TJ Ford to enter NBA draft...

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by mike18946, Apr 30, 2003.

1. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Texas sophomore point guard T.J. Ford reportedly plans to leave the Longhorns and enter the NBA draft.

The All-America player was expected to announce this week, most likely on Thursday, that he will become available for the draft on June 26, a source close to the team told the Houston Chronicle in Wednesday's editions.

T.J. Ford would likely be the top point guard selected in the June 26 draft.

"When you get to where you can't improve your position, you almost have to go,'' said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "His stock can't get any higher than it is now. You have to support that.''

Sources close to the Longhorns program told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and Houston television station KRIV that Ford would hold a news conference to make it official. KRIV reported the news conference would be Thursday in Austin.

"He has to go,'' the Star-Telegram quoted its source as saying. "He's going to be a top-10 pick. After the season he's had, he could only hurt (his standing) by staying another year.''

Ford, a former Houston Willowridge High standout, was unavailable for comment. His father, Leo, would not speculate on his son's decision.

"I have no comment whatsoever on that,'' Leo Ford said Tuesday night.

The elder Ford did not return a telephone call from The Associated Press on Wednesday.

His son said during the season that he was "110 percent sure'' he would return for his junior season, but after the season he began hinting that he might leave for the NBA.

"I cannot confirm that for you,'' Longhorns basketball spokesman Scott McConnell told the AP. "He has not informed us of any decision.''

McConnell said no news conference has yet been scheduled. He said the school had planned to hold a news conference for whatever decision Ford made.

A National Basketball Association scout told the Chronicle Tuesday night that Ford would likely be taken somewhere between the fifth and ninth picks should he choose to make himself eligible for the draft.

"The draft lottery could change things somewhat, but there are at least three teams that -- if they don't have one of the top three picks -- will snap him up if he is available,'' the scout said. "He's rated that highly right now.''

Ford led Texas to its first Final Four appearance in 56 years. He won the John R. Wooden Award and the Naismith Award, both college basketball player of the year honors.

The 5-foot-10, 160-pound playmaker could be the second early draft entrant for Texas since Rick Barnes took over as coach for the 1998-99 season. Center Chris Mihm left after his junior season and was taken by the Chicago Bulls with the seventh pick of the first round. He was sent to the Cavaliers in a draft day trade and remains in Cleveland as a backup.

Ford led Texas in five statistical categories this season -- including scoring average (15.0 points), assists (7.7), steals (2.0), and minutes (33.6). He had 10 or more assists nine times last season and 24 times over his two-year college career. His 527 assists ranks second on Texas' career list.

On April 16, Ford was taken by ambulance to an Austin hospital after taking what he described as "a spill'' in a pickup basketball game. He said he was taken to the hospital as a precaution. The university wouldn't release details, citing privacy laws.

Ford spent about four hours in a hospital emergency room.

Underclassmen have until May 12 to inform the NBA that they want to be in the draft. If a player doesn't hire an agent, he can withdraw his name from consideration and not be penalized by the NCAA.
    </div>

best of luck to TJ!! i guess a top 5-10 pick is on the cards...

2. Gee_Dupe11

Gee_Dupe11 JBB JustBBall Member

Not only T.J will enter but Chris Kaman will enter too.

3. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

i think TJ should wait 1 more year and go higher. there's too much talent in this years draft already.

4. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

Not exactly a plethora of talent outside the top three or five, shapecity, but I guess it's an okay talen pool this year. Ford should go somewhere from 5-8 I think.

5. jjdaman20

jjdaman20 BBW Member

I think he should stay at TX one more year...see if he grows a lil but if Earl Boykins is 5'5" and successful i think TJ Ford can be more successful

6. SCBrian

SCBrian JBB JustBBall Member

tj is my favorite player in college ball...but he needs a J to be successful in the NBA...he'll struggle if he cant hit from outside of 15 feet in the NBA...i think that a team that has a number of good shooters and guys who move well without the ball could really use a PG like tj tho...so i hope he does well and lands with a team that suits his game...

7. Thurgood

Thurgood JBB JustBBall Member

maybe he should stay at texas but u gotta go to the draft while your names hot cuz u never no what can happen next year

8. vinsanity03

vinsanity03 JBB JustBBall Member

Good, this Draft is stacked!! If Emeka Okafor entered it, then it would be wild. same wityh darius rice.

9. jbbFranchise

jbbFranchise JBB JustBBall Member

I think it would be better for Darius to stay one more year, that way Miami has a great chance of winning the championship.

Tj could have done that too, but its good hes entering

10. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Im predicting TJ to go with the 5th or 6th pick.

11. Alley-oop

Alley-oop JBB JustBBall Member

Dwayne Wade also is entering. If Ford doesnt improve his shot he is going to be the next jamaal tinsley.

12. Damian Necronamous

Damian Necronamous JBB JustBBall Member

Hmm...he could've been a Top 3 pick next year if he stayed one more season at Texas. He'll still probably be a Top 6 pick though. He's definitely the best PG in the entire Draft.

13. jjdaman20

jjdaman20 BBW Member

dang man...i don't look forward to this draft at all....too many good players to choice from....

14. Gee_Dupe11

Gee_Dupe11 JBB JustBBall Member

great draft great free agent.off-season is gonna be wild

15. jbbFranchise

jbbFranchise JBB JustBBall Member

I know, i wanna see some crazy trades

16. jjdaman20

jjdaman20 BBW Member

u seen one...payton and mason for allen....

17. jbbSkip

jbbSkip JBB JustBBall Member

we want MORE...

18. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

t j should go 5-8 in the draft

19. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

I know in other threads I said I wasn't that impressed with the talent level in this draft, but now the more I look at it the more I like it...