#3 Michigan State @ #5 Kansas

Discussion in 'Men's College Basketball' started by Voodoo Child, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

The third (or second) best team in the nation will take on the fifth best team tonight. The game's on ESPN and Kansas is eight point favorites. Predictions anyone? This is the first BIG game of the year.

2. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

I have the VCR going for this one...I like Kansas to win...Simien and Davis should be an interesting frontcourt matchup...it really is Simien and Langford who carry this team and they have gotten to an explosive start so far...I like Michgan St.'s depth though, especially at guard and in college bball guards are what win games....I'm going to stick with my gut though and say Kansas win by four...

3. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

I will say Kansas just because i hate the Spartans.

4. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kid Canada:</div><div class="quote_post">I will say Kansas just because i hate the Spartans.</div>

Thats a great reason [​IMG]

I think Kansas will win this game. I am a little worried about the Spartans as they barely won their opener against Bucknell. They would have lost the game if Bucknell didn't shoot 1-17 from the free throw line. I can guarentee that Kansas will shoot better than 5.88% from the line tonight.

It is so early in the season, but I was impressed with how Wayne Simien and David Padgett played in their opener against Chattanooga.

I have to go with Kansas.

For the record, Michigan State is #4 according to ESPN, not #3. :mrgreen:

5. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

And Kansas is number 6. How can a division 1 team shoot 1-17 from the line thats horrible.

6. Fast Luck

Fast Luck JBB JustBBall Member

I go with MSU because Kansas is soft. Maybe not really, but they can't be as tough as a Michigan State Tom Izzo team. I guess it already started but it's close with Kansas ahead so I'm allowed to still pick MSU. [​IMG] Besides, with so many new players on Kansas, they'll need a little while to really gel.

7. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Kansas are blowing out Michigan right now...61-46 with over 12 minutes left.Simien can't seem to miss...

8. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

Like I said, Simien and Langford provide the boost for Kansas, Langford mostly in the second half. Miles also came up huge and outplayed the Michigan State backcourt. I think Kansas got a lot of favor from the refs, but that's what expected when they have home court, especially on the college level. Davis showed up to play a bit too late, I was really looking forward to a better matchup in the frontcourt. That's where Michigan State really needed production to stay in the game. Hopefully this non-conference schedule won't come back to bit Izzo in the behind because it doesn't get any easier from here...

9. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

Yeah, Kansas looked really soft to me Fast Luck.

10. Voodoo Child

Kansas - 81
    Michigan State - 74

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"><font color="DarkGreen"><font color="DarkGreen">MSU Edged In Top-10 Matchup </font>

Maurice Ager had 17 points and Alan Anderson 16 for the Spartans.

Nov 25, 2003

By DOUG TUCKER
    AP Sports Writer

LAWRENCE, Kan. - Wayne Simien scored 28 points and No. 6 Kansas withstood a Michigan State rally to beat the No. 3 Spartans 81-74 Tuesday night in college basketball's first marquee matchup of the year.

Kansas, now 2-0 under new coach Bill Self, hit its first six shots of the second half, giving the Big 12 preseason favorites a 54-39 lead over the favorites in the Big Ten.

But Michigan State's Shannon Brown, who had only one point in a first half, hit three straight buckets and ignited a 12-2 run for the Spartans (1-1).

Paul Davis, Michigan State's 6-foot-11 sophomore, sliced the lead to 76-72 with a follow shot at the 2:22 mark.

</font> </div>
    Full Story

Overall, I am happy with this game. I am dissapointed that we lost, but I was expecting it. The Spartans being ranked number three (AP Poll, Dexter, you should only care about that one) was a mistake. It was not a mistake because Michigan State will not be a top three team, but because Michigan State isn't a top three team now. They are a very young team, and this was their first experience in a big game. For the first half of the game I didn't know what team I was watching. They were playing a style of ball that was totally different than their normal style. They were not getting back in transition and that killed them. They also did not have a point guard who was quick enough to guard Aaron Miles. I am happy because of their play at the end of the game. Davis came alive and Ager came alive. They were not doing anything the whole game, but really pounded it to Kansas for that late 12-2 run. Likely, the team that you saw at the end of the game is the team that the experts ranked number three overall. Likely, the team that you saw at the end of the game will be the same team that heads into the Duke game and not that other pitiful team that showed up for Bucknell and the first half of the Kansas game.

