Culpepper might miss rest of season

Discussion in 'NFC North' started by panthersare#1, Oct 30, 2005.

1. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (Oct. 30, 2005) -- Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper could miss the rest of the season after injuring his right knee against Carolina, coach Mike Tice said.

"The quarterback doesn't appear to be in good shape," Tice said. "I'm not a doctor, but the initial tests are not good. It doesn't appear that it's going to be anything that we as Vikings will want to hear.

"Things happen that are devastating. This certainly, if it's as serious as it appears, is devastating to our football team."

Culpepper ran for an 18-yard gain on the final play of the first quarter when he was hit by multiple defenders. Carolina cornerback Chris Gamble came in from the side and tackled Culpepper's leg and he immediately grabbed his knee.

Culpepper was helped off the field and taken to a cart for the ride into the locker room. The team initially said he sprained his knee.

He was on crutches with a heavy brace around his knee after the game and said he wouldn't know anything until after undergoing an MRI on Oct. 31.

"I'm not talking about anything," Culpepper said. "We don't know the extent of the damage right now. I really can't talk about it until we do the MRIs and find out."

Vikings trainer Chuck Barta said the team hadn't ruled out a possible torn anterior cruciate ligament in Culpepper's knee.

Brad Johnson replaced Culpepper and went 13-for-28 for 162 yards and a touchdown in Minnesota's 38-13 loss to the Panthers.

"We have to rally around Brad," Tice said. "Brad doesn't have the same arm Daunte has, (but) Brad has played a lot more games than Daunte has. We can make up for the different styles by going to more short passing to give ourselves a chance to suit his style.

"Brad is a very good quarterback; he's won a Super Bowl. We have faith in Brad."

2. FLORIDA PACKER

FLORIDA PACKER nfl-*****s member

Sucks that he's hurt but the Vikes shoulden't be too much worse. Brad Johnson may be just what they need to ressurect their season.

3. vikingfan

vikingfan nfl-*****s member

You kidding? Brad Johnson is never going to ressurect this team. He is a very good backup QB, and would be great if he were playing a decent system, but Tice, with the help of McCombs being cheap, has turned this into a horrible, confused team.

Brad Johnson will be lucky if he survives the season.

4. J-E-T-S 1083

J-E-T-S 1083 The Original Jets Junkie

yay it just gets worse and worse for the vikes...hmm sounds like the Jets

5. Hawk

Hawk nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vikingfan)</div><div class='quotemain'>You kidding? Brad Johnson is never going to ressurect this team. He is a very good backup QB, and would be great if he were playing a decent system, but Tice, with the help of McCombs being cheap, has turned this into a horrible, confused team.

Brad Johnson will be lucky if he survives the season.</div>

I remember in like week 4 there was a lot of talk about Tice getting fired but now I don't hear that as much. He ain't hated no more.

6. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hawk)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vikingfan)</div><div class='quotemain'>You kidding? Brad Johnson is never going to ressurect this team. He is a very good backup QB, and would be great if he were playing a decent system, but Tice, with the help of McCombs being cheap, has turned this into a horrible, confused team.

Brad Johnson will be lucky if he survives the season.</div>

I remember in like week 4 there was a lot of talk about Tice getting fired but now I don't hear that as much. He ain't hated no more.</div>

I still dislike Tice as a coach with all my passion. [​IMG]

7. vikingfan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hawk)</div><div class='quotemain'>I remember in like week 4 there was a lot of talk about Tice getting fired but now I don't hear that as much. He ain't hated no more.</div>

I think most people agree, Tice is a nice guy but a terrible coach. You don't hear about him being fired as much because the owner has come out and said that he will not be fired during the season. Besides, whose going to replace him, Ted Cottrell? The man has one of the most expensive defenses with some great talent and still can't field a top-20 defense.

8. Vikings_4life

Vikings_4life nfl-*****s member

Hopefully this will shut up all of the Brad Johnson ass kissers, and show that he isnt good under these conditions either. Watching immobile Brad johnson get sacked 7 times a game will open peoples eyes to the fact that we have no offensive line whatsoever. If Daunte had more than 2 seconds to throw, I think he'd be doing ok. Tough to run an offense when you have 3 guys in your face as soon as you get the ball.

9. ranman

ranman nfl-*****s member

The only thing now that Vikings fans have to look forward to is a top 5 draft pick. I predict 1 more victory over Packers and thats it.

10. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

i just hope the vikings dont lose that many games because i dont want reggie bush to go to the vikings.

11. vikingfan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (N_Burleson4life)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hopefully this will shut up all of the Brad Johnson ass kissers, and show that he isnt good under these conditions either. Watching immobile Brad johnson get sacked 7 times a game will open peoples eyes to the fact that we have no offensive line whatsoever. If Daunte had more than 2 seconds to throw, I think he'd be doing ok. Tough to run an offense when you have 3 guys in your face as soon as you get the ball.</div>

I couldn't agree more. I watch the games with a group of people who are pretty much all Daunte bashers and want him benched. Now they got their wish and will see how good he really was, even when he sucked.

Watching Brad Johnson float one pass after another over the head of the receivers was early vindication for all of those who kept telling me that he was the answer.

12. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

There was a reason why John Gruden benched Brad Johnson in Tampa. Hes not gonna have a good season.

13. Wannab Favre

Wannab Favre nfl-*****s member

Vikings are terrible, i think they could possibly be worse than the Texans, it is mistake ridden football, at least the poor old Texans have competed against bengals, colts and won last night.

The Vikings are my pick for number one pick next year!

14. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

Its offical, Culpepper is out for the season

15. Wannab Favre

Wannab Favre nfl-*****s member

They will go to Brad Johnson, they might aswell just start looking to next year!

Not that they don't have a chance to turn their season around but the way they have been playing, i think they are the worst team in the nfl

16. Hawk

Hawk nfl-*****s member

Brad Johnson is just as good. He did win a super bowl with Tampa Bay in 02'.

17. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hawk)</div><div class='quotemain'>Brad Johnson is just as good. He did win a super bowl with Tampa Bay in 02'.</div>

Brad Johnson is also pushing 40 now. When he was in Tampa he also had the best defense in the NFL at that time. Something the Vikings don't have. Johnson can't win a game on his own. Culpepper was the type of player that could or at least he could in the past. This season he was playing bad but thats the last thing the Vikings needed.

Culpepper might be lost for half of next season. Reported inrjury. ACL, MCL, and PCL tears.

18. vikingfan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hawk)</div><div class='quotemain'>Brad Johnson is just as good. He did win a super bowl with Tampa Bay in 02'.</div>

Couldn't disagree with you more. Don't get me wrong, I like Brad Johnson and was very happy when he won a Super Bowl, but he is not a Culpepper. He has never put up 39 TD, 11 INTs, 4000+ passing yards, 400+ rushing yards in one season, and he never could. And now at his age, he lacks any arm strength to make an impact.

He will do ok, but there is still no running game, and my guess is that he will be injured in about 3 weeks from our horrible offensive line.

19. FLORIDA PACKER

FLORIDA PACKER nfl-*****s member

Thank goodness Im BACK! I wonder if Jeff George will be getting call from Tice and Co?

20. DP

DP He shoots, he scores!

WOOT DIZZLE! Haha Vikings eat that!