk vs. Christian Wellisch</p>

Diago Saraiva vs. Jeremy Stevens</p>

Anthony Johnson vs. Rich Clementi at 177 pounds (catchweight)</p>

</p>

Despite not having any titles on the line, and a confusing main event, this card could wind up being a classic. Lots of potential; the more I look at it the more excited I am for tomorrow night.</p>

6. Answer_AI03

Answer_AI03 JBB JustBBall Member

wish i had the 40 bucks to shell out to watch it. Shogun is one of my favorite fighters and he should be a powerhouse in the ufc. I dont really care about the Liddell, hes too much of a striker for my tastes.

7. speeds

Results:</p>

</p><table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="5" height="2"><tbody><tr><td class="HeaderBlue" width="56" height="25" align="center"></td> <td class="HeaderBlue" width="126" align="center"></td> <td class="HeaderBlue" width="126" align="center"></td> <td class="HeaderBlue" width="160" align="center"></td> <td class="HeaderBlue" width="71" align="center"></td> <td class="HeaderBlue" width="69" align="center"></td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr align="center"> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="50" height="30">

Match </p>

1</p></td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="126">

Winner </p>

Matt Wiman</p></td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="126">

Loser </p>

Michihiro Omigawa</p></td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="160">

Method </p>

Decision (Unanimous)</p></td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="71">

Round </p>

3</p></td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="63">

Time</p>

5:00 </p></td> </tr> <tr align="center"> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="50" height="30">2</td> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="126">Christian Wellisch</td> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="126">Scott Junk</td> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="160">Submission (Heel Hook)</td> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="71">1</td> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="63">3:19 </td> </tr> <tr align="center"> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="50" height="30">3</td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="126">Jeremy Stephens</td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="126">Diego Saraiva</td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="160">Decision (Unanimous)</td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="71">3</td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="63">5:00 </td> </tr> <tr align="center"> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="50" height="30">4</td> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="126">Rich Clementi</td> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="126">Anthony Johnson</td> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="160">Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)</td> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="71">2</td> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="63">3:05 </td> </tr> <tr align="center"> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="50" height="30">5</td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="126">Tyson Griffin</td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="126">Thiago Tavares</td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="160">Decision (Unanimous)</td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="71">3</td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="63">5:00 </td> </tr> <tr align="center"> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="50" height="30">6</td> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="126">Ryoto Machida</td> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="126">Kazuhiro Nakamura</td> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="160">Decision (Unanimous)</td> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="71">3</td> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="63">5:00 </td> </tr> <tr align="center"> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="50" height="30">7</td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="126">Jon Fitch</td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="126">Diego Sanchez</td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="160">Decision (Split)</td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="71">3</td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="63">5:00 </td> </tr> <tr align="center"> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="50" height="30">8</td> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="126">Forrest Griffin</td> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="126">Mauricio Rua</td> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="160">Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)</td> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="71">3</td> <td class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" width="63">4:45 </td> </tr> <tr align="center"> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="50" height="30">9</td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="126">Keith Jardine</td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="126">Chuck Liddell</td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="160">Decision (Split)</td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="71">3</td> <td class="Txt11Gray" width="63">5:00</td></tr></tbody></table>

</p>

8. NTC

NTC Active Member

Card didnt look that bad on paper, Griffin with a big upset, Jardine, I wont say was an upset, but I think everyone was expecting Chuck to win. Looks like retirement is on the cards for him, maybe no Wanderlai fight either

9. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Just like I called it, Jardine wins. Big win for him. And yeah Liddell has to think about retirement now.