Anyway, they were ranked third (or fourth) and I wouldn't expect them to drop out of the top ten because they lost to the team right behind them, but if they do it doesn't matter. All that matters is the last lap, the tournament, where even the crummiest of Michigan State teams have thrived and the best of Kansas teams have choked.

11. Lostmyluggage

Lostmyluggage JBB JustBBall Member

I thought J.R. Giddens played very well.

12. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

He only had a few dunks really. Shannon Brown is the better player, easily, but he plays on a team stacked with SG's.

13. jbbKing James

Giddens has some major dunking ability, he is a freak.

14. Voodoo Child

Dunking ability means nothing, especially in the NCAA where dunking is unspokenly frowned upon. I thought it was real classless of Self to let his guys do so many in-your-face dunks on fast breaks.

15. jbbKing James

Settle down, nothing wrong with commenting on a players ability to get off the floor, it was a special jaw dropping moment he had in the game.

16. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting King James:</div><div class="quote_post">Settle down, nothing wrong with commenting on a players ability to get off the floor, it was a special jaw dropping moment he had in the game.</div>Indeed, there is no need to defend yourself. I wasn't attacking your post. Rather, I was attacking Bill Self and how he let his players have their way with the rim. It was simply classless.

17. goNBAjayhawks

goNBAjayhawks JBB JustBBall Member

I was impressed with Kansas this game. They played more physical then the perennial(sp?) tough team of the land in MSU. Foul trouble was a big thing with them and one of their best players, keith langford, basically missed the whole half and Kansas still was leading by 7 at half. Their three point shooting is obviously horrible, but Self has the right idea and letting them shoot and hope they start falling. Miles had a very fine game, he picked up the scoring load and showed why he is such a great point guard and one of the most underrated players in america, even KU fans lose him in the mix, but for good reason when he plays with the likes of Gooden, collison, hinrich, simien and Langford. Simien's domination was fun to watch and a big bright spot. Langford's late second half domination was comforting since he was forced to sit the bench half the game, and during that stretch he couldnt be stopped. Graves and Lee still havent got back to last years march-madness-late-season-run-form, but you can only expect that it will come soon. The 2 super frosh look do be the real deals, Padgett struggled and was a little weak with the ball in the post, but still a reasonable game considering he too was in foul trouble. Giddens was pure energy with his 3 big dunks that got the crowd really going. Even though MSU went on a run late to make it close I thought it was a pretty dominating performance by a very hungry KU team, that was clearly better at both ends. Given the top 10 losses recently and who KU has beat compared to UofA and Duke i think it would only be right to have KU number one in the new polls, and to think that this team isnt even close to where it will be, given the new system and players. They have a lot more potential to get better then a team like Uconn or Duke, or even MSU in terms of coaching stability and player loss/additions. All in All.... Roy who?

18. go_duke21

go_duke21 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Wave:</div><div class="quote_post">Indeed, there is no need to defend yourself. I wasn't attacking your post. Rather, I was attacking Bill Self and how he let his players have their way with the rim. It was simply classless.</div>
    So Giddens is supposed to lay in a fast break layup instead of taking it strong and dunking it? I was taught to take it strong to the rim and if you have the ability to dunk it, throw it down. In my opinion it is not a big deal at all to dunk, especially in a game like that where a big dunk can get the fans going, or quiet them if you aren't at home, and it can also demoralize the other team.

I can understand you being mad about this if Bill Self and Kansas are beating a lowly D1 team by 40 but in a big game like the one against MSU I think that they should be able to dunk it all they want. Whats the point of laying it up when you can dunk anyways??

19. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I was impressed with Kansas this game. They played more physical then the perennial(sp?) tough team of the land in MSU.</div>Michigan State lost the majority of their toughness when Aloysious Anagonye and Adam Ballinger left. They were the core of their strength and their main downlow presences.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Foul trouble was a big thing with them and one of their best players, keith langford, basically missed the whole half and Kansas still was leading by 7 at half.</div>Not only Langford, Padgett was also being raped by the reff's. It seemed like everytime he made a deffensive stop the reff's blew the whistle. Also, on the other end of the court, Michigan State let me down with their quick fouls. Delco Rowley, Paul Davis, and Chris Hill also finished the game with four fouls. They all diserved theirs though.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Their three point shooting is obviously horrible, but Self has the right idea and letting them shoot and hope they start falling.</div>As was the case with Michigan State who shot a weak thirty-eight percent. They had guys like Paul Davis throwing it up there from beyond the arch. The only thing that makes me extremely opptimistic about Michigan State's three point shooting is Maurice Ager. He shot eighty percent in the game against Kansas. He was simply on fire.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Miles had a very fine game, he picked up the scoring load and showed why he is such a great point guard and one of the most underrated players in america, even KU fans lose him in the mix, but for good reason when he plays with the likes of Gooden, collison, hinrich, simien and Langford.</div> I've been impressed with him also ever since I saw him against Holy Cross in the NCAA Tournament in 2001. Forget Simien, forget Langford, and forget Graves. The reason that Kansas won was because of Aaron Miles. Aaron Miles was too quick for the Michigan State backcourt. He would just weave right through them on offense and on deffense he collected seven steals. It killed me watching Miles stealing the ball and going on fastbreak layups time and time again. The kid almost got a triple-double with seventeen points, seven steals, and six assists.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The 2 super frosh look do be the real deals, Padgett struggled and was a little weak with the ball in the post, but still a reasonable game considering he too was in foul trouble. Giddens was pure energy with his 3 big dunks that got the crowd really going.</div>I thought that Padgett looked great minus the fouls. If he didn't pile up so many fouls and thus gotten more minutes he would have been very effective.Giddens was okay. He reminded me of Jason Richardson. He seemed very one dimensional. He was a great dunker, but that's all I saw in him. Hopefully Self can help the kid out.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Even though MSU went on a run late to make it close I thought it was a pretty dominating performance by a very hungry KU team, that was clearly better at both ends.</div>Unfortunately, you are spot on. Michigan State's run really showed that they are really a good team when they put forth the effort though and I am happy because of that. Against Duke I hope they can play that way the entire game because that's how a top twenty-five team is supposed to play.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Given the top 10 losses recently and who KU has beat compared to UofA and Duke i think it would only be right to have KU number one in the new polls, and to think that this team isnt even close to where it will be, given the new system and players. They have a lot more potential to get better then a team like Uconn or Duke, or even MSU in terms of coaching stability and player loss/additions.</div>I completely agree. If the rankings were done right the top six would look like this -

1)Kansas
    2)Duke
    3)Arizona
    4)Missouri
    5)Michigan State
    6)Connecticut (unless they lose to Arizona which I believe they will)

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">All in All.... Roy who?</div>Okay, so you like Bill Self, but did you like how he let his players have so many taunting dunks?

I don't know what Tom Izzo was thinking when he scheduled Kansas as the first real game of the season. I realize that he though Zach Randolph, Marcus Taylor, and Erazem Lorbek would be on the team, but going into Kansas for the first game of the season is too much to bare for any team not to mention a bunch of youngsters like Michigan State has on their hands.

20. goNBAjayhawks

goNBAjayhawks JBB JustBBall Member

I dont think Bill Self told his players to dunk and then taunt, i think it was more giddens trying to make a big impression in his first national game and with the atmostphere might have gone over the top with some post dunk stuff, but really there was nothing fancy about any of the dunks